Showing Collections: 1 - 7 of 7
Abstract Labor Notes (officially titled the Labor Education and Research Project) is a media and organizing project for union rank and file activists based out of Detroit, Michigan. Best known for their self-titled monthly magazine, Labor Notes also publishes books, hosts a bi-annual conference, and runs organizing workshops and seminars for Union locals throughout North America. Since 1979 they have served an important networking and organizing role in the labor community, working to strengthen the...
Dates: 1965 - 2007; Majority of material found within 1985 - 1999
Abstract The Service Employees International Union (SEIU) was founded in 1921 as a union of flat janitors. Over the years it has grown in size and scope, now comprising three divisions: healthcare, property services, and public services. SEIU’s Department of Education generates training materials for its members on topics including workplace training (for all three divisions), internal staff professional development, collective bargaining, organizing, and political campaigns. Document formats found...
Dates: 1980 - 2004; Majority of material found within 1992 - 2002
Abstract United Auto Workers Local 57 began as an American Federation of Labor local and servicing the Fort Wayne Works of International Harvester Company in Fort Wayne, IN. The local received recognition as sole bargaining agent for employees in 1940 after a long struggle with management, the company union, and an independent union. Their records reflect these activities as well as the general operations of the local.
Dates: 1933 - 1969; Majority of material found within 1978 - 1982
Abstract United Auto Workers Local 200 was formed to service employees at the Ford Motor Co. Windsor, Ontario. The records of the local document a 1951 strike, U.S. immigration problems, and UE relations with the Canadian Congress of Labour in 1950, among routine records of operations and activities.
Dates: 1962 - 1964
Abstract Established in 1939 when the International Executive Board revoked the charter of pro-Martin Local 118, United Auto Workers Local 664 serviced members at Fisher Body, Chevrolet, and Prophet Company in North Tarrytown, NY. The records reflect the Martin controversy, strikes, conferences, and other activities of the local.
Dates: 1939 - 1961
Abstract United Auto Workers Local 833 has had divisive history between workers at the Kohler Co. in Kohler, WI and their employers. First organized in 1933 by the American Federation of Labor, workers were soon embroiled in a jurisdictional dispute with a company-formed union, the Kohler Workers' Association (KWA). Following a strike, the KWA won the bid from the NLRB to represent workers, but leadership soon became dissatisfied and voted in 1952 to join the UAW.
Dates: 1897 - 1965; Majority of material found within 1933 - 1960
Abstract Local 887 of the United Auto Workers was borne out of labor struggles between its predecessor union, UAW-CIO Local 683, and North American Aviation in Los Angeles, CA shortly before American involvement in WWII. Because of the company's production of military aircraft, the federal government has historically been closely involved with labor disputes affecting Local 887's members. The records of UAW Local 887 reflect the union's long struggle with management over such issues as wages and union...
Dates: 1938 - 1986; Majority of material found within 1950 - 1977
- Labor unions 5
- Labor unions -- Organizing 4
- Grievance procedures 3
- Arbitration, Industrial 2
- Collective bargaining 2
- Contract negotiations 2
- Aerospace industries 1
- Automobile industry and trade 1
- Civil rights 1
- Collective labor agreements 1
- International labor activities 1
- Labor education 1
- Labor literature 1
- Labor unions--Jurisdictional disputes 1
- Political campaigns 1
- Privatization 1
- Service industries 1
- Unfair labor practices 1
- Women in the labor movement 1
- World War, 1939-1945 1 ∧ view less
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America 5
- Reuther, Walter, 1907-1970 3
- General Motors Corporation 1
- Glenn, Elinor 1
- International Union, United Automobile Workers of America (CIO). Local 833 (Sheboygan Falls, Wis.) 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. Local 664 (North Tarrytown, NY) 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Implement Workers of America. Local 57 1
- Labor Education & Research Project (U.S.) 1
- Labor Notes 1
- Moody, Kim 1
- National Labor Relations Bureau (U.S.) 1
- Parker, Mike 1
- Service Employees International Union 1
- Slaughter, Jane, 1949- 1
- Stern, Andy 1
- Sweeney, John J. 1
- United States. National Labor Relations Board 1
- United States.. Senate Select Committee on Improper Activities in Labor and Management 1 ∧ view less
∨ view more
∨ view more