Showing Collections: 1 - 9 of 9
Abstract Cordelia Brown is an active member in the Lafayette Park high-rise residential neighborhood, which is part of the Mies van der Rohe Residential District in Detroit. She moved to Lafayette Park in 1961, and has since collected materials related to the neighborhood, some of which were included in an exhibit, Inside Lafayette Park, at Lafayette Park Retail in 2012. The Cordelia Brown Papers contains material related to Lafayette Park from 1961 to 2012. The materials, including newspaper clippings,...
Dates: 1961 - 2012; Majority of material found within 2006 - 2012
Abstract Fred Hansen (1914-1964) was a construction superintendent for Darin & Armstrong, Inc., a construction firm that worked with famed architect Minoru Yamasaki. Hansen served as the superintendent on three of Yamasaki’s Detroit projects: the Reynolds Metals Regional Sales Headquarters for Southeastern Michigan, Benjamin Franklin Junior High School, and the Helen DeRoy Auditorium at Wayne State University. This collection consists of photographs, press releases and news clippings on...
Dates: 1959 - 1963
Abstract Glen Calvin Moon is a nationally recognized architectural and environmental photographer whose images have been published in a variety of American architectural and design magazines and journals. As a Detroit-based photographer, Mr. Moon is particularly known for his documentation of the Detroit metropolitan area - its buildings, landscape, and urban design.The Glen Moon Photographs primarily document the architecture of many public and private structures and spaces in and around SE...
Dates: 1979 - 2013; Majority of material found within 1979 - 1999
Abstract Minoru Yamasaki, (1912-1986), best known as the architect of the World Trade Center, New York City, was born into poverty as a second generation Japanese-American in Seattle, Washington. He put himself through the University of Washington and New York University to study architecture, worked in New York for several years, and eventually made his way to Detroit in 1945 where he established his home and his business. He eventually distinguished himself as one of the premier architects of the 20th...
Dates: 1915 - 2001; Majority of material found within 1955 - 1980
Overview Preservation Wayne (PW), originally known as the Wayne State University Historical Preservation Association, emerged in 1975 as a student movement to protest the destruction of historic structures on the Wayne State University (WSU) campus and in the Cultural Center district. They were successful in saving a number of structures from demolition and securing historical designations for buildings and areas around campus. In 1988, with its membership diversifying outside the university community,...
Dates: 1975 - 2010; Majority of material found within 1977 - 2008
Abstract Built in 1919, Orchestra Hall was the home for the Detroit Symphony Orchestra (DSO) until the financial pressures of the Depression forced the DSO to move to the Masonic Temple Theater. Renamed the Paradise Theater, the Hall remained a performance venue in Detroit until 1951 when the building was virtually abandoned. In 1970, Orchestra Hall was scheduled to be demolished when a group of local citizens, led by DSO bassoonist Paul Ganson, intervened. These concerned citizens formed Save Orchestra...
Dates: 1919 - 2003; Majority of material found within 1970 - 1998
Abstract The University Relations Division dates back to the early days of the university and reflects the activities of WSU's public relations offices. Undergoing several name changes (Community Relations), reporting structures, and unit services, it maintained a focus on communication and interpretation of the university's work both internal and external to the university. By 1961, photography had become a major facet of public awareness programs. Sixteen years later as part of the Media Services and...
Dates: circa 1945-2003
Abstract "The Collegian," the student-run newspaper of Detroit Junior College at Central High, published its first edition on March 6, 1918. At first a semi-monthly paper that printed mostly literary works, by 1922 the paper had become a weekly publication and its focus shifted to news. The paper changed its name in 1924 to "The Detroit Collegian," which reflected the school’s name change to the College of the City of Detroit. The paper underwent three further name changes: in 1953, the name changed to...
Dates: 1950 - 1990
Overview William Hanna worked for the city of Detroit. During the course of the work day and on his free time, Hanna would capture events in the city that he personally found interesting or of importance. The photographs in his collection consist of black and white snapshots of the building of the Fort St. County Building and the changing river front, and color snapshots of buildings, streets, and people during the civil unrest in Detroit in 1967.
Dates: 1953 - 1967
- Subject: Buildings--Detroit (Mich.) X
- Detroit (Mich.) 6
- Architecture 4
- Architecture--Michigan--Detroit. 2
- Buildings 2
- College sports United States 2
- College students 2
- Education, Higher 2
- Photographs 2
- Universities and colleges --Faculty 2
- African Americans 1
- Art--History 1
- Cooperative societies 1
- Detroit (Mich.) Fire Department 1
- Detroit (Mich.)--Race relations 1
- Detroit (Mich.)--Riot, 1967 1
- Helen DeRoy Auditorium 1
- Historic preservation 1
- Lafayette Park (Detroit, Mich.) -- Buildings, Structures, etc. 1
- Neighborhoods 1
- Newspapers 1
- Photographic prints 1
- Snapshots 1
- Special events 1
- Student movements 1
- Symphony orchestras 1
- Universities and colleges --Administration 1 ∧ view less
- Wayne State University 4
- Brown, Cordelia 1
- Detroit Symphony Orchestra 1
- Ganson, Paul Adelmer 1
- Hanna, William 1
∨ view more