Showing Collections: 1 - 7 of 7
Abstract The American Federation of Labor-Congress of Industrial Organizations (AFL-CIO) Metropolitan Detroit is the central organization for all Michigan AFL-CIO unions that have locals in Wayne, Oakland, and Macomb Counties. Their records pertain to activities specifically in Wayne County, prior to the merger of the three county councils in 1986, including those of its former presidents Frank Martel (1948-1956), Al Barbour (1958-1967) and its former vice-president Alex Fuller (1959-1967). The records...
Dates: 1918 - 1967
Abstract Minutes, correspondence, reports, publications covering the president's office of Carl Megel and predominantly Charlie Cogen and David Selden. Important subjects are teacher strikes, contract negotiations, school desegregation, Oceanhill-Brownsville, education legislation, job stress, teacher centers.
The records are divided into two parts.
The records are divided into two parts.
Dates: 1960 - 1974; Majority of material found within 1968 - 1974
Abstract The IJWU was founded in the late 19th century and chartered by the AFL as the International Jewelry Workers' Union of America on September 17, 1900. Its members include those employed in the retail jewelry trade as diamond cutters, watchmakers, crystal and dial repair professionals, optical technicians and dental assistants. In 1980, the IJWU merged with the SEIU. The collection includes materials relating to the IJWU's relationships with employers and locals, financial issues, and the merger...
Dates: 1936 - 1991
Abstract As its name implies, Service Employees International Union (SEIU) Local 1 of Chicago, Illinois is SEIU’s first local. Local 1 signed its initial agreement with the Chicago Real Estate Board in 1916, seven years before William Quesse officially founded SEIU in 1921 as a union of flat janitors. For much of its history, Local 1 focused its efforts on organizing and representing building employees, particularly janitors.The SEIU Local 1 Records document the history of Local 1 as well as...
Dates: 1935 - 2001; Majority of material found within 1950 - 1989
Abstract Local 31-M’s earliest manifestation, Local 191, began in 1938 with the organization of the Michigan Unemployment Compensation Commission (MUCC), the precursor to Michigan Employment Security Commission (MESC). MUCC was the first civil service agency within Michigan to become unionized. Initially an independent local, Local 191 eventually affiliated with the State, County and Municipal Workers of America. After facing several years of difficulty, Local 191 disbanded. Despite the...
Dates: 1960 - 2005; Majority of material found within 1975 - 2002
Abstract Two SEIU Michigan locals, Local 517M and Local 591, created the materials found within this collection. Local 591 represented multiple school districts within the state of Michigan and in January 2005, Local 591 merged into Local 517M. Local 517M primarily represented public employees working for the state of Michigan and previously merged with Local 31M in 2002. Local 517M is still active today, and as such, this collection will likely continue to grow. Materials in this collection...
Dates: 1976 - 2011; Majority of material found within 1980 - 2005
Abstract The State Workers Organizing Committee (SWOC) was a semi-caucus and political movement that worked within several unions, including the Welfare Employees Union (WUE), the American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees (AFSCME), the Michigan State Employees Association (MSEA), and the United Auto Workers (UAW) in the late 1970s and early 1980s. SWOC was born from within the WEU and served as an activist organization that played a key role in establishing local union chapters,...
Dates: 1973 - 1985
- Subject: Labor unions -- Mergers X
- Labor unions 5
- Labor unions -- Organizing 3
- Public employees 3
- Collective bargaining 2
- Collective bargaining -- Government employees 2
- Education 2
- Labor 2
- Busing for School Integration 1
- Civil rights 1
- Collective labor agreements 1
- Collective labor agreements -- Municipal employees 1
- Communism 1
- Detroit (Mich.) -- Politics and government 1
- Detroit -- Economic conditions 1
- Detroit--social conditions 1
- Great Depression 1
- Illinois 1
- Labor movement 1
- Parochial school unions 1
- Political campaigns 1
- Poverty 1
- School integration 1
- Sit-down strikes 1
- Strikes and lockouts 1
- Welfare rights movement 1
- Women in the labor movement 1
- Women's rights 1 ∧ view less
- Service Employees International Union 4
- AFSCME 1
- American Federation of Teachers 1
- Barbour, Alex 1
- Congress of Industrial Organizations (U.S.) 1
- Cook, Victoria 1
- Fuller, Alex 1
- International Jewelry Workers Union 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America 1
- Martel, Frank X. 1
- McFetridge, William 1
- Metropolitan Detroit AFL-CIO 1
- Michigan State Employees Association 1
- Michigan. Department of Social Services 1
- National Education Association of the United States 1
- Service Employees International Union. Local 1 (Chicago, Ill.) 1
- Service Employees International Union. Local 31-M 1
- Service Employees International Union. Local 517M (Detroit, Mich.) 1
- Service Employees International Union. Local 591 1
- Shanker, Albert 1
- State Workers Organizing Committee 1
- Sweeney, John J. 1
- Welfare Employees Union 1 ∧ view less
∨ view more
∨ view more