Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:
Detroit Commission on Community Relations (DCCR) / Human Rights Department Photographs and Other Material
Abstract The Commission on Community Relations evolved from the City of Detroit Mayor's Interracial Committee in 1953 and was renamed in 1974 as the Human Rights Department. All three iterations served a common purpose: to make recommendations to improve governmental services affecting racial relations, and to promote understanding between the races. Collection consists of photographs documenting its efforts to overcome racial discrimination and improve race relations in the Detroit metropolitan area...
Dates: 1948 - 1979
Abstract The Michigan Farm Worker Ministry Coalition, active from 1978 through the 1990s, worked to assist farm workers’ organizing efforts and to improve their access to health care and education. This collection consists of photographs documenting their activities and the activities of related organizations, as well as audio recordings, posters, banners, and other ephemera.
Dates: 1953 - 1993
Abstract Dr. Robinson was the second black physician to receive advanced residency training in Detroit, and the first elected to the Detroit Board of Education (1955). He was prominent in the struggle for social justice in Detroit's public schools and hospitals. The bulk of the collection comprises correspondence, minutes, and a variety of printed material relating to his years on the Detroit Board of Education. Also included are correspondence and some campaign literature on his unsuccessful bid for a...
Dates: 1928 - 1970; Majority of material found within 1953 - 1970