Skip to main content Skip to search results

Showing Collections: 1 - 3 of 3

Grace Hospital Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR001352
Abstract Grace Hospital opened for patients in December, 1888 with seventy-five beds. It expanded rapidly over the next several decades, serving over 15,000 inpatients and 90,000 outpatients by its fiftieth year, 1938, and opening the Northwest Branch in 1942. Building additions in 1953 and 1964 made Grace the second largest voluntary non-profit hospital in Michigan. Grace and Harper Hospitals merged in 1973 and consolidated with other hospitals in the newly-created Detroit Medical Center in 1985. The...
Dates: 1880 - 1993

Harper Hospital Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR001446
Abstract Harper Hospital was founded in May 1863 on land donated by Walter Harper. The hospitals first patients were Civil War soldiers, and it continued its designation as a military hospital during both World Wars. In 1866 Harper Hospital opened as a general hospital and would add a nursing school in 1883. The hospital's records relate to the history of both the hospital and its School of Nursing.
Dates: 1857 - 1989

Hutzel Hospital Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR001572
Abstract In November, 1868, seven members of the Ladies’ Christian Union opened the Woman’s Hospital and Foundlings’ Home in a tenement at Cass Avenue and Montcalm Street, a private, non-profit institution and the first facility in Detroit dedicated to providing care and shelter for abandoned, widowed and unwed mothers and their babies. In 1965, Woman’s Hospital changed its name to Hutzel Hospital and continued its devotion to research into the diseases of women. It is now part of the Detroit Medical...
Dates: 1868 - 1994