Showing Collections: 1 - 25 of 26
Abstract Emma Lazaroff Schaver (March 15, 1905 - February 4, 2003) was best known as a Jewish opera and folk singer and Labor Zionist. She was a member of the first Jewish delegation to the Displaced Persons camps after World War II where she sang to survivors of the Holocaust. She toured the United States, Canada, Europe and South and Central America as a soprano with various opera companies and as a soloist. Along with her husband, Morris Schaver, Emma was respected for promoting Jewish culture in the...
Abstract The Folklore Archive, established in 1939 by WSU English professors Emlyn Gardner and Thelma James, contains the oldest and largest record of urban folk traditions in the United States. To document these traditions, Wayne State University students conducted field research projects that included oral history interviews. Collection consists of audio recordings of 55 interviews (or aggregations of multiple interviews on a single topic) conducted by student interviewer-collectors, some of which,...
Abstract The Folklore Archive, established in 1939 by WSU English professors Emlyn Gardner and Thelma James, contains the oldest and largest record of urban folk traditions in the United States. To document these traditions, Wayne State University students conducted field research projects covering a broad range of topics. These projects typically consist of transcripts of oral interviews conducted by the students as part of their research. The collection is strong in modern industrial and occupational...
Abstract The Janice Charach Gallery was established by Natalie and Manny Charach on June 13, 1990 in memory of their daughter Janice Charach, a young and accomplished artist. In the fall of 1990, ground broke on a 7,200 square-foot art wing at the Maple-Drake Jewish Community Center. The Charach Gallery officially opened with its premier exhibition “The Art of Collection: The Jewish Collector’s Experience” in July 1991. In 2015, the gallery celebrated its 25th anniversary. The Janice Charach Gallery...
Abstract Adat Shalom Synagogue was founded as the Northwest Hebrew Congregation and Center in 1944. The Adat Shalom papers reflect the activities of the congregation and its member organizations. Included in the collection are the papers of Rabbi Jacob Segal and the papers of the office of the congregation's Executive Director.
Abstract The Auxiliary for the Jewish Home and Aging Services (formerly the Jewish Home for the Aged) was established along with the incorporation of the first Jewish Old Folks Home in Detroit in 1907. This organization has also been know as the Jewish Home for the Aged Auxiliary and is most recently known as Jewish Senior Life Auxiliary. It was primarily a women’s service organization until the mid-1930s, when it formally became the Auxiliary. Its mission is to render services to and enhance the lives...
Abstract The Benyas Photographic Negative Collection was donated to the JFMD Jewish Community Archives by photographer Bob Benyas in 1991. Benyas's photographs, here in negative form, document the activities of the Detroit area Jewish community, primarily the Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit and its many divisions and committees, including events such as annual meetings, campaign events, dignitary visits, and the Jewish Book Fair. Among the organizations included are the Jewish Community...
Abstract Birmingham Temple was founded by Rabbi Sherwin T. Wine and chartered in 1963. The temple's records reflect its activities and contain items relating to the Jewish community in metropolitan Detroit.
Abstract Hadassah, the Women's Zionist Organization of America, was founded in 1912 by Henrietta Szold in New York City with a mission to provide health care to the people living in Palestine. In 1916, Szold visited Detroit and helped start a local Hadassah chapter. Through its fundraising efforts Hadassah supports local, charitable projects as well as healthcare, research, education and social services programs in Israel.
Abstract The B’nai B’rith Hillel Foundation (“Hillel”) dates back to 1923, when it was founded as a support system for Jewish students at colleges with small Jewish populations. In the mid-1990s, Hillel split from B’nai B’rith, renaming itself Hillel: The Foundation for Jewish Campus Life.The Hillel Foundation at Wayne State University (WSU) was founded in 1945. Since its inception, it has undergone several name changes, including Metro Detroit Hillel, and as of 2017 it is known...
Abstract JARC, formerly the Jewish Association for Retarded Citizens, was incorporated in 1969 as the Parents Association for Jewish Residential Care. The papers reflect the activities of JARC, a non-sectarian, non-profit agency, which provides residential, vocational and recreational services for developmentally disabled children and adults in Oakland County, Michigan. Advocacy and family assistance programs are also part of JARC's mission.
Abstract The Jewish Welfare Federation, later known as the Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit (JFMD), and its various divisions and agencies maintained files of minutes of their leadership meetings and collected material pertaining to their organization in scrapbooks. This collection includes the microfilmed minute books of the Jewish Welfare Federation, United Jewish Charities and the Detroit Service Group, as well as scrapbooks of the Jewish Federation and its Women’s Division, and the Hebrew...
Abstract The Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit (Federation or JFMD) is an umbrella organization for many Jewish social service agencies in the Detroit metropolitan area that promotes philanthropy and volunteerism in the Detroit Jewish community. The papers of the Federation document the activities of the organization, its history, and the activities of its member organizations and of organizations with which it has affiliated, including the Council of Jewish Welfare Federations,...
Abstract Leonard Simons was a business man active in the Detroit secular and Jewish communities. His papers reflect his work with many civic and charitable organizations such Wayne State University, Wayne State University Press, Sinai Hospital of Detroit and the Detroit Historical Commission. The papers also show his personal interests, such as travel and book collecting.
