Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 23 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract AFSCME has produced a regularly published magazine since its inception. Publication duties for this organ and other materials were accomplished by the Education and Publications Department for the first twenty years of AFSCME’s existence. The 1954 Convention, however, passed Resolution 14, establishing a Publications and Public Relations Department. This new department would continue to publish the AFSCME magazine and other materials and would also take on new media public relations duties both...
Dates: 1967 - 2002
Abstract Gerald W. McEntee became president of AFSCME in 1981. Some of the issues reflected in Part I of this collection include the anti-apartheid movement; health care reform, especially under the Clinton White House; affirmative action; AIDS; presidential politics and union campaign support; international labor relations; and legislative affairs. The records also include information on state locals and councils, AFSCME's relationship to other labor unions and organizations, and AFSCME's judicial...
Dates: 1977 - 2003; Majority of material found within 1982 - 2003
Abstract Citizen Action (CA) was founded in 1979 by former members of Students for a Democratic Society and the Indochina Peace Campaign as a coalition of state and national liberal consumer and activist groups. It organized door-to-door canvassers to work on the state level promoting CA membership and educating the public on issues such as health care, energy, environmental concerns, and auto insurance. Citizen Action was also active in election campaigns on the local, state and national level to...
Dates: 1973 - 1993; Majority of material found within 1980 - 1989
Abstract The Detroit Academy of Medicine was first organized on September 21, 1869, in part as an outgrowth of the establishment of the Detroit Medical College in 1868. Its object was the development of closer professional and social relationships between members of the medical profession in Detroit. It’s membership was kept small in the interest of promoting easily assembled gatherings where all could have a chance to speak and present, and the organization did not seek to encompass the whole of the...
Dates: 1869 - 2014; Majority of material found within 1902 - 1989
Abstract The Economic Alliance for Michigan was established as a non-profit labor and business coalition by for-profit companies and unions in 1982. It was founded to create a forum to discuss issues they all faced in their day-to-day operations and implement plans to mitigate these problems. Their ultimate goal is to revive Michigan’s economy and preserve these working conditions to make the state a great place in which to do business and be employed. Some of the issues they are taking action on in...
Dates: 1982 - 1985
Abstract Grace Hospital opened for patients in December, 1888 with seventy-five beds. It expanded rapidly over the next several decades, serving over 15,000 inpatients and 90,000 outpatients by its fiftieth year, 1938, and opening the Northwest Branch in 1942. Building additions in 1953 and 1964 made Grace the second largest voluntary non-profit hospital in Michigan. Grace and Harper Hospitals merged in 1973 and consolidated with other hospitals in the newly-created Detroit Medical Center in 1985. The...
Dates: 1880 - 1993
Abstract Harold Mack, M.D. was a professor of gynecology and obstetrics at Wayne State University School of Medicine, joining the faculty in 1931 and eventually becoming Chair. He retired Professor Emeritus in 1970. His papers primarily reflect his writings and achievements, as well as his involvement in the Detroit medical community.
Dates: 1912 - 1969; Majority of material found within 1947 - 1963
Abstract Harper Hospital was founded in May 1863 on land donated by Walter Harper. The hospitals first patients were Civil War soldiers, and it continued its designation as a military hospital during both World Wars. In 1866 Harper Hospital opened as a general hospital and would add a nursing school in 1883. The hospital's records relate to the history of both the hospital and its School of Nursing.
Dates: 1857 - 1989
Abstract In November, 1868, seven members of the Ladies’ Christian Union opened the Woman’s Hospital and Foundlings’ Home in a tenement at Cass Avenue and Montcalm Street, a private, non-profit institution and the first facility in Detroit dedicated to providing care and shelter for abandoned, widowed and unwed mothers and their babies. In 1965, Woman’s Hospital changed its name to Hutzel Hospital and continued its devotion to research into the diseases of women. It is now part of the Detroit Medical...
Dates: 1868 - 1994
Abstract Sinai Hospital was created out of a demand for a hospital that would provide staff affiliations for Jewish doctors and care for patients in Detroit, free of the discrimination found in hospitals in the early 1900s. Through considerable fund raising over many decades, the hospital broke ground in 1951, opened in 1953 and underwent tremendous growth and development over the years. Sinai Hospital was sold to the Detroit Medical Center in 1997. It was closed in 1999 and merged with Grace Hospital...
Dates: 1900 - 1999; Majority of material found within 1950 - 1999
Abstract Dr. Laertus Connor was Professor of Diseases of the Eye and Ear and Clinical Opthamology and Otology at the Detroit College of Medicine in the late 1800s and early 1900s. His papers consist of a scrapbook of newspaper clippings and commencement programs concerning medical education around that time.
