Skip to main content Skip to search results

Showing Collections: 1 - 11 of 11

Brookwood Labor College Photographs

 Collection
Identifier: LAV000567_BLC
Abstract Brookwood Labor College in Katonah, New York was founded in 1921 as an experimental college for labor specific classes. It was a residential college different from traditional colleges. It only lasted until 1937 when it fell victim to the depression. Collection documents students, faculty, and other labor leaders affiliated with the school, as well as the buildings and grounds of the Brookwood Labor College. Classes, Brookwood Labor Player performances, and other student activities are also...

Bruce L. Harkness Poletown Photographs

 Collection
Identifier: WSAV002727
Abstract Bruce Harkness photographed the area known as “Poletown,” a multi-ethnic, multi-racial urban area on Detroit’s East Side, from February to December 1981. These photographs document the hundreds of buildings and businesses that were demolished to make way for the construction of a General Motors assembly plant. In addition, Harkess captured vibrant urban exteriors and interiors, neighborhood landmarks, residents, and street scenes. The collection is comprised of 200 8’x10’ silver gelatin,...

Charles F. Kellogg Papers

 Collection
Identifier: UP001419
Abstract Charles Flint Kellogg was a respected historian, Professor of American History, and Chair of the Department of History at Dickinson College in Carlisle, Pennsylvania. He was awarded grant money to study the history of the NAACP. His papers contain manuscripts, research, photographs, and notes used to write his 1967 book, NAACP: A History of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. Volume I: 1909-1920, which describes the beginnings of the organization, its leaders, and...

Detroit Commission on Community Relations (DCCR) / Human Rights Department Photographs and Other Material

 Collection
Identifier: UAV000267
Abstract The Commission on Community Relations evolved from the City of Detroit Mayor's Interracial Committee in 1953 and was renamed in 1974 as the Human Rights Department. All three iterations served a common purpose: to make recommendations to improve governmental services affecting racial relations, and to promote understanding between the races. Collection consists of photographs documenting its efforts to overcome racial discrimination and improve race relations in the Detroit metropolitan area...

Jerome P. Cavanagh Photographs and Other Material

 Collection
Identifier: UAV000379
Abstract The Jerome P. Cavanagh Photographs and Other Material consists of numerous photographs, the majority of which were taken during his time in office. These photographs cover events such as the 1968 Olympic Bid, visits from Lyndon B. Johnson, aftermath of the 1967 unrest, and Mayor Cavanagh with various prominent Detroit business people, union members, and politicians. Also included in the collection is memorabilia from his 1966 Senate campaign, 1968 Olympic information, and other various...

MaryAnn Mahaffey Audio-Visual Material

 Collection
Identifier: UAV001514
Abstract [Abstract]

Michigan Farm Worker Ministry Coalition Photographs and Audio-Visual and Other Materials

 Collection
Identifier: LAV000895
Abstract The Michigan Farm Worker Ministry Coalition, active from 1978 through the 1990s, worked to assist farm workers’ organizing efforts and to improve their access to health care and education. This collection consists of photographs documenting their activities and the activities of related organizations, as well as audio recordings, posters, banners, and other ephemera.

National Sharecroppers Fund Photographs

 Collection
Identifier: LAV000393
Abstract The National Sharecroppers Fund (NSF) was incorporated in 1943 and grew out of “National Sharecroppers Week,” an annual event intended to rally support for the Southern Tenant Farmers Union. NSF was founded to provide financial assistance and information on government aid programs to organizations dedicated to improving living conditions for the rural poor. The photograph collection consists of images documenting NSF activities and the lives of sharecroppers and their families from the 1940s...

Student Field Projects Photographs

 Collection
Identifier: WSAV002714
Abstract The Folklore Archive, established in 1939 by WSU English professors Emlyn Gardner and Thelma James, contains the oldest and largest record of urban folk traditions in the United States. To document these traditions, Wayne State University students conducted field research projects, some of which included photographic records. Collection consists of 71 projects (or aggregations of multiple projects on a single topic) conducted by student interviewer-collectors. Student field research projects...

Wayne State University Photograph Collection

 Collection
Identifier: WSAV002643
Abstract The University Relations Division dates back to the early days of the university and reflects the activities of WSU's public relations offices. Undergoing several name changes (Community Relations), reporting structures, and unit services, it maintained a focus on communication and interpretation of the university's work both internal and external to the university. By 1961, photography had become a major facet of public awareness programs. Sixteen years later as part of the Media Services and...

Wayne State University: The South End Newspapers Photographs

 Collection
Identifier: WSAV002779
Abstract "The Collegian," the student-run newspaper of Detroit Junior College at Central High, published its first edition on March 6, 1918. At first a semi-monthly paper that printed mostly literary works, by 1922 the paper had become a weekly publication and its focus shifted to news. The paper changed its name in 1924 to "The Detroit Collegian," which reflected the school’s name change to the College of the City of Detroit. The paper underwent three further name changes: in 1953, the name changed to...