Skip to main content Skip to search results

Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 20

AFT Local 1295: Wayne State University Federation of Teachers Records

 Collection
Identifier: LR000688
Abstract Serving employees of Wayne State University, this local was originally established as a branch of the Detroit Federation of Teachers. The collection contains minutes, reports, and some correspondence. The subjects deal with internal union organization and activities.

Detroit Teachers Association: Wayne State University Chapter Records

 Collection
Identifier: LR000281
Abstract Financial papers and membership lists (1933-63), constitution and by-laws (1938), minutes (1941-42), and correspondence (1947-48, l963), collected by the Wayne State University Chapter of the Detroit Teachers Association (later the Detroit Education Association).

Elise Hatt Campbell Papers

 Collection
Identifier: UP001410
Abstract Elise Hatt Campbell was a staff member of the Merrill-Palmer Institute. During her tenure she conducted studies and wrote articles concerning childhood development and education, as well as taught courses at Wayne University. Campbell was also a consultant in the Detroit Council for Youth Service and Chairman of the Committee of the Detroit Council of Social Agencies. The papers of Elise Hatt Campbell reflect her work within the Merrill-Palmer Institute and as an instructor at Wayne University....

Graduate Employees Union at Michigan State University

 Collection
Identifier: LR001775
Abstract The Graduate Employees Union at Michigan State University filed for union recognition on February 2, 2001 with the Michigan Employment Relations Committee. On March 22, 2001 the GEU-MSU held its first general membership meeting and by the following month on April 20th the union had won the collective bargaining election 662 to 192. In September 2001 the union and administration began contract talks. By the beginning of winter semester information pickets were a daily occurrence on campus. In...

Merrill-Palmer Institute: Dr. Francis H. Palmer Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR002123
Abstract Dr. Francis H. Palmer was president of Merrill-Palmer from 1978-1981, prior to which he worked at the State University of New York at Stony Brook. He received his education at the University of Pittsburg, published widely, mainly on preschool and early educational child development and was very active in the Headstart program. Palmer's records reflect his emphasis on the psychology of preschool and elementary age children and his direction of institutional focus to research.

Merrill-Palmer Institute: Dr. J. William Rioux Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR002119
Abstract J. William Rioux was the president of the Merrill-Palmer Institute from 1967-1973, prior to which he worked for the U.S. Department of Education. He was a native of Detroit and received his Ed. D. at Wayne State University. During his time at Merrill-Palmer he worked to diversify the student body, establish a graduate degree program, work with urban youth, and bring more students into the program. He also emphasized dissemination and publication of research by Merrill-Palmer faculty and...

Merrill-Palmer Institute: Dr. Michael D. Usdan Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR002122
Abstract Dr. Michael D. Usdan was president of the Merrill-Palmer Institute from 1974-1977. Educated at Brown University and Teachers College at Columbia University, Usdan worked as a professor at City University of New York before joining Merrill-Palmer. He published widely, writing mainly on educational politics. His records document his work on urban and lower income youth in the Detroit area, as well as research and conferences focusing on urban poor, parent-child relationships and the impact of...

Merrill-Palmer Institute: Dr. Pauline Park Wilson Knapp Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR002120
Abstract Dr. Pauline Park Wilson Knapp was the president and director of the Merrill-Palmer Institute from 1952-1967. Knapp received her B.S. in Home Economics from the University of Kentucky and M.A. and Ph. D in Psychology from Columbia University. She established the first Child Development Center in Georgia in 1928, was head of the Department of Family and Life at the University of Alabama from 1941-45 and the Dean of the School of Home Economics at the University of Georgia from 1946-52. In...

Merrill-Palmer Institute: Dr.William McKee Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR002121
Abstract Dr. William Wakefield McKee was with the Merrill-Palmer Institute for 30 years in a variety of roles. He began as a faculty member in 1953, became Vice-President in 1957 and served as Acting-President during the 1973-73 school year, eventually retiring in 1983. McKee received his B. A. from the University of North Carolina, his B. D. from Yale Divinity School, a S. T. M. from Union Theological Seminary, NY, and his Ph. D. from Yale. Prior to coming to Merrill-Palmer he worked for the YMCA, the...

Merrill-Palmer Institute Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR002127
Abstract The Merrill-Palmer Institute was founded in 1920 by an endowment from Lizzie Merrill Palmer. Throughout its 61years of independent operation, the Institute was greatly respected and internationally known as one of the top institutions for education, training and research in Child Development. Merrill-Palmer staff conducted and published studies on families and children, operated a nursery school, children’s camps and clubs, offered marriage and family counseling, and performed community service...

