Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Abstract The Administration Office existed for a number of years in the 1960s and 1970s. When it dissolved, its duties were transferred to other departments. Its convention planning duties were handled by the Office of the President for a time and are currently enacted by the Conference and Travel Services Department. Its other duties were assumed by the AFSCME Business Office. Records in this collection include subject files on areas of interest to AFSCME; correspondence from councils and locals; and...
Abstract David Elsila is an activist, educator, writer, editor, and historian best known for his work involving the labor movement. He notably served as the longtime editor for the UAW's magazine Solidarity, managing the publication from 1977 to 1998. Before then, he was editor for the American Federation of Teacher's publications American Teacher and Changing Education. Elsila's work with the AFT is the subject of the...
Abstract The Industrial Workers of the World was founded in 1905 and is a member-run union for all workers. The IWW organizes all workers producing the same goods or services into one union instead of pooling them by skill or trade. Numbered among its members (known popularly as Wobblies) are lumberjacks, miners, farmhands (especially migrant workers), sailors, and workers in textile mills. Since their founding, the IWW has made significant contributions to labor struggles around the world. The union is...
Abstract Ruthven (Rudy) Simons is an activist for human rights. He was a vice president of the Cranbrook Peace Foundation, a board member of the Michigan Coalition for Human Rights, a founder of the Center for Peace and Conflict Studies at Wayne State University, and a member of delegations to Iraq, Iran, Haiti, China, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Israel, and Palestine. As a result of his passion for human rights, he was a recipient of the Center Peacemaker Award from the Center for Peace and Conflict...
- Subject: Vietnam War, 1961-1975--Protest movements--United States X
- AFSCME. International Convention 1
- AFSCME. Local 1640 (Detroit, Mich.) 1
- American Federation of Teachers. Convention 1
- American Federation of Teachers. Executive Council. Meeting 1
- American Federation of Teachers. Workers Education Local 189 1
- Beffel, John Nicholas 1
- Industrial Workers of the World 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America 1
- Michigan Interfaith Committee on Central American Human Rights 1
- Michigan Organization for Human Rights 1
- Shanker, Albert 1
- Simons, Rudy (Ruthven) 1
- Tussey, Richard B. 1
- Washington Labor for Peace 1
- Wayne State University. Labor Studies Center 1
- Wurf, Jerry, 1919- 1 ∧ view less
∨ view more