Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 6 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract The American Federation of Teachers was founded in 1916 and immediately made the American Teacher, published by the New York City Teachers Union, as its official organ. Since then the AFT has published numerous publications that range from organizing tools to professional development materials for its members. It has also published materials dealing with the labor movement, tenure, civil and human rights as well as teaching tools. Official publications of the AFT also spoke directly to the...
Abstract Flora Suhd Hommel was one of the pioneers who brought the Lamaze psychoprophylactic method of painless childbirth to the United States, establishing an important teaching organization in Detroit, the Childbirth Without Pain Education Association (CWPEA). She championed the rights of women to control childbirth, creating a grass-roots movement contemporaneous with the women’s movement of the 1960s-1970s. Hommel and the CWPEA were important catalysts in establishing similar childbirth and...
Abstract The Folklore Archive, established in 1939 by WSU English professors Emlyn Gardner and Thelma James, contains the oldest and largest record of urban folk traditions in the United States. To document these traditions, Wayne State University students conducted field research projects that included oral history interviews. Collection consists of audio recordings of 55 interviews (or aggregations of multiple interviews on a single topic) conducted by student interviewer-collectors, some of which,...
Abstract In November, 1868, seven members of the Ladies’ Christian Union opened the Woman’s Hospital and Foundlings’ Home in a tenement at Cass Avenue and Montcalm Street, a private, non-profit institution and the first facility in Detroit dedicated to providing care and shelter for abandoned, widowed and unwed mothers and their babies. In 1965, Woman’s Hospital changed its name to Hutzel Hospital and continued its devotion to research into the diseases of women. It is now part of the Detroit Medical...
Abstract Marion Josephine Wright was a registered nurse at Harper Hospital and later at Jennings Memorial Hospital in Detroit, MI. She was a member of the Board of Directors of the District Nurses Association, a Vice-President if the Detroit Council on Community Nursing, and was on the advisory committee for the Practical Nurses school. In the early 1950s, Wright was the Associate Director of Harper Hospital. During her tenure as associate director, she was the author of many articles on patient care,...
Abstract The Medical Science Center was organized as a nonprofit corporation at the request of the Detroit Board of Education. Its mission was to raise money for, and build one of the world's outstanding medical centers in Detroit, affiliated with Wayne University. Capital costs were to be borne by foundation support and private donations, but unsuccessful in this endeavor, the Center was finally dissolved in 1951.