Showing Collections: 1 - 3 of 3
Abstract Charles Beckman served as United Auto Workers Local 45 (Fisher Body Plant, Cleveland) President for eighteen consecutive terms. His tenure included the Cleveland plant sit-down strike which served as a catalyst for the historic Flint sit-down strike of 1936-1937. The papers of Mr. Beckman reflect his work with Local 45 and its affiliated organizations and, to a lesser degree, his involvement in political and social issues, including civil rights, anti-fascism and anti-war efforts.
Dates: 1933 - 1962; Majority of material found within 1936 - 1960
Abstract Literary manuscripts and related papers, correspondence, daily notes and journals, reference and research material, notes, clippings, pamphlets, personal and family papers, and memorabilia, collected by Mrs. Vorse, writer, labor journalist, and social critic of the U.S. She also covered strikes, civil and labor disturbances, wars, revolutions, and political upheavals in other parts of the world. From the textile strike in Lawrence, Massachusetts (1912) to the textile strike in Henderson, North...
Dates: 1841 - 1966
Abstract Subjects include: auto industry and auto workers in New Jersey, eastern Pennsylvania and upstate New York; Martin Gerber; equal employment opportunity; low-cost public housing; Bell Aircraft strike (1949); Kohler strike (1959); Liberal Party (N.Y.); New Jersey politics and government; civil rights movement; labor education; UAW CAP; women auto workers.
Dates: 1941 - 1985
- Politics, Practical 2
- Automobile industry and trade 1
- Child labor 1
- Housing 1
- Labor 1
- Labor movement 1
- Labor unions 1
- Mining engineering 1
- Social history 1
- Textile Workers' Strike, Lawrence, Mass., 1912. 1 ∧ view less
- Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America 1
- Beckman, Charles Keller, 1900- 1
- Industrial Workers of the World 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. Region 9 1
∨ view more