Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Abstract Marc Grossman became involved with the United Farm Workers in 1969 while an undergraduate student at the University of California, Irvine; where he graduated with a B.A. degree in American History in 1972. During that time he helped organize the Grape Boycott. From there he went on to obtain a Master’s degree in journalism at UCLA in 1973. With his degree in journalism, Mr. Grossman went to work for the UFW and its President, Cesar Chavez. Marc Grossman knew Chavez the last 24...
Dates: 1969 - 1999; Majority of material found within 1980 - 1993
Abstract The primary mission of the UFW California boycott offices was to alert the nation that farm laborers were looking for civil rights, as well as fairer wages. Cesar Chavez, president of the United Farm Workers Union believed that a non-violent boycott of grapes and lettuce would convey the message. The two main city offices were located in Los Angeles and San Francisco. These offices were primarily concerned with organizing letter-writing campaigns to growers, distributors (with special attention...
Dates: 1965 - 1980; Majority of material found in 1976 - 1976
Abstract The Maryland Boycott office was set up in Baltimore by the UFW to handle the organization of boycotted products and establishments in the state of Maryland and its surrounding region. The office, headed by Pete Velasco, dealt mainly with the boycotting of stores, which sold non-union products or were involved in anti-union activities. As well, the office involved itself with other UFW interests including migrant workers, pesticide abuse and the lobbying for or against specific legislation being...
Dates: 1969 - 1976
Abstract UFW Publications is primarily comprised of serials and unique publications created by, or collected by the United Farm Workers of America, the National Farm Worker Ministry and support organizations, which assisted the UFW with its cause. Included in the collection are convention proceedings dating back to the official inception of the UFW, constitutions, bylaws and serials.
Dates: 1937 - 1998; Majority of material found within 1968 - 1996
- Subject: Pesticides--Health aspects--California X
- Strikes and lockouts --Agricultural laborers 3
- Agriculture 1
- California Politics and government 1
- Child labor 1
- Church work with migrant labor 1
- Farm work legislation 1
- Labor 1
- Labor leaders--United States 1
- Labor unions 1
- Mexican American migrant agricultural laborers--Periodicals. 1
- Migrant agricultural laborers 1
- Oral histories 1
- Sound recordings 1
- Strikes and lockouts 1 ∧ view less
- Agricultural Workers Organizing Committee 1
- Community Service Organization 1
- Democratic Party (U.S.) 1
- National Farm Worker Ministry (U.S.) 1
- National Farm Workers Association 1
- United Food and Commercial Workers International Union 1 ∧ view less
∨ view more
∨ view more