Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 20
Abstract This series consists of bound volumes of the proceedings of the Detroit Board of Education.
Abstract Gerald Boicourt began his career working with students as the Assistant Superintendent at the Salt Lake City Boys’ Detention home from 1940 to 1941. He then served in the U.S. Navy during World War II, from 1941 to 1946. Upon his return home, he taught English in New Hampshire and Massachusetts, from 1946 to 1949. From there, he began as a research specialist for the State University of Iowa, and transitioned to the Supervisor of School Buildings for the Iowa Department of Public Institutions...
Abstract Hazel Graham taught Clinical Psychology in the College of Education at Wayne, and was instrumental in the design and implementation of the Master’s Program in Clinical Psychology. Ms. Graham attended the Detroit Teachers’ College, and received her baccalaureate in 1931. She began teaching in Detroit Public Schools from 1931-34. After earning her MA degree at Wayne in 1934, Ms. Graham joined the College of Education as a substitute instructor in two departments, Psychology and English...
Abstract The papers of Paul Lutzeier reflect his work with the Otherlanders Program, the College of Education, and his work with James M. Hare and the Michigan Constitutional Convention. Lutzeier originated the idea for the International Freedom Festival in 1958. Other subjects found in the collection include the Detroit Teachers College and the Michigan Constitutional Convention.
Abstract The records of the College of Education’s Audio-Visual Consultation Bureau, directed by Arthur Stenius. The collection documents the Bureau’s production of educational movies and slide strips and accompanying printed material on a variety of subjects. It also reflects the use of visual material in classrooms as well as developments in teaching methodology in the 1950’s.
Abstract The College of Education Building Committee Records detail the planning and events involved in the construction of the College of Education Building at Wayne State University. The four-story building, designed by architect Minoru Yamasaki, was completed in 1961 and provided 96,000 square feet of space, which allowed the college to centralize its offices and classrooms.
Wayne State University College of Education, Dean’s Office: Detroit Public Schools Monitoring Commission on Desegregation Records
Abstract The Detroit Public Schools Monitoring Commission on Desegregation was created by the City of Detroit to comply with the ruling of Milliken v. Bradley, which dealt with desegregation busing. This United States Supreme Court ruling settled the issue of de jure vs. de facto segregation and effectively confirmed that segregation was allowed if it was not an explicit policy of the school district. As a result, the commission's charge was to oversee the busing plan across multiple school districts in...
Abstract G. Harold Silvius joined the faculty of the Wayne University College of Education in 1936, and was a professor of industrial education by 1941. From 1946 to 1971, Silvius served as chairman of the Industrial Education program, creating a nationally recognized program of industrial teacher education. Silvius was a member of Mu Sigma Pi, a graduate professional industrial education fraternity. He retired in 1975. Materials in this collection consist of reports, yearbooks, programs,...
Abstract This collection consists of records generated by the Office of Admissions between 1958-1964, largely under the supervision of the College of Education’s Assistant Dean, Joseph E. Hill (1962-1964). During this period Hill served as chairman or member of numerous admissions committees, including the admissions advisory committee and various ad hoc committees on curriculum, instruction, admissions, student teaching, and college administrative problems.
Abstract This organization’s goal is to facilitate communication between the students and the faculty-administration within the College of Education. The Council coordinates activities and budgets for the multiple education clubs, and sends representatives to the Student-Faculty Council. Collection includes one account book.
Abstract The Teachers’ Corps was a national organization created in the 1960’s. Its goal was to remedy the teacher shortage in poorer school districts. The program was funded by the National Defense Education Act Institute.The Wayne State University program, sponsored by the College of Education, attempted to generate interest in the Detroit area inner city schools with the hope of recruitment. The interns selected for the WSU Teachers Corps were not required to have four-year degrees in education, only...
Abstract William Reitz was a professor in the College of Education from 1937 until his retirement in 1973. He specialized in evaluation and statistics and was an active advisor in the College. Reitz was involved in the creation of a doctoral program and was known for having the most successful Ph.D. candidates in the College of Education; he also served as an examiner for the National Teacher Examination implemented by the College of Education in 1946. Materials in the this collection consist of meeting...
Abstract The Detroit Teachers College was an outgrowth of the Detroit Normal Training School which had its beginning in 1881. By 1920, due to increased enrollment and demand for more course offerings, Superintendent of Schools, Frank Cody, recommended that the Normal School become the Detroit Teachers College. Stuart Courtis was appointed dean.
Collection — Box: WSU Small Processed Collections: Box 1, Folder: 4
Abstract NCATE Committee records document the accreditation of the college by the NCATE, including correspondence of John C. Sullivan, Professor of Education.
Abstract This project was organized in May 1970 at the annual College Conference. The project had three goals: 1) to explore and develop alternative and innovative models for more relevant teacher education, 2) more directly involve students in this process, and 3) Recognize the direct relationship of teacher education to the problems and issues of public education in a changing society.
Abstract This collection consists of issues of the Wayne State University Library Science Alumni Association Newsletter.
Abstract This collection consists of newsletters and other publications produced by the Wayne State University Library Science Student Association.
Collection — Container: WSU Small Processed Collections: Box 2, Folder: 3
Abstract This collection consists of the records of Hazel E. Graham, a member of the Quarter System Ad Hoc Committee from the College of Education. The goal of the committee was to gather and present data to the Faculty Council, regarding the possibility of shifting from the traditional semester to the quarter system.
Abstract This collection consists of newsletters, reports, and brochures produced by the predecessor units of the Wayne State University School of Library and Information Science. The predecessor units are the College of Education Division of Library Science; the College of Education Department of Library Science; the Library Science Program; and the Library and Information Science Program.
Abstract The Detroit Normal Training School was founded in 1881 by the Detroit Board of Education in order to train teachers for Detroit's public schools. The Normal School was renamed the Detroit Teachers College in 1920; in 1933, the Detroit Teachers College became the College of Education of the newly formed Wayne University.