Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 7 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract The Detroit Academy of Medicine was first organized on September 21, 1869, in part as an outgrowth of the establishment of the Detroit Medical College in 1868. Its object was the development of closer professional and social relationships between members of the medical profession in Detroit. It’s membership was kept small in the interest of promoting easily assembled gatherings where all could have a chance to speak and present, and the organization did not seek to encompass the whole of the...
Dates: 1869 - 2014; Majority of material found within 1902 - 1989
Abstract Flora Suhd Hommel was one of the pioneers who brought the Lamaze psychoprophylactic method of painless childbirth to the United States, establishing an important teaching organization in Detroit, the Childbirth Without Pain Education Association (CWPEA). She championed the rights of women to control childbirth, creating a grass-roots movement contemporaneous with the women’s movement of the 1960s-1970s. Hommel and the CWPEA were important catalysts in establishing similar childbirth and...
Dates: 1950 - 2005; Majority of material found within 1950 - 1989
Abstract Grace Hospital opened for patients in December, 1888 with seventy-five beds. It expanded rapidly over the next several decades, serving over 15,000 inpatients and 90,000 outpatients by its fiftieth year, 1938, and opening the Northwest Branch in 1942. Building additions in 1953 and 1964 made Grace the second largest voluntary non-profit hospital in Michigan. Grace and Harper Hospitals merged in 1973 and consolidated with other hospitals in the newly-created Detroit Medical Center in 1985. The...
Dates: 1880 - 1993
Abstract Harold Mack, M.D. was a professor of gynecology and obstetrics at Wayne State University School of Medicine, joining the faculty in 1931 and eventually becoming Chair. He retired Professor Emeritus in 1970. His papers primarily reflect his writings and achievements, as well as his involvement in the Detroit medical community.
Dates: 1912 - 1969; Majority of material found within 1947 - 1963
Abstract Sinai Hospital was created out of a demand for a hospital that would provide staff affiliations for Jewish doctors and care for patients in Detroit, free of the discrimination found in hospitals in the early 1900s. Through considerable fund raising over many decades, the hospital broke ground in 1951, opened in 1953 and underwent tremendous growth and development over the years. Sinai Hospital was sold to the Detroit Medical Center in 1997. It was closed in 1999 and merged with Grace Hospital...
Dates: 1900 - 1999; Majority of material found within 1950 - 1999
Abstract Dr. Laertus Connor was Professor of Diseases of the Eye and Ear and Clinical Opthamology and Otology at the Detroit College of Medicine in the late 1800s and early 1900s. His papers consist of a scrapbook of newspaper clippings and commencement programs concerning medical education around that time.
Dates: 1876 - 1891