Dates: 1876 - 1891
Abstract Mrs. Jeannette Cleary, Vice-President of the Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom, organized the Metropolitan Coalition of Women in early 1968. Over forty women's organizations from metropolitan Detroit responded to a call from Mrs. Cleary in the aftermath of the 1967 riot and voted in February to organize a coalition, which would meet monthly to "establish better communications in the community among all peoples in order to reduce tension and create greater understanding towards...
Dates: 1968 - 1973
Abstract Mildred Jeffrey worked as an organizer for the Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America, as Educational Director of the Pennsylvania Joint Board of Shirt Workers, as a consultant to the War Labor Board, as Director of the United Auto Workers (UAW) Women’s Bureau, and as Director for UAW Community Relations and Consumer Affairs Departments. Ms. Jeffrey was also active in the Democratic Party and was a founding member and chair of the National Organization of Women’s (NOW) political arm, the...
Dates: 1920 - 2004; Majority of material found within 1950 - 1979
Abstract The Downriver chapter of NOW was formed in 1974 by Loretta Moore, a Wayne State University professor, who was elected the chapter’s first president. The chapter was active in supporting local, state and national policy concerning women’s rights, participated in marches, rallies and walkathons and also endorsed pro-women’s rights candidates. They hosted and participated in numerous programs for local women, set up networks and resources for the community, established a library for members...
Dates: 1971 - 1994
Abstract Dr. Rachel Boone Keith came to Detroit from New York City in 1951 after receiving her medical degree from Boston University and was an internist in private practice from that point forward, practicing medicine at several Detroit area hospitals. Dr. Keith served on a number of professional commissions and committees and was active in civic, cultural, and educational organizations, including her work as a lifetime member of the NAACP. Dr. Keith’s papers document her education, professional...
Dates: 1937 - 2007; Majority of material found within 1970 - 2006
Abstract Raymond Hood served Detroit’s 7th District in the Michigan House of Representatives. Mr. Hood’s papers document his work in the Michigan state legislature, particularly his service in the Labor, Mental Health, Public Health, and Environment committees.
Dates: 1961 - 1982
Abstract The Service Employees International Union (SEIU) was founded in 1921 as a union of flat janitors. Over the years it has grown in size and scope, and now comprises three divisions: healthcare, property services, and public services. The records of SEIU’s Communications Department document the International’s mass mailings from 1974 through 1987. Included in the collection are (predominately) monthly summaries listing all the mass mailings sent by the International (with the exceptions of June...
Dates: 1976 - 1987; Majority of material found within 1978 - 1987
Collection — Box Small Processed Collections, Box 16, Folder: 5
Abstract Ted Ellsworth worked as a health care consultant though he also participated in a number of other activities and roles. He helped form the Motion Picture Health and Welfare Fund and served as an adminstrator. He also worked at the Institute of Industrial Relations and served as Chairman of the Health Plan Consultants Committee (HPCC). The HPCC was comprised of AFL and CIO union representatives and worked to access better health services. He passed away on April 26, 1996 at 90 years...
Dates: 1956 - 1995
Abstract Since the formation of the United Auto Workers Union in 1935, union members have been actively involved in U.S. and international politics. Individual union members, from the highest ranking officer to the newest rank and file member have testified before Congress on issues ranging from trade and health care to housing and public welfare. Beginning in 1938 and ending in 2009 this collection documents the history of UAW members’ appearances before Congressional Committees. This collection...
Dates: 1938 - 2009; Majority of material found within 1958 - 1991
Abstract In 1956, UAW President Walter Reuther enlisted community support for a prepaid group medical practice approach to health care. The purchase of Metropolitan Hospital on Detroit’s west side was the first major step taken to start the plan. The plan was received with great skepticism by many Detroit area physicians, who considered the new approach “socialized medicine,” but the controversy ended in 1959, when the American Medical Association dropped its longstanding ban against prepaid group...
Dates: 1954 - 1972
Abstract United Community Services, operated in Detroit since 1878 under various names, was organized by civic leaders to coordinate the work of different charitable institutions in the area, and raise funds for community welfare needs. Gradually, it became a clearinghouse for the investigation and referral of social service cases as well as an advocate for social and health care reform. The records of the UCS reflect the concerns of professional social workers, the plight of the poor in late nineteenth...
Dates: 1878 - 1945; Majority of material found within 1910 - 1938