Skip to main content Skip to search results

Showing Collections: 1 - 2 of 2

Hutzel Hospital Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR001572
Abstract In November, 1868, seven members of the Ladies’ Christian Union opened the Woman’s Hospital and Foundlings’ Home in a tenement at Cass Avenue and Montcalm Street, a private, non-profit institution and the first facility in Detroit dedicated to providing care and shelter for abandoned, widowed and unwed mothers and their babies. In 1965, Woman’s Hospital changed its name to Hutzel Hospital and continued its devotion to research into the diseases of women. It is now part of the Detroit Medical...
Dates: 1868 - 1994

JCA: Sinai Hospital Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR001813
Abstract Sinai Hospital was created out of a demand for a hospital that would provide staff affiliations for Jewish doctors and care for patients in Detroit, free of the discrimination found in hospitals in the early 1900s. Through considerable fund raising over many decades, the hospital broke ground in 1951, opened in 1953 and underwent tremendous growth and development over the years. Sinai Hospital was sold to the Detroit Medical Center in 1997. It was closed in 1999 and merged with Grace Hospital...
Dates: 1900 - 1999; Majority of material found within 1950 - 1999

Filtered By

  • Subject: Michigan X
  • Subject: Hospitals-Michigan-Detroit-History X
  • Subject: Medical care X
  • Repository: Walter P. Reuther Library X

Filter Results

Additional filters:

Subject
Clinics 1
Detroit (Mich.) 1
Hospitals -- -- Administration 1
Jews. American 1
Medical education 1
∨ view more
Nursing 1
Women 1
∧ view less
 
Names
Hutzel Hospital 1
Sinai Hospital of Detroit 1