Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Child welfare

 Subject
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings

Found in 4 Collections and/or Records:

Boys Republic Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR000914
Abstract Boys Republic was originally incorporated in 1890 as the Home of Industry with the express purpose of providing food, clothing, shelter and employment to prisoners discharged from Michigan correctional institutions. Around 1909, the Home acquired the unofficial name, Ford Republic, reflecting both the generosity of Mrs. E. L. Ford and her daughters, who provided money for a dormitory, power plant and water and sewage systems at the Home's new 70-acre farm northwest of Detroit, and the treatment...

JCA: National Council of Jewish Women, Greater Detroit Section Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR001647
Abstract In 1925, the Jewish Woman's Club of Detroit affiliated with the National Council of Jewish Women (NCJW, established in 1893) and became the National Council of Jewish Women, Detroit Section (now Greater Detroit Section). The group’s philanthropic mission remained to “promote kindness and helpfulness in general and to elevate the mental, moral and social status of young Jewish women in particular.” Over many decades NCJW-GDS has implemented many programs for child and family welfare. The...

Samuel Rabinovitz Papers

 Collection
Identifier: LP001055
Abstract Samuel Rabinovitz served as director of the Michigan Youth Commission, on the Board of Directors of the National Child Labor Committee, and on a number of committees addressing issues of delinquency and crime prevention, migrant labor, and student attrition. Mr. Rabinovitz’s papers primarily reflect his work on the National Child Labor Committee, and include materials related to the J.P. Stevens Boycott and National Committee on the Education of Migrant Children.

United Community Services Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR000420
Abstract United Community Services, operated in Detroit since 1878 under various names, was organized by civic leaders to coordinate the work of different charitable institutions in the area, and raise funds for community welfare needs. Gradually, it became a clearinghouse for the investigation and referral of social service cases as well as an advocate for social and health care reform. The records of the UCS reflect the concerns of professional social workers, the plight of the poor in late nineteenth...