Showing Collections: 1 - 5 of 5
Abstract Women's American ORT (WAO) was founded October 12, 1927, to assist ORT in providing financial support to the ORT program serving Eastern European Jews. ORT’s mission is to strengthen communities throughout the world through education. Glennwood, a chapter of Women’s American ORT Michigan Region, formed on April 3, 1962, in the Detroit area. It received its charter from New York and formed under the auspices of Town and Country ORT. Glennwood was named in honor of astronaut John Glenn, and at...
Dates: 1962 - 2011
Abstract Hadassah, the Women's Zionist Organization of America, was founded in 1912 by Henrietta Szold in New York City with a mission to provide health care to the people living in Palestine. In 1916, Szold visited Detroit and helped start a local Hadassah chapter. Through its fundraising efforts Hadassah supports local, charitable projects as well as healthcare, research, education and social services programs in Israel.
Dates: 1916 - 2018; Majority of material found within 1950 - 1990
Abstract Jewish Community Archives: Small Collections is comprised of records, papers, photos, scrapbooks and artifacts, ranging in size from one item to a couple of boxes, of various individuals, families and organizations within the Jewish community of the Detroit area from the 19th century to the 1990. Individuals include Sarah Friedman, Meyer Prentis, Emma Lazaroff Schaver and Judge Charles C. Simons. Families include the Butzels and the Flayers. Organizations include the Alpha Omega dental...
Dates: 1867 - 2003
Abstract The Sigma Gamma Association started with a handful of Detroit-area young women meeting together for social activities in 1904. They soon formalized their club with a constitution and started performing charitable activities for local children. After years spent steadily increasing their numbers and philanthropy, the polio outbreak of 1916 precipitated the Sigma Gammas to focus their mission on pediatric orthopedics. This led to the establishment of the Sigma Gamma Clinic for Crippled Children...
Dates: 1907 - 2001
Abstract Walter Laidlaw established the United Foundation in 1948 through the merger of the Detroit Community Chest and other Detroit charitable organizations that had traditionally combined fund raising efforts. The goal of the United Foundation was to further centralize those efforts, and to generate mass fund raising campaigns such as the Torch Drive, which was first held in 1949. The United Foundation was closely affiliated with the United Community Services of Metropolitan Detroit, and became...
Dates: 1929 - 1950; Majority of material found within 1935 - 1949
- Subject: Women in charitable work X
- Charity organization 2
- Jewish culture: arts, media and heritage 2
- Jews. American 2
- Advertising 1
- Advertising --Fashion 1
- Campaign paraphernalia 1
- Children--Hospitals 1
- Community-based social services 1
- Detroit (Mich.) 1
- Hospitals-Michigan-Detroit-History 1
- Jewish religious schools 1
- Jewish women 1
- Pediatrics 1
- Poliomyelitis 1
- Social history 1
- Social service 1
- Songs, Yiddish 1
- War posters 1
- Women --Societies and clubs 1
- World War, 1939-1945 1 ∧ view less
- Leonard N. Simons Jewish Community Archives 2
- Community Chest of Metropolitan Detroit 1
- Detroit Institute for Children 1
- Glennwood ORT 1
- Greater Detroit Chapter of Hadassah 1
∨ view more