Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 20 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract Born in Lenawee County Michigan, Miss Downer first taught in rural schools. Downer attended Michigan State Normal College in Ypsilanti, earning her Teacher’s Certificate in 1913. She then taught in Ypsilanti until 1917, when she began teaching at the Harris School in Detroit. From the Harris School she transferred to the Marr Elementary School, a teacher training school affiliated with the Detroit Teachers College, where she taught elementary students and supervised student teachers. Named...
Abstract Harrriette Bishop attended Detroit High School as a student and later taught mathematics there and at Central High School. Likewise, her daughter Helen Bishop, attended the same high school and taught at Central High. Their papers reflect their high school teaching careers, and, to a lesser degree, Helen's tenures at the College of the City of Detroit and Wayne University.
Abstract Professor Lynn H. Parsons taught American history at Wayne State University from 1965 until 1971. This collection consists of correspondence, reports, meeting minutes, a legal brief and newspaper clippings related to his grievance with the Wayne State History Department over its refusal to recommend him for tenure. His case, along with faculty layoffs in 1972, helped to build support for collective bargaining at the University. The files are arranged chronologically.
Abstract Dr. Esther McGinnis was the Director of the Merrill-Palmer Institute from 1947-1951. Prior to her appointment as Assistant Director in the 1930s, McGinnis was a professor of Family Life at the Child Welfare Institute at the University of Minnesota and at State Teaching College at Columbia University. Throughout her career at Merrill-Palmer she did consulting work for other universities as well as government committees. Dr. McGinnis' records span her career both before and during her time at...
Abstract J. William Rioux was the president of the Merrill-Palmer Institute from 1967-1973, prior to which he worked for the U.S. Department of Education. He was a native of Detroit and received his Ed. D. at Wayne State University. During his time at Merrill-Palmer he worked to diversify the student body, establish a graduate degree program, work with urban youth, and bring more students into the program. He also emphasized dissemination and publication of research by Merrill-Palmer faculty and...
Abstract Dr. Pauline Park Wilson Knapp was the president and director of the Merrill-Palmer Institute from 1952-1967. Knapp received her B.S. in Home Economics from the University of Kentucky and M.A. and Ph. D in Psychology from Columbia University. She established the first Child Development Center in Georgia in 1928, was head of the Department of Family and Life at the University of Alabama from 1941-45 and the Dean of the School of Home Economics at the University of Georgia from 1946-52. In...
Abstract Mildred Jeffrey worked as an organizer for the Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America, as Educational Director of the Pennsylvania Joint Board of Shirt Workers, as a consultant to the War Labor Board, as Director of the United Auto Workers (UAW) Women’s Bureau, and as Director for UAW Community Relations and Consumer Affairs Departments. Ms. Jeffrey was also active in the Democratic Party and was a founding member and chair of the National Organization of Women’s (NOW) political arm, the...
Abstract Vergil Phelps was an instructor of rhetoric and English, College of the City of Detroit from 1924-1928, amid a long career as a lecturer and teacher. The papers of Phelps reflect his interests in the areas of effective communication in business, government, personal relationships and daily living.
Wayne State University College of Education, Dean’s Office: Detroit Public Schools Monitoring Commission on Desegregation Records
Abstract The Detroit Public Schools Monitoring Commission on Desegregation was created by the City of Detroit to comply with the ruling of Milliken v. Bradley, which dealt with desegregation busing. This United States Supreme Court ruling settled the issue of de jure vs. de facto segregation and effectively confirmed that segregation was allowed if it was not an explicit policy of the school district. As a result, the commission's charge was to oversee the busing plan across multiple school districts in...
Collection — Box WSU Small Processed Collections: Box 1, Folder: 4
Abstract NCATE Committee records document the accreditation of the college by the NCATE, including correspondence of John C. Sullivan, Professor of Education.
Abstract Mr. Pelham worked at Wayne State University from 1954 to 1968, and held both faculty and administrative positions. He began as a part-time faculty member in the Department of Political Science. Pelham became an associate professor in 1957, and assumed additional duties with the finance office in 1959. He took an eighteen-month leave of absence to serve as the first African-American controller for the City of Detroit. Upon his return in 1964, he became Assistant Vice President of Finance. He was...
Wayne State University Institute of Labor and Industrial Relations Area Manpower Institute for Development of Staff Records
Abstract The Area Manpower Institute for Development of Staff (AMIDS) was funded by the United States Department of Education, Manpower Division, and sponsored by the University of Michigan-Wayne State University, Institute of Labor and Industrial Relations. The goal of the project was to improve professional skills of staff working with vocational education, manpower, economic development, and human resources programs. Public school personnel and government agency workers were targeted. Joseph V. Tuma,...
Abstract First organized as the Friends of the Hooker Scientific Library at Fayette, Missouri in 1938. In 1942 the Hooker Library was transferred to Wayne University and enlarged. It initially consisted of books and journals focusing on the subject of chemistry. Lectures given at the Frontiers in Chemistry Lecture series are contained in the collection from 1948-1967.
Abstract This school began in 1944. Its purpose was to develop a program in the field of occupational health and medicine that would include research, service and education. The center of interest focused on the promotion and maintenance of employee health. Its 3 main concerns covered technology, human relationships in industry and administration of occupational health programs.
Wayne State University University Services and Development Vice President William E. Stirton Records
Abstract These papers include Mr. Stirton’s files as Vice President, his files as Assistant to the President and Director of the Division of Community Relations. Some of the files of John Richards, Stirton’s predecessor as Assistant to the President are included in the collection.Mr. Stirton began as a member of Cass Technical High School faculty in 1925. He accepted the position of principal at Cass Tech in 1946. William Stirton held a bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering and a...
Abstract The Detroit Normal Training School was founded in 1881 by the Detroit Board of Education in order to train teachers for Detroit's public schools. The Normal School was renamed the Detroit Teachers College in 1920; in 1933, the Detroit Teachers College became the College of Education of the newly formed Wayne University.
Abstract This collection chronicles the federal Freshman College Project. The aim of the Project was to employ teachers, and give one year of college education to those in financial need. In 1935, the program name was changed to: “Community Colleges.” This collection shows the Colleges’ organization, governmental implementation, community response and the difficulties that led to its termination.
Abstract These papers reflect the history of the Medical library from 1900 through July 1949. Most of the material was donated in 1923 by the Medical Society library to the Detroit Public Library. The collection ends with the full incorporation of the medical library into the Wayne University Libraries group in 1949.
Abstract An interdisciplinary, university-wide program of undergraduate and professional instruction in the broad field of family life was developed by President David Henry, Dean of Administration Clarence B. Hilberry, Dean of the College of Nursing, Katherine Favile, and Dean of the College of Liberal Arts, Victor A. Rapport. The 5-year teaching and research program was funded via grants from the Children’s Bureau of the Michigan Department of Health. In 1951-52, the Child Growth and Development...