Showing Collections: 1 - 9 of 9
Abstract The AFSCME Office of the Secretary-Treasurer oversees the general financial health of the international union, keeping records for its locals, councils, and the headquarters staff. The Office keeps files on council and local trusteeships, maintains per capita dues payments by locals and councils, issues charters to new locals, and suspends and disbands locals or councils when problems arise. William Lucy held this position for 38 years, 1972-2010. Lucy joined AFSCME as a civil...
Abstract Between 1975 and 1985, the Archives of Labor and Urban Affairs at Wayne State University and AFSCME undertook a cooperative oral history project to gather and preserve the memories of key persons who witnessed or played a major role in the development of AFSCME. Professor of History Philip Mason headed the project and interviewed several leading AFSCME members. Collection consists of audio recordings and transcripts of interviews with seven of AFSCME's important early figures: Gordon Chapman,...
Abstract AFSCME Publications is a collection comprised of serials created and collected by AFSCME International, District Councils, and Locals. The collection also contains material produced as part of AFSCME’s biannual international conventions and articles published about AFSCME from an academic standpoint. The publications in this collection arrived at the Reuther Library over time and came from multiple sources. The collection features AFSCME’s official publication, which was first known...
Abstract Minutes, correspondence, reports, publications covering the president's office of Carl Megel and predominantly Charlie Cogen and David Selden. Important subjects are teacher strikes, contract negotiations, school desegregation, Oceanhill-Brownsville, education legislation, job stress, teacher centers.
The records are divided into two parts.
The records are divided into two parts.
Item — Box: Individual Oral Histories Box 2: G-M, Folder: 2
Abstract San Jose librarian Joan Goddard served as president of AFSCME Local 101 following the union’s 1981 contract fight centered on narrowing the gap between male and female municipal workers’ pay in San Jose, California. AFSCME Archivist Johanna Russ interviewed her in 2009. Collection consists of an audio recording and transcript of the interview. Goddard discusses her role in the negotiations and eventual strike during the AFSCME Local 101 (California) 1981 contract struggle.
Abstract For many, John Sweeney is known as the now former head of the AFL-CIO, a position from which he retired in 2009 after 14 years of service. For most of the previous 35 years, though, he was a member turned officer of the Service Employees International Union, having served 15 of those years as its President. The SEIU Executive Office: John Sweeney Records document his tenure during these 15 years, although portions of these records predate his tenure in that office. The records...
Abstract Local 31-M’s earliest manifestation, Local 191, began in 1938 with the organization of the Michigan Unemployment Compensation Commission (MUCC), the precursor to Michigan Employment Security Commission (MESC). MUCC was the first civil service agency within Michigan to become unionized. Initially an independent local, Local 191 eventually affiliated with the State, County and Municipal Workers of America. After facing several years of difficulty, Local 191 disbanded. Despite the...
Abstract The SEIU Research Department was established in 1942 as the Research and Education Department. It was created mainly to help prepare negotiators at the bargaining table during World War II. Its main purpose was to gather data and information from the locals. The department would analyze the data, synthesize it and distribute reports throughout the organization. The department was expanded in 1945. Additional responsibilities grew to include analyzing new labor trends and organizational methods,...
Abstract William "Bill" Lucy was a long-serving leader in AFSCME. A civil engineer in Contra Costa, California, he joined AFSCME in 1956 and was involved in the Memphis sanitation workers strike of 1968. He served as Secretary-Treasurer of AFSCME from 1972 to 2010. He co-founded the Coalition of Black Trade Unionists (CBTU) in 1972 and was involved in the civil rights and anti-Apartheid movements. Philip Mason conducted an audio interview with William Lucy in 2001 and a video interview with him in 2002....
- Subject: Collective bargaining -- Government employees X
- AFSCME 5
- Lucy, William, 1933- 4
- Service Employees International Union 3
- Sweeney, John J. 3
- AFL-CIO 2
- Ciampa, P.J. 2
- Coalition of Black Trade Unionists (U.S.) 2
- Mason, Philip P. (Philip Parker Mason) 2
- Wurf, Jerry, 1919- 2
- AFSCME. Council 36 (Calif.) 1
- AFSCME. District Council 25 (Detroit, Mich.) 1
- AFSCME. District Council 37 (New York, N.Y.) 1
- AFSCME. District Council 77 (Detroit, Mich.) 1
- AFSCME. International Convention 1
- AFSCME. Judicial Panel 1
- AFSCME. Local 101 (Santa Clara County, Calif.) 1
- AFSCME. Local 1640 (Detroit, Mich.) 1
- American Federation of Teachers 1
- Ames, Joseph Lynn, 1925- 1
- Barry, Marion, 1936-2014 1
- Chapman, Gordon Warner, 1907- 1
- Church, Al 1
- Clinton, Bill, 1946- 1
- Collins, Joe 1
- Cook, Victoria 1
- Dailey, Ed 1
- Fauntroy, Walter E. 1
- Goddard, Joan 1
- Gotbaum, Victor 1
- Harrington, Michael, 1928-1989 1
- Hooks, Benjamin L. (Benjamin Lawson), 1925-2010 1
- Jackson, Jesse, 1941- 1
- Jordan, Vernon E. (Vernon Eulion), 1935- 1
- Kennedy, Edward M. (Edward Moore), 1932-2009 1
- King, Coretta Scott, 1927-2006 1
- Kubista, Roy 1
- Mandela, Nelson, 1918-2013 1
- McEntee, Gerald W. 1
- McEntee, William J. (William Joseph), 1903- 1
- Mire, Joseph 1
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People 1
- National Education Association of the United States 1
- Newman, Winn, 1924-1994 1
- Public Services International 1
- Roberts, Lillian 1
- Robinson, Randall, 1941- 1
- Russ, Johanna 1
- Service Employees International Union. Local 31-M 1
- Shanker, Albert 1
- Sheffield, Horace 1
- Transafrica Forum (Organization) 1
- Trask, David 1
- United States. National Labor Relations Board 1
- Zander, Arnold S. (Arnold Scheuer), 1901-1975 1 ∧ view less
∨ view more