Showing Collections: 1 - 6 of 6
Item — Box: Individual Oral Histories Box 1: A-E, Folder: 8
Abstract In 1974, Harris Howell, along with Dennis East, interviewed Carl Brown, a foreman at Ford Motor Company and a president of the the foremen's union, Foreman's Association of America (FAA), organized in 1941 at Ford. Collection consists of the interview recording and transcript about founding and development of the Foreman’s Association of America.
Item — Box: Individual Oral Histories Box 2: G-M, Folder: 11
Abstract In or before 1972, Daniel Brooks interviewed labor leader Dave Miller, first president of United Auto Workers Local 22 and a founding member of the National Council of Senior Citizens. Collection consists of an interview transcript. Miller talks about his childhood in Dundee, Scotland; his early working life, beginning as a child laborer in a textile mill, and entry into labor activism in Scotland and England; observations on social class and activism in the UK, including the temperance...
Abstract William "Bill" Bryce and Elaine Crawford interviewed labor activist Irene Young Marinovich for Bryce's documentary on Marinovich's life and work in the UAW,
Item — Box: Individual Oral Histories Box 3: O-Si, Folder: 5
Abstract In 1977, labor organizer and civil rights activist Shelton Tappes interviewed radical labor leader Philip "Phil" Raymond. Collection consists of the interview transcript on his work organizing for the United Automobile, Aircraft and Vehicle Workers of America (later renamed the Auto Workers Union or AWU) and the UAW.
Item — Box: Individual Oral Histories Box 3: O-Si, Item: 7
Abstract In 1966, University of Michigan professor of history Sidney Fine interviewed union leader and political activist Roy Reuther. Collection consists of the interview transcript about the 1936-1937 Flint Sit-down Strike.
Abstract Douglas A. Fraser was elected UAW President in 1977 following the retirement of Leonard Woodcock. As UAW President Fraser presided over the emergence of Japanese auto imports into the previously US dominated auto industry, growing concerns over air quality, worker safety issues, and job re-training. In 1981 Fraser successfully reunited the UAW with the AFL-CIO after a 13 year absence. Fraser was also instrumental in assisting Chrysler Motor Company’s federal bailout loan to avoid the company’s...
- Subject: Strikes and lockouts -- Automobile industry X
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America 4
- Brooks, Dan 1
- Brown, Carl 1
- Bryce, William 1
- Crawford, Elaine 1
- Democratic Party (Mich.) 1
- East, Dennis 1
- Fine, Sidney 1
- Ford Motor Company 1
- Foreman’s Association of America 1
- General Motors Corporation 1
- Harris, Howell John 1
- International Union, United Automobile Workers of America (CIO). Local 174 (Detroit, Mich.) 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. Ford Department 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. Local 22 (Detroit, Mich.) 1
- Marinovich, Irene Young 1
- Miller, Dave 1
- Raymond, Philip 1
- Reuther, Walter, 1907-1970 1
- Tappes, Shelton 1 ∧ view less
∨ view more