Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 10
Abstract The Jewish Apartments and Services Records spans the years 1966 through 1999. It reflects the growth and development of the agency that provides residential services for senior adults in seven facilities in the Detroit area. The Prentis and Teitel Apartments are located in Oak Park and the Hechtman and Meer Apartments in West Bloomfield, adjacent to the facilities of the then-extant Jewish Community Centers.The Apartments serve the Jewish community, primarily. However, they are...
Abstract Jewish Family Service of Metropolitan Detroit (JFS) is a social service organization for the Detroit area Jewish community. Founded in 1928, the organization was created from the joining of the Hebrew Ladies Sewing Circle and the Self Help Circle. JFS mostly aided Jewish families new to America until the aftermath of the WWII. After the war, JFS worked towards the resettlement of Holocaust survivors and Jewish refugees displaced by the Soviet Union. Today, JFS performs a variety of social...
Abstract The Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit (Federation or JFMD) is an umbrella organization for many Jewish social service agencies in the Detroit metropolitan area that promotes philanthropy and volunteerism in the Detroit Jewish community. The papers of the Federation document the activities of the organization, its history, and the activities of its member organizations and of organizations with which it has affiliated, including the Council of Jewish Welfare Federations,...
Abstract The Kings-Tulare Counties (California) Migrant Ministry was formed by the Christian Migrant Ministry in 1959. Its purpose was to administer the Christian gospel to seasonal farm workers with a direct focus upon religious education, child-care, teenage and adult vocational and literacy training. Religious and community organizers who worked with the K-TCMM hoped that organized farm workers could exert influence, challenge established injustices and improve conditions on and off the job.
Abstract J. William Rioux was the president of the Merrill-Palmer Institute from 1967-1973, prior to which he worked for the U.S. Department of Education. He was a native of Detroit and received his Ed. D. at Wayne State University. During his time at Merrill-Palmer he worked to diversify the student body, establish a graduate degree program, work with urban youth, and bring more students into the program. He also emphasized dissemination and publication of research by Merrill-Palmer faculty and...
Abstract Dr. Michael D. Usdan was president of the Merrill-Palmer Institute from 1974-1977. Educated at Brown University and Teachers College at Columbia University, Usdan worked as a professor at City University of New York before joining Merrill-Palmer. He published widely, writing mainly on educational politics. His records document his work on urban and lower income youth in the Detroit area, as well as research and conferences focusing on urban poor, parent-child relationships and the impact of...
Abstract Dr. Pauline Park Wilson Knapp was the president and director of the Merrill-Palmer Institute from 1952-1967. Knapp received her B.S. in Home Economics from the University of Kentucky and M.A. and Ph. D in Psychology from Columbia University. She established the first Child Development Center in Georgia in 1928, was head of the Department of Family and Life at the University of Alabama from 1941-45 and the Dean of the School of Home Economics at the University of Georgia from 1946-52. In...
Abstract Dr. William Wakefield McKee was with the Merrill-Palmer Institute for 30 years in a variety of roles. He began as a faculty member in 1953, became Vice-President in 1957 and served as Acting-President during the 1973-73 school year, eventually retiring in 1983. McKee received his B. A. from the University of North Carolina, his B. D. from Yale Divinity School, a S. T. M. from Union Theological Seminary, NY, and his Ph. D. from Yale. Prior to coming to Merrill-Palmer he worked for the YMCA, the...
Abstract The Merrill-Palmer Institute was founded in 1920 by an endowment from Lizzie Merrill Palmer. Throughout its 61years of independent operation, the Institute was greatly respected and internationally known as one of the top institutions for education, training and research in Child Development. Merrill-Palmer staff conducted and published studies on families and children, operated a nursery school, children’s camps and clubs, offered marriage and family counseling, and performed community service...
Abstract In 1949, 17,000 women volunteers helped the United Foundation achieve success with its Torch Drive campaign. In 1954, it was decided that an auxiliary women’s group would be formed to work year-round in support of United Foundation projects. It was called the United Foundation Women’s Organization (UFWO). By 1964, the name was changed to Women for the United Foundation (WUF). The organization works under a set of by-laws and consists of an Executive Board, Board of Directors, Advisory Board,...
- Subject: Community service X
- Merrill-Palmer Institute 5
- Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit 3
- Wayne State University 3
- Skillman Center for Children 2
- Drake, James 1
- Jewish Family Service 1
- Knapp, Pauline Park Wilson 1
- Leonard N. Simons Jewish Community Archives 1
- McKee, William Wakefield, Dr. 1
- National Farm Worker Ministry (U.S.) 1
- National Farm Workers Association 1
- Padilla, Gilbert 1
- Rioux, J. William 1
- United Foundation (Detroit, Mich.) 1
- United Foundation Women’s Organization 1
- Women for the United Foundation 1 ∧ view less
∨ view more