Skip to main content Skip to search results

Showing Collections: 1 - 7 of 7

Bruce L. Harkness Poletown Photographs

 Collection
Identifier: WSAV002727
Abstract Bruce Harkness photographed the area known as “Poletown,” a multi-ethnic, multi-racial urban area on Detroit’s East Side, from February to December 1981. These photographs document the hundreds of buildings and businesses that were demolished to make way for the construction of a General Motors assembly plant. In addition, Harkess captured vibrant urban exteriors and interiors, neighborhood landmarks, residents, and street scenes. The collection is comprised of 200 8’x10’ silver gelatin,...
Dates: 1981-02 - 1981-10

Detroit Commission on Community Relations (DCCR) / Human Rights Department Photographs and Other Material

 Collection
Identifier: UAV000267
Abstract The Commission on Community Relations evolved from the City of Detroit Mayor's Interracial Committee in 1953 and was renamed in 1974 as the Human Rights Department. All three iterations served a common purpose: to make recommendations to improve governmental services affecting racial relations, and to promote understanding between the races. Collection consists of photographs documenting its efforts to overcome racial discrimination and improve race relations in the Detroit metropolitan area...
Dates: 1948 - 1979

Folklore Archive: Student Field Projects Photographs

 Collection
Identifier: WSAV002714
Abstract The Folklore Archive, established in 1939 by WSU English professors Emlyn Gardner and Thelma James, contains the oldest and largest record of urban folk traditions in the United States. To document these traditions, Wayne State University students conducted field research projects, some of which included photographic records. Collection consists of 71 projects (or aggregations of multiple projects on a single topic) conducted by student interviewer-collectors. Student field research projects...
Dates: 1958 - 1982; Majority of material found within 1969 - 1980

Jerome P. Cavanagh Photographs and Other Material

 Collection
Identifier: UAV000379
Abstract The Jerome P. Cavanagh Photographs and Other Material consists of numerous photographs, the majority of which were taken during his time in office. These photographs cover events such as the 1968 Olympic Bid, visits from Lyndon B. Johnson, aftermath of the 1967 unrest, and Mayor Cavanagh with various prominent Detroit business people, union members, and politicians. Also included in the collection is memorabilia from his 1966 Senate campaign, 1968 Olympic information, and other various...
Dates: 1960 - 1979; Majority of material found within 1960 - 1969

Wayne State University Photograph Collection

 Collection
Identifier: WSAV002643
Abstract The University Relations Division dates back to the early days of the university and reflects the activities of WSU's public relations offices. Undergoing several name changes (Community Relations), reporting structures, and unit services, it maintained a focus on communication and interpretation of the university's work both internal and external to the university. By 1961, photography had become a major facet of public awareness programs. Sixteen years later as part of the Media Services and...
Dates: circa 1945-2003

Wayne State University School of Medicine Photographs and Audio-Visual Materials

 Collection
Identifier: WSAV002718
Abstract The Wayne State University School of Medicine had four important forerunners: Detroit MedicalCollege (1868-1885), Michigan College of Medicine (1879-1885), Detroit College of Medicine (1885-1913), and Detroit College of Medicine and Surgery (1913-1933). The collection consists of photograph prints and negatives of Wayne State University School of Medicine staff, students, and buildings. Photographs of staff and students are posed yearbook and identification photographs. Building photographs...
Dates: 1887 - 2003; Majority of material found within 1960 - 2003

Wayne State University: The South End Newspapers Photographs

 Collection
Identifier: WSAV002779
Abstract "The Collegian," the student-run newspaper of Detroit Junior College at Central High, published its first edition on March 6, 1918. At first a semi-monthly paper that printed mostly literary works, by 1922 the paper had become a weekly publication and its focus shifted to news. The paper changed its name in 1924 to "The Detroit Collegian," which reflected the school’s name change to the College of the City of Detroit. The paper underwent three further name changes: in 1953, the name changed to...
Dates: 1950 - 1990

Filtered By

  • Subject: Photographs X
  • Subject: Detroit (Mich.) X

Filter Results

Additional filters:

Subject
Detroit (Mich.) 6
Buildings--Detroit (Mich.) 3
Universities and colleges --Faculty 3
Civil rights 2
College sports United States 2