Skip to main content Skip to search results

Showing Collections: 1 - 25 of 28

ARISE Detroit! Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR002494
Abstract ARISE Detroit! is a non-profit coalition of twenty-two community groups with the mission of encouraging volunteerism in order to tackle major issues troubling the Detroit community. This collection includes administrative materials, news clippings, and advertising materials for the organizations’ special events.
Dates: 2005 - 2015

Detroit Industrial Mission Records

 Collection
Identifier: LR000131
Abstract The Detroit Industrial Mission (DIM) was an ecumenical organization that was founded on the premise of a need for a better understanding between the worker, management and religion. It aimed to serve all churches and types of industry. The industrial mission, organized by the Rev. Hugh C. White in October 1956, sought to organize independently of the formal structures of any denomination. The mission engaged directly with varying types of industry to explore with managers and their workers the...
Dates: 1954 - 1978; Majority of material found within 1962 - 1973

Don Stevens Papers

 Collection
Identifier: LP001234
Abstract Don Stevens was an honorary alumnus of both Michigan State University (MSU) and Wayne State University, serving on the Board of Trustees and the Board of Governors respectively. A prominent labor educator, he was the AFL-CIO Education Director for Michigan, a trustee of the Michigan Council on Economic Education, and was involved in labor education at MSU and Oakland University. He was also involved in labor circles more broadly, serving as the president of the Kent County CIO Council and the...
Dates: 1969 - 1980; Majority of material found within 1971 - 1979

JCA: Auxiliary for Jewish Home and Aging Services Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR002521
Abstract The Auxiliary for the Jewish Home and Aging Services (formerly the Jewish Home for the Aged) was established along with the incorporation of the first Jewish Old Folks Home in Detroit in 1907. This organization has also been know as the Jewish Home for the Aged Auxiliary and is most recently known as Jewish Senior Life Auxiliary. It was primarily a women’s service organization until the mid-1930s, when it formally became the Auxiliary. Its mission is to render services to and enhance the lives...
Dates: 1933 - 2007

JCA: Glenwood ORT Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR002620
Abstract Women's American ORT (WAO) was founded October 12, 1927, to assist ORT in providing financial support to the ORT program serving Eastern European Jews. ORT’s mission is to strengthen communities throughout the world through education. Glennwood, a chapter of Women’s American ORT Michigan Region, formed on April 3, 1962, in the Detroit area. It received its charter from New York and formed under the auspices of Town and Country ORT. Glennwood was named in honor of astronaut John Glenn, and at...
Dates: 1962 - 2011

JCA: JARC Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR001521
Abstract JARC, formerly the Jewish Association for Retarded Citizens, was incorporated in 1969 as the Parents Association for Jewish Residential Care. The papers reflect the activities of JARC, a non-sectarian, non-profit agency, which provides residential, vocational and recreational services for developmentally disabled children and adults in Oakland County, Michigan. Advocacy and family assistance programs are also part of JARC's mission.
Dates: 1969 - 1994

JCA: Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit Microfilms

 Collection
Identifier: UR001847
Abstract The Jewish Welfare Federation, later known as the Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit (JFMD), and its various divisions and agencies maintained files of minutes of their leadership meetings and collected material pertaining to their organization in scrapbooks. This collection includes the microfilmed minute books of the Jewish Welfare Federation, United Jewish Charities and the Detroit Service Group, as well as scrapbooks of the Jewish Federation and its Women’s Division, and the Hebrew...
Dates: 1899 - 1995; Majority of material found within 1930 - 1989

JCA: Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR001491
Abstract The Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit (Federation or JFMD) is an umbrella organization for many Jewish social service agencies in the Detroit metropolitan area that promotes philanthropy and volunteerism in the Detroit Jewish community. The papers of the Federation document the activities of the organization, its history, and the activities of its member organizations and of organizations with which it has affiliated, including the Council of Jewish Welfare Federations,...
Dates: 1899 - 2005; Majority of material found within 1950 - 2000

JCA: Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit Video Collection

 Collection
Identifier: UR002520
Abstract This collection of videos includes many JFMD activities and special events from the 1980s through 2013 including annual meetings, board of governors meetings, promotional pieces and interviews. It also includes videos from JFMD’s agency, the Agency for Jewish Education (AJE), including events and teacher conferences from the 1990s through 2006. All contents are videotapes unless otherwise noted (zip disk, DVDs).
Dates: 1977 - 2013; Majority of material found within 1980 - 2005

