Showing Collections: 1 - 8 of 8
Abstract Association of Municipal Professional Women (AMPW), organized in 1975, was an organization open to women who were employed in the city of Detroit and held professional titles. The organization’s primary purpose was to provide professional women in all departments to meet and network on a citywide basis, as well as to create a forum for common interests and discuss common problems. The organization disbanded in the late 1980s, early 1990s. Records of the AMPW reflect the organization’s...
Abstract The Brotherhood of Maintenance of Way Employees (BMWE) was founded at Demopolis, Alabama, in July, 1887 under the name of the Order of Railroad Trackmen, and eventually came to include all workers who build and maintain the tracks, bridges, buildings and other structures of the railroads. Its Grand Lodge headquarters was permanently established in Detroit, Michigan in 1913, and is comprised of System Divisions or Federations, each of which has under its jurisdiction one or more railroad systems...
Abstract Jewish Community Archives: Small Collections is comprised of records, papers, photos, scrapbooks and artifacts, ranging in size from one item to a couple of boxes, of various individuals, families and organizations within the Jewish community of the Detroit area from the 19th century to the 1990. Individuals include Sarah Friedman, Meyer Prentis, Emma Lazaroff Schaver and Judge Charles C. Simons. Families include the Butzels and the Flayers. Organizations include the Alpha Omega dental...
Abstract The Society of Women Engineers was founded in 1950 to encourage young women to pursue engineering and to support women engineers throughout their careers. The Detroit Section of the Society of Women Engineers was chartered June 30, 1952. SWE Detroit is one of the Society's oldest sections and is also among its largest, largely due to the prominence of the automotive and manufacturing industries in southeastern Michigan.The Society of Women Engineers Detroit Section Collection...
Abstract The Society of Women Engineers Publications includes inactive serials published by the Society of Women Engineers (SWE). The society's national publication was published under three different titles between 1951 and 1993: Journal of the Society of Women Engineers, SWE Newsletter, and U.S. Woman Engineer. The publication was renamed SWE in 1993. SWE is not included in this collection because it remains active, but is otherwise available for research at the Reuther Library. The Society of Women...
Abstract The Society of Women Engineers is a non-profit educational service organization, founded in 1950 as the first organization dedicated to the career guidance, advancement, and recognition of women engineers. The organization's national records exemplify the struggle women have faced over time, gaining entrance into a male dominated discipline and bear witness to the triumphs and honors women have enjoyed as engineering students and practicing professionals. While documenting the Society itself,...
Abstract The Faculty Wives' Club of the College of the City of Detroit was founded in 1925, preceding Wayne University by ten years. This group's mission, as stated in its 1953 constitution, was "to promote friendship among the faculty wives of Wayne University, to further the interests of the women of Wayne University, and to engage in such civic activities as are appropriate to the nature of the organization." In addition to its frequent meetings, receptions, and tours, the Faculty Wives' Club...
Abstract In 1949, 17,000 women volunteers helped the United Foundation achieve success with its Torch Drive campaign. In 1954, it was decided that an auxiliary women’s group would be formed to work year-round in support of United Foundation projects. It was called the United Foundation Women’s Organization (UFWO). By 1964, the name was changed to Women for the United Foundation (WUF). The organization works under a set of by-laws and consists of an Executive Board, Board of Directors, Advisory Board,...
- Subject: Women --Societies and clubs X