Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 5 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract Jewish Family Service of Metropolitan Detroit (JFS) is a social service organization for the Detroit area Jewish community. Founded in 1928, the organization was created from the joining of the Hebrew Ladies Sewing Circle and the Self Help Circle. JFS mostly aided Jewish families new to America until the aftermath of the WWII. After the war, JFS worked towards the resettlement of Holocaust survivors and Jewish refugees displaced by the Soviet Union. Today, JFS performs a variety of social...
Dates: 1918 - 2000
Abstract Tracy W. and Katherine McGregor established the McGregor fund in 1925 in order to ensure that their financial resources would continue to be used for social, educational, and charitable programs. Both of the McGregors were lifelong philanthropists, with Tracy heading a mission for the homeless from 1891 to 1936 and Katherine volunteering at numerous organizations, establishing an orphanage and facility for the aid of young mothers, and donating extensively to a number of local charities. They...
Dates: 1893 - 2003; Majority of material found within 1925 - 1955
Abstract The Michigan Farm Worker Ministry Coalition, active from 1978 through the 1990s, worked to assist farm workers’ organizing efforts and to improve their access to health care and education. This collection consists of photographs documenting their activities and the activities of related organizations, as well as audio recordings, posters, banners, and other ephemera.
Dates: 1953 - 1993
Abstract The Sigma Gamma Association started with a handful of Detroit-area young women meeting together for social activities in 1904. They soon formalized their club with a constitution and started performing charitable activities for local children. After years spent steadily increasing their numbers and philanthropy, the polio outbreak of 1916 precipitated the Sigma Gammas to focus their mission on pediatric orthopedics. This led to the establishment of the Sigma Gamma Clinic for Crippled Children...
Dates: 1907 - 2001
Abstract Walter Laidlaw established the United Foundation in 1948 through the merger of the Detroit Community Chest and other Detroit charitable organizations that had traditionally combined fund raising efforts. The goal of the United Foundation was to further centralize those efforts, and to generate mass fund raising campaigns such as the Torch Drive, which was first held in 1949. The United Foundation was closely affiliated with the United Community Services of Metropolitan Detroit, and became...
Dates: 1929 - 1950; Majority of material found within 1935 - 1949