Showing Collections: 1 - 8 of 8
Abstract As an active member of the labor movement, Gene Saari worked for the Timber and Sawmill Workers Union Local 15, helped to form the International Union of Mine, Mill and Smelter Workers (IUMMSW, or Mine-Mill), and served as secretary-treasurer of United Copper Workers Union Local 494. Mr. Saari also served as a vice-president of the Michigan State Congress of Industrial Organizations (CIO), a Mine-Mill international representative, and as an organizer for the United Steelworkers of America. Mr....
Dates: 1913 - 1979
Abstract Material collected by Mr. DeShetler as secretary-treasurer of the AFL Flat Glass Workers Union (1935-37), president of the CIO Federation of Glass, Ceramic and Sand Workers (1939-42), CIO regional director of southern California (1946-52), CIO assistant regional director of Region 13 (1952-55), AFL-CIO assistant regional director of Region 22 (1955-68) and National AFL-CIO coordinator for Farm Workers (1968-71). Various activities of the Glass Workers Union, such as Executive Board meetings...
Dates: 1928 - 1984
Abstract 'Bill' Williams was a prominent figure in CIO Local 76 (later UAW Local 560), Ford Motor Co. assembly plant in Richmond, CA., helping to organize workers and serve as an officer. His papers reflect events at the plant surrounding the jurisdictional rivalry between the AFL and the CIO and eventual designation as a UAW shop.
Dates: 1936 - 1967; Majority of material found within 1937 - 1958
Abstract A nephew of William F. Quesse, SEIU's founder and first International President, William McFetridge began his career with SEIU in 1923 as a member of Chicago's Flat Janitors Local 1. In 1927 he assumed the position of SEIU Third Vice President and then ascended to the position of SEIU 1st Vice President in 1930, a position he maintained until April of 1940, when he became President of the International. The records comprising this collection chronicle McFetridge's last years as President of...
Dates: 1936 - 1963
Abstract United Auto Workers Local 9 was chartered as an American Federation of Labor local in 1933, servicing workers at the Bendix Products