JCA: National Council of Jewish Women, Greater Detroit Section Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR001647
Abstract In 1925, the Jewish Woman's Club of Detroit affiliated with the National Council of Jewish Women (NCJW, established in 1893) and became the National Council of Jewish Women, Detroit Section (now Greater Detroit Section). The group’s philanthropic mission remained to “promote kindness and helpfulness in general and to elevate the mental, moral and social status of young Jewish women in particular.” Over many decades NCJW-GDS has implemented many programs for child and family welfare. The...
Dates: 1891 - 2004

Kings-Tulare Counties Migrant Ministry Records

 Collection
Identifier: LR002469
Abstract The Kings-Tulare Counties (California) Migrant Ministry was formed by the Christian Migrant Ministry in 1959. Its purpose was to administer the Christian gospel to seasonal farm workers with a direct focus upon religious education, child-care, teenage and adult vocational and literacy training. Religious and community organizers who worked with the K-TCMM hoped that organized farm workers could exert influence, challenge established injustices and improve conditions on and off the job.
Dates: 1959 - 1968; Majority of material found within 1962 - 1966

MATRIX Walter and May Reuther Senior Services Center Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR001999
Abstract Now known as MATRIX Senior Wellness Services, the Walter and May Reuther Senior Services Center began as a UAW-affiliated organization, creating post-retirement services for the area's elderly. Founded by the UAW in 1953, the Reuther Senior Services Center formally merged with MATRIX on July 1, 1994. Today it continues operations with a number of human service efforts, including maintaining its initial operations in senior service care.
Dates: 1953 - 2008

United Community Services Budget Department Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR002482
Abstract The United Community Services of Metropolitan Detroit has its origins in the establishment of the Detroit Community Union in 1917. The Union was reorganized into the Council of Social Agencies of Metropolitan Detroit in 1932, and merged with the Detroit Community Chest in 1951 to become the United Community Services (UCS). UCS operated alongside the United Way for Southeastern Michigan (United Foundation until 1989), which was primarily a fundraising organization. They merged to form the United...
Dates: 1918 - 1981; Majority of material found within 1963 - 1981

United Community Services Communications Department Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR002493
Abstract The United Community Services of Metropolitan Detroit has its origins in the establishment of the Detroit Community Union in 1917. The Union was reorganized into the Council of Social Agencies of Metropolitan Detroit in 1932, and merged with the Detroit Community Chest in 1951 to become the United Community Services (UCS). UCS operated alongside the United Way for Southeastern Michigan (United Foundation until 1989), which was primarily a fundraising organization. They merged to form the United...
Dates: 1928 - 1992; Majority of material found within 1947 - 1984

United Community Services Community Information Service Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR002488
Abstract The United Community Services of Metropolitan Detroit has its origins in the establishment of the Detroit Community Union in 1917. The Union was reorganized into the Council of Social Agencies of Metropolitan Detroit in 1932, and merged with the Detroit Community Chest in 1951 to become the United Community Services (UCS). UCS operated alongside the United Way for Southeastern Michigan (United Foundation until 1989), which was primarily a fundraising organization. They merged to form the United...
Dates: 1928 - 1986; Majority of material found within 1950 - 1985

United Community Services Executive Office Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR002463
Abstract The United Community Services of Metropolitan Detroit has its origins in the establishment of the Detroit Community Union in 1917. The Union was reorganized into the Council of Social Agencies of Metropolitan Detroit in 1932, and merged with the Detroit Community Chest in 1951 to become the United Community Services (UCS). UCS operated alongside the United Way for Southeastern Michigan (United Foundation until 1989), which was primarily a fundraising organization. They merged to form the United...
Dates: 1917 - 1995; Majority of material found within 1945 - 1995

United Community Services Research Department Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR002465
Abstract The United Community Services of Metropolitan Detroit has its origins in the establishment of the Detroit Community Union in 1917. The Union was reorganized into the Council of Social Agencies of Metropolitan Detroit in 1932, and merged with the Detroit Community Chest in 1951 to become the United Community Services (UCS). UCS operated alongside the United Way for Southeastern Michigan (United Foundation until 1989), which was primarily a fundraising organization. They merged to form the United...
Dates: 1917 - 1985; Majority of material found within 1947 - 1979

