Showing Collections: 1 - 6 of 6
Abstract Between 1976 and 1990, Fran Leeper Buss conducted a series of interviews with low-income and minority women across the Southern, Western, Midwestern, and Appalachian regions of the United States. As part of a collaborative project of the Southwest Institute for Research on Women at the University of Arizona and the Schlesinger Library on the History of American Women at Radcliffe, these interviews were then transcribed, indexed, and processed, with funding from the Ford Foundation. The...
Abstract Between 2004 and 2006, the Walter P. Reuther Library, along with several Michigan labor organizations and trade unions conducted an oral history project to document the lives and working experiences of 19 skilled tradeswomen in the Metro Detroit area. Collection consists of transcripts and video recordings for 19 interviews with women in a variety of construction and maintenance trades. Interviewees discuss their backgrounds, reasons for entering the trades, apprenticeship and work experiences,...
Abstract The SEIU District 925 Legacy Project, conducted 2005-2007, aimed through a series of oral history interviews to chronicle the organization’s 20-year history (1981-2001) and provide insight into the relationship between the women’s movement and organized labor, during a time of great social and technological change. The project gathered interviews from women, and some men, involved in the founding and growth of District 925 and its efforts, with the association 9to5, National Association of...
Abstract The SEIU conducted an oral history program with officers and members, primarily between 1973 and 1988, with additions in 2002-2005. The collections consists of 31 interviews. Transcripts exist for all but the Andy Stern interview. Audio recordings exist for all but the following interviews: Cooper, Eliaser, Glenn (UCLA), Hannon, Levey (individual), Liebes, Neal, and Smiley. The Pat Ford interview conducted on Hi8 videotape. Interviewees discuss their entry into the labor movement and SEIU,...
Abstract In the 1970s, the Program on Women and Work, a unit of the Institute of Labor and Industrial Relations (ILIR), a jointly administered body of the University of Michigan and Wayne State University, coordinated an oral history project to document the lives and work of women active in the labor movement from 1900 through 1970. Joyce L. Kornbluh of ILIR served as project director. Many interviewers conducted interviews with participants across the United State. This project, "The Twentieth...
Abstract The Detroit Newspaper Strike started July 13, 1995 by the Metropolitan Council of Newspaper Unions and roughly 2,500 workers against the Detroit News and the Detroit Free Press. The Strike ended in February of 1997 with the legal resolution of the Strike occurring in 2000. This collection consists of interview transcripts for nine interviews and audio recordings for four interviews. Each interviewee is asked to speak on their experiences in and around the time of the Detroit Newspaper Strikes....
- Subject: Women labor union members -- United States X
- Service Employees International Union 3
- 9 to 5, National Association of Working Women (U.S.) 1
- Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America 1
- American Federation of Labor 1
- American Federation of Teachers 1
- Buss, Fran Leeper, 1942- 1
- Communication Workers of America 1
- Congress of Industrial Organizations (U.S.) 1
- Crawford, Elaine 1
- Francis, Ann 1
- Frank E. Gannett Newspaper Foundation 1
- Froines, Ann 1
- Heath, Stacey 1
- Hotel & Restaurant Employees and Bartenders International Union 1
- Industrial Workers of the World 1
- International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers 1
- International Brotherhood of Teamsters 1
- International Ladies' Garment Workers' Union 1
- International Union of Electrical, Radio and Machine Workers 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. Local 163 (Detroit, Mich.) 1
- Knight-Ridder Newspapers, Inc. 1
- Kornbluh, Joyce L. 1
- Mahaffey, Maryann 1
- Mleczko, Lou 1
- Monk, Janice J. 1
- Program on Women and Work 1
- Progressive Party (U.S. : 1948) 1
- Raucher, Margaret 1
- Service Employees International Union. District 925 1
- Service Employees International Union. Office Worker Division 1
- Textile Workers Union of America 1
- United Farm Workers 1
- United Steelworkers of America 1
- Wayne State University 1
- Young, Coleman A. 1 ∧ view less
∨ view more