Skip to main content

Universities and colleges --Faculty

 Subject
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings

Found in 7 Collections and/or Records:

Corinne Lathrop Gilb Papers

 Collection
Identifier: WSP000708
Abstract The Corinne Lathrop Gilb Papers document Corinne Lathrop Gilb’s career from 1970 to 1994. During this time, she served as both a Wayne State University history professor and Co-Director of the Liberal Arts and Urban Studies program. Correspondence and reports related to her work at WSU are housed in Series 1, Wayne State University and Detroit Committee Papers. Her appointment as the City of Detroit’s Planning Director was from 1979 to 1985. Working under Mayor Coleman Young, Gilb created a...
Dates: 1970 - 1994

Robert Nielsen Papers

 Collection
Identifier: LP001828
Abstract Dr. Robert M. Nielsen was born in Nebraska in 1933. Dr. Nielsen became a professor of mathematics at the University of Delaware. In the late 1960s he was the co-founder of the AFT local for faculty at the university and was president from 1969-1973. In 1973 Nielsen became director of the AFT’s colleges and universities department in which he took both aspects of academic professionalism and union professionalism into creating a strong and viable department within the AFT. Dr. Nielsen was...
Dates: 1967 - 1993; Majority of material found within 1976 - 1983

Theodore D. Rice Papers

 Collection
Identifier: WSP002801
Abstract Dr. Theodore D. Rice (1904-1989) was a Professor of Education at Wayne State University (WSU) for fifteen years, from 1957 to 1972. He specialized in secondary education.
Dates: 1923 - 1982

Wayne State University Department of English Records

 Collection
Identifier: WSR000451
Abstract These records of the WSU English Department represent material accrued in three accession dates: 1978, 1979, and 1988. The arrangement of folders reflects these different accessions, so that similar subjects may appear in multiple places in the collection. The records include deliberations of major committees on policy, personnel and curriculum, as well as student requirements and activities on the undergraduate and graduate level. With these records, researchers could track changes in...
Dates: 1924 - 1987; Majority of material found within 1940 - 1970

Wayne State University Photograph Collection

 Collection
Identifier: WSAV002643
Abstract The University Relations Division dates back to the early days of the university and reflects the activities of WSU's public relations offices. Undergoing several name changes (Community Relations), reporting structures, and unit services, it maintained a focus on communication and interpretation of the university's work both internal and external to the university. By 1961, photography had become a major facet of public awareness programs. Sixteen years later as part of the Media Services and...
Dates: circa 1945-2003

Wayne State University School of Medicine Photographs and Audio-Visual Materials

 Collection
Identifier: WSAV002718
Abstract The Wayne State University School of Medicine had four important forerunners: Detroit MedicalCollege (1868-1885), Michigan College of Medicine (1879-1885), Detroit College of Medicine (1885-1913), and Detroit College of Medicine and Surgery (1913-1933). The collection consists of photograph prints and negatives of Wayne State University School of Medicine staff, students, and buildings. Photographs of staff and students are posed yearbook and identification photographs. Building photographs...
Dates: 1887 - 2003; Majority of material found within 1960 - 2003

Wayne State University: The South End Newspapers Photographs

 Collection
Identifier: WSAV002779
Abstract "The Collegian," the student-run newspaper of Detroit Junior College at Central High, published its first edition on March 6, 1918. At first a semi-monthly paper that printed mostly literary works, by 1922 the paper had become a weekly publication and its focus shifted to news. The paper changed its name in 1924 to "The Detroit Collegian," which reflected the school’s name change to the College of the City of Detroit. The paper underwent three further name changes: in 1953, the name changed to...
Dates: 1950 - 1990