Hospitals -- -- Administration
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 5 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract Part 1 of the AFSCME Public Policy Analysis Department Records focuses on Deinstitutionalization, particularly at Wayne County General Hospital (WCGH). The hospital complex was located in western Wayne County, Michigan, approximately 16 miles west of downtown Detroit. Deinstitutionalization represented a major change in philosophy for mental health treatment delivery and was the term given to the process whereby mentally ill patients were moved out of large public hospitals and into smaller...
Abstract Children's Hospital of Michigan was conceived and founded in 1886 as the Children's Free Hospital Association after a general practitioner, Dr. Charles Devandorf, realized that there were no facilities in the Detroit community which provided for the medical care of sick children of indigent parents. He sought the support of a group of socially prominent women whom he asked to provide funds to subsidize "free beds" for the care of such children. They began with just twelve beds at Harper...
Abstract Grace Hospital opened for patients in December, 1888 with seventy-five beds. It expanded rapidly over the next several decades, serving over 15,000 inpatients and 90,000 outpatients by its fiftieth year, 1938, and opening the Northwest Branch in 1942. Building additions in 1953 and 1964 made Grace the second largest voluntary non-profit hospital in Michigan. Grace and Harper Hospitals merged in 1973 and consolidated with other hospitals in the newly-created Detroit Medical Center in 1985. The...
Abstract Sinai Hospital was created out of a demand for a hospital that would provide staff affiliations for Jewish doctors and care for patients in Detroit, free of the discrimination found in hospitals in the early 1900s. Through considerable fund raising over many decades, the hospital broke ground in 1951, opened in 1953 and underwent tremendous growth and development over the years. Sinai Hospital was sold to the Detroit Medical Center in 1997. It was closed in 1999 and merged with Grace Hospital...
Abstract Marion Josephine Wright was a registered nurse at Harper Hospital and later at Jennings Memorial Hospital in Detroit, MI. She was a member of the Board of Directors of the District Nurses Association, a Vice-President if the Detroit Council on Community Nursing, and was on the advisory committee for the Practical Nurses school. In the early 1950s, Wright was the Associate Director of Harper Hospital. During her tenure as associate director, she was the author of many articles on patient care,...