United Community Services Special Programs Department Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR002483
Abstract The United Community Services of Metropolitan Detroit has its origins in the establishment of the Detroit Community Union in 1917. The Union was reorganized into the Council of Social Agencies of Metropolitan Detroit in 1932, and merged with the Detroit Community Chest in 1951 to become the United Community Services (UCS). UCS operated alongside the United Way for Southeastern Michigan (United Foundation until 1989), which was primarily a fundraising organization. They merged to form the United...
Dates: 1958 - 1983; Majority of material found within 1973 - 1981

United Foundation Agency Relations Department Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR002532
Abstract Walter Laidlaw established the United Foundation in 1948 through the merger of the Detroit Community Chest and other Detroit charitable organizations. The goal of the United Foundation was to centralize fund raising efforts and generate mass fund raising campaigns, such as the Torch Drive, which was first held in 1949. The United Foundation was closely affiliated with the United Community Services of Metropolitan Detroit, and became affiliated with the national United Way organization beginning...
Dates: 1948 - 1993; Majority of material found within 1970 - 1988

United Foundation Campaign Department Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR002533
Abstract Walter C. Laidlaw established the United Foundation in 1948 through the merger of the Detroit Community Chest and other Detroit charitable organizations. The goal of the United Foundation was to centralize fund-raising efforts and to generate mass fund-raising campaigns, such as the Torch Drive, which was first held in 1949. The United Foundation was closely affiliated with the United Community Services of Metropolitan Detroit, and became affiliated with the national United Way organization...
Dates: 1950 - 1995; Majority of material found within 1965 - 1989

United Foundation Communications Department Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR002534
Abstract The United Foundation (UF) has its origins in the establishment of the Detroit Community Union in 1917. The UF, called the United Way for Southeastern Michigan after it’s official name change in 1989, was formed in 1948 through the merger of the Detroit Community Chest and other Detroit charities, and came to be affiliated with the national United Way organization in 1970. UF was an umbrella organization providing funding for a wide range of social welfare agencies in the Metropolitan Detroit...
Dates: 1941 - 1998; Majority of material found within 1960 - 1991

United Foundation Office of the President Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR002536
Abstract Walter C. Laidlaw established the United Foundation in 1948 through the merger of the Detroit Community Chest and other Detroit charitable organizations. The goal of the United Foundation was to centralize fund raising efforts and generate mass fund raising campaigns, such as the Torch Drive, which was first held in 1949. The United Foundation was closely affiliated with the United Community Services of Metropolitan Detroit, and became affiliated with the national United Way organization...
Dates: 1953 - 1989; Majority of material found within 1960 - 1980

United Foundation Office of Vice President for Administration Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR002531
Abstract Walter Laidlaw established the United Foundation in 1948 through the merger of the Detroit Community Chest and other Detroit charitable organizations. The goal of the United Foundation was to centralize fund raising efforts and generate mass fund raising campaigns, such as the Torch Drive, which was first held in 1949. The United Foundation was closely affiliated with the United Community Services of Metropolitan Detroit, and became affiliated with the national United Way organization beginning...
Dates: 1972 - 1999; Majority of material found within 1982 - 1988

United Foundation Operations Department Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR002535
Abstract Walter Laidlaw established the United Foundation in 1948 through the merger of the Detroit Community Chest and other Detroit charitable organizations. The goal of the United Foundation was to centralize fund raising efforts and generate mass fund raising campaigns, such as the Torch Drive, which was first held in 1949. The United Foundation was closely affiliated with the United Community Services of Metropolitan Detroit, and became affiliated with the national United Way organization beginning...
Dates: 1962 - 1993; Majority of material found within 1979 - 1992

United Way Community Services Executive Office Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR002537
Abstract The United Way Community Services of Metropolitan Detroit (UWCS) has its origins in the establishment of the Detroit Community Union in 1917. The Union was reorganized into the Council of Social Agencies of Metropolitan Detroit in 1932, and merged with the Detroit Community Chest in 1951 to become the United Community Services (UCS). UCS operated alongside the United Way for Southeastern Michigan (UWSM, United Foundation until 1989), which was primarily a fundraising organization. The two...
Dates: 1979 - 1998; Majority of material found within 1991 - 1998

Filtered By

  • Subject: Community-based social services X

Filter Results

Additional filters:

Subject
Community organization 9
Detroit (Mich.) 7
Jews. American 6
Public welfare 6
Social service 6
∨ view more  
Names
United Foundation (Detroit, Mich.) 15
United Community Services of Metropolitan Detroit 8
Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit 5
United Way for Southeastern Michigan 3
Leonard N. Simons Jewish Community Archives 2