Abstract In 1925, the Jewish Woman's Club of Detroit affiliated with the National Council of Jewish Women (NCJW, established in 1893) and became the National Council of Jewish Women: Detroit Section (now Greater Detroit Section). The group’s philanthropic mission remained to “promote kindness and helpfulness in general and to elevate the mental, moral and social status of young Jewish women in particular.” Over many decades NCJW-GDS has implemented many programs for child and family welfare. The NCJW:...
Abstract Philip Slomovitz, often referred to as the dean of Jewish-American journalists, had a prolific career. He founded The Jewish News in Detroit in 1942 and for almost fifty years used the paper as a vehicle to champion Jewish causes as well as promote amity among diverse peoples. He reported on many history-making events, both locally and internationally, keeping background files to aid him in his writings. It is these files and correspondence that make up the bulk of his papers.
Abstract Robert Aronson began his career with the Milwaukee Jewish Federation, serving as executive director beginning in 1983 and as executive vice president beginning in 1987. After six years of leadership with the Milwaukee Jewish Federation, Aronson joined the Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit (JFMD) as Chief Operating Officer, a position which he held for twenty years. The Aronson years at the JFMD saw much change and evolutionincluding financing, expanding, and revitalizing facilities and...
Abstract Sinai Hospital Guild was a Women's Auxiliary, appointed by the hospital's board of trustees, made up of women from several Jewish community organizations around Detroit. Their focus was to establish and train a corps of volunteer who would assist in patient, clerical, and general hospital support. Their records document their activities until the hospital was closed.
Abstract Sinai Hospital was created out of a demand for a hospital that would provide staff affiliations for Jewish doctors and care for patients in Detroit, free of the discrimination found in hospitals in the early 1900s. Through considerable fund raising over many decades, the hospital broke ground in 1951, opened in 1953 and underwent tremendous growth and development over the years. Sinai Hospital was sold to the Detroit Medical Center in 1997. It was closed in 1999 and merged with Grace Hospital...
Abstract Jewish Community Archives: Small Collections is comprised of records, papers, photos, scrapbooks and artifacts, ranging in size from one item to a couple of boxes, of various individuals, families and organizations within the Jewish community of the Detroit area from the 19th century to the 1990. Individuals include Sarah Friedman, Meyer Prentis, Emma Lazaroff Schaver and Judge Charles C. Simons. Families include the Butzels and the Flayers. Organizations include the Alpha Omega dental...
Abstract Sol Panush was born on October 20, 1919, in Sczuczin, Poland. In 1929 he left Poland and came to Detroit, Michigan Panush graduated from Wayne State University with a degree in chemical engineering in 1946. He was an international expert in automotive color and held over 345 patents worldwide. He was also the inventor of MICA and Micro Ti02 in the automotive industry. Panush was a “Flying Tiger” in WWII, a Hebrew scholar and author of The Theology of Color, Israel-David King/Berenice Last...
Abstract The Zionist Organization of America was established in 1897 and is the oldest pro-Israel organization in the United States. With offices around the country and in Israel, the ZOA is committed to educating government officials, the media and students about the Arab-Israel conflict. It also works to promote strong U.S.-Israel relations and to fight anti-Semitism. This two-box collection includes the records of the Detroit office and proceedings from the National ZOA. Included in the collection...
Abstract The Jewish Community Council (JCC) was established in 1937 as an umbrella organization to serve as a unifying force for Jewish organizations of metropolitan Detroit.The papers of the JCC document the organization's operational activities, programming, and publications, and the interests of the organization as related to issues such as discrimination and the civil rights movement, it's member organizations, Israeli and Middle Eastern affairs, Zionism, and the affairs of organizations...
Abstract Manuscripts (articles and stories), clippings, correspondence, personal papers, and photographs collected by Mrs. Robbins, who was a labor organizer and writer for the IWW from 1912 until her death in 1963. Subjects include the Paterson N.J. Silk Strike.
Abstract Attorney Maurice Kelman taught at Wayne State University Law School and served as Special Counsel to Mayor Jerome Cavanagh. Part 1 of Mr. Kelman’s papers, which reflect his career as an attorney and arbitrator, primarily relate his work as Special Counsel to Mayor Cavanagh.Part 2 of the Collection spans the years of 1943 to 2012, including materials from Kelman's early life attending Durfee Intermediate and Cass Technical High Schools, further education at the University of Michigan,...
- Subject: Jews. American X
- Leonard N. Simons Jewish Community Archives 10
- Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit 5
- Sinai Hospital of Detroit 2
- Wayne State University. Folklore Archives 2
- Adat Shalom 1
- Aronson, Robert 1
- Benyas, Bob 1
- Birmingham Temple (Birmingham, Mich.) 1
- Cavanagh, Jerome P. 1
- Cavanagh, Mark 1
- Democratic Party (Mich.) 1
- Girardin, Ray 1
- Greater Detroit Chapter of Hadassah 1
- Greene, Robert J. 1
- Hadassah, the Women’s Zionist Organization of America 1
- Hillel of Metropolitan Detroit 1
- Industrial Workers of the World 1
- JARC 1
- Janice Charach-Epstein Museum/Gallery 1
- Jewish Community Council (Detroit, Mich.) 1
- Kelman, Maurice 1
- Legere, Ben 1
- National Council of Jewish Women. Greater Detroit Section 1
- Panush, Sol 1
- Pioneer Women (Organization: U.S.) 1
- Robbins, Matilda 1
- Sheyṿer, Ema 1
- Slomovitz, Philip 1
- Wayne State University 1
- Young, Coleman A. 1
- Zionist Organization of America 1 ∧ view less
∨ view more