Robert Nielsen Papers

 Collection
Identifier: LP001828
Abstract Dr. Robert M. Nielsen was born in Nebraska in 1933. Dr. Nielsen became a professor of mathematics at the University of Delaware. In the late 1960s he was the co-founder of the AFT local for faculty at the university and was president from 1969-1973. In 1973 Nielsen became director of the AFT’s colleges and universities department in which he took both aspects of academic professionalism and union professionalism into creating a strong and viable department within the AFT. Dr. Nielsen was...

Wade H. McCree, Jr. Papers

 Collection
Identifier: UP000822
Abstract Wade Hampton McCree, Jr. began his career as a lawyer in the Detroit law firm of Harold E. Bledsoe and Hobart Taylor. He later served on the state’s Workmen’s Compensation Commission and as a judge in the county and U.S. court system. During his tenure on the bench, McCree took part in a number of school desegregation cases iand as the government’s lawyer, he argued a number of significant cases before the Supreme Court. He resigned in 1977 to accept appointment as U.S. Solicitor General in the...

Wayne State University Association of Faculty Women Records

 Collection
Identifier: WSR000559
Abstract The Association of Faculty Women was composed of female employees of Wayne State University in instructional or administrative positions. Its stated purpose was "to encourage membership of qualified faculty women to appointive and elective positions and responsibilities in the University and in the community; to promote the educational and professional welfare of all women, both staff and students, on the University Campus; and to enrich the educational and professional interests of faculty...

Wayne State University Commencement Programs

 Collection
Identifier: WSR002148
Abstract This collection contains programs of the commencement ceremonies of Wayne State University and its predecessor institutions. Included are programs for the commencements of the Detroit College of Medicine (1892, 1895, 1902, 1905), the Detroit Teachers College (1921-1928), the College of the City of Detroit (1925-1933), the Municipal Colleges of Detroit (1929), the Detroit City Law School (1934-1936), Wayne University (1934-1956), the Wayne University College of Medicine (1943-1946), the Wayne...

Wayne State University Monteith College Records

 Collection
Identifier: WSR000453
Abstract Monteith College was endowed by a Ford Foundation Grant. Its purpose was to provide general education in an innovative way. Monteith was an experimental college developed by the College of Liberal Arts to study whether a small college on a large university for commuters could provide a first-rate education for average undergraduates. The Monteith College Archives was created by Professor Paul Bluemle in c. 1967 to record the College's history and activities. The material was gathered from a...

Wayne State University Office of Graduate Studies Records

 Collection
Identifier: WSR000203
Abstract These records of the Office of Graduate Studies include the minutes of Administrative Conferences and Advisory Committee meetings, correspondence, publications, faculty records, and documents relating to World War II and graduate studies, curriculum, and personnel.

Wayne State University Office of the President Clarence B. Hilberry Records

 Collection
Identifier: WSR000001
Abstract Files for Hilberry’s tenure as Wayne President as well as some files from his position as Dean of Administration. Served as President from July 1, 1953 until retirement on July 1, 1965.

Hilberry began in 1930 at Wayne as an instructor in the English Department. In 1939, he became head of the English Department. In 1945, he was appointed Dean of Administration of the University, serving in that position until he was appointed to university president.

Wayne State University Photograph Collection

 Collection
Identifier: WSAV002643
Abstract The University Relations Division dates back to the early days of the university and reflects the activities of WSU's public relations offices. Undergoing several name changes (Community Relations), reporting structures, and unit services, it maintained a focus on communication and interpretation of the university's work both internal and external to the university. By 1961, photography had become a major facet of public awareness programs. Sixteen years later as part of the Media Services and...

Wayne State University: The South End Newspapers Photographs

 Collection
Identifier: WSAV002779
Abstract "The Collegian," the student-run newspaper of Detroit Junior College at Central High, published its first edition on March 6, 1918. At first a semi-monthly paper that printed mostly literary works, by 1922 the paper had become a weekly publication and its focus shifted to news. The paper changed its name in 1924 to "The Detroit Collegian," which reflected the school’s name change to the College of the City of Detroit. The paper underwent three further name changes: in 1953, the name changed to...

Workers' Education Local 189 Records

 Collection
Identifier: LR000954
Abstract Workers Education Local 189, American Federation of Teachers, was founded in November 1922 as the bargaining agent for the faculty members of Brookwood Labor College. After Brookwood closed its doors in 1937, Local 189 opened its membership to all persons, regardless of geographic location, who were engaged in workers' education. Throughout its existence Local 189 had been active in distributing workers' education materials to other members of the AFT, and to public schools, colleges and to the...