Skip to main content Skip to search results

Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4

Hutzel Hospital Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR001572
Abstract In November, 1868, seven members of the Ladies’ Christian Union opened the Woman’s Hospital and Foundlings’ Home in a tenement at Cass Avenue and Montcalm Street, a private, non-profit institution and the first facility in Detroit dedicated to providing care and shelter for abandoned, widowed and unwed mothers and their babies. In 1965, Woman’s Hospital changed its name to Hutzel Hospital and continued its devotion to research into the diseases of women. It is now part of the Detroit Medical...
Dates: 1868 - 1994

Mildred Jeffrey Papers

 Collection
Identifier: LP000300
Abstract Mildred Jeffrey worked as an organizer for the Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America, as Educational Director of the Pennsylvania Joint Board of Shirt Workers, as a consultant to the War Labor Board, as Director of the United Auto Workers (UAW) Women’s Bureau, and as Director for UAW Community Relations and Consumer Affairs Departments. Ms. Jeffrey was also active in the Democratic Party and was a founding member and chair of the National Organization of Women’s (NOW) political arm, the...
Dates: 1920 - 2004; Majority of material found within 1950 - 1979

National Organization for Women (NOW): Downriver Chapter Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR001227
Abstract The Downriver chapter of NOW was formed in 1974 by Loretta Moore, a Wayne State University professor, who was elected the chapter’s first president. The chapter was active in supporting local, state and national policy concerning women’s rights, participated in marches, rallies and walkathons and also endorsed pro-women’s rights candidates. They hosted and participated in numerous programs for local women, set up networks and resources for the community, established a library for members...
Dates: 1971 - 1994

SEIU Communications Department Records

 Collection
Identifier: LR001885
Abstract The Service Employees International Union (SEIU) was founded in 1921 as a union of flat janitors. Over the years it has grown in size and scope, and now comprises three divisions: healthcare, property services, and public services. The records of SEIU’s Communications Department document the International’s mass mailings from 1974 through 1987. Included in the collection are (predominately) monthly summaries listing all the mass mailings sent by the International (with the exceptions of June...
Dates: 1976 - 1987; Majority of material found within 1978 - 1987