Skip to main content Skip to search results

Showing Collections: 1 - 5 of 5

Hutzel Hospital Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR001572
Abstract In November, 1868, seven members of the Ladies’ Christian Union opened the Woman’s Hospital and Foundlings’ Home in a tenement at Cass Avenue and Montcalm Street, a private, non-profit institution and the first facility in Detroit dedicated to providing care and shelter for abandoned, widowed and unwed mothers and their babies. In 1965, Woman’s Hospital changed its name to Hutzel Hospital and continued its devotion to research into the diseases of women. It is now part of the Detroit Medical...
Dates: 1868 - 1994

JCA: Sinai Hospital Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR001813
Abstract Sinai Hospital was created out of a demand for a hospital that would provide staff affiliations for Jewish doctors and care for patients in Detroit, free of the discrimination found in hospitals in the early 1900s. Through considerable fund raising over many decades, the hospital broke ground in 1951, opened in 1953 and underwent tremendous growth and development over the years. Sinai Hospital was sold to the Detroit Medical Center in 1997. It was closed in 1999 and merged with Grace Hospital...
Dates: 1900 - 1999; Majority of material found within 1950 - 1999

Kellogg African American Health Care Project Oral Histories

 Collection
Identifier: UOH001710
Abstract The Kellogg African American Health Care Project Oral Histories are the result of a project carried out by the University of Michigan's Historical Center for the Health Sciences, 1997-2000 (interviews conducted 1997-1998), and sponsored by the W.K. Kellogg Foundation, to create and bring together resources relating to the African American health care experience in southeast Michigan from the 1940s through the 1960s. To this end, principal reseachers George Myers III and Ronald Amos and other...
Dates: 1997 - 1998

Metropolitan Coalition of Women Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR000816
Overview Mrs. Jeannette Cleary, Vice-President of the Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom, organized the Metropolitan Coalition of Women in early 1968. Over forty women's organizations from metropolitan Detroit responded to a call from Mrs. Cleary in the aftermath of the 1967 riot and voted in February to organize a coalition, which would meet monthly to "establish better communications in the community among all peoples in order to reduce tension and create greater understanding towards...
Dates: 1968 - 1973

Raymond Hood Papers

 Collection
Identifier: UP000581
Abstract Raymond Hood served Detroit’s 7th District in the Michigan House of Representatives. Mr. Hood’s papers document his work in the Michigan state legislature, particularly his service in the Labor, Mental Health, Public Health, and Environment committees.
Dates: 1961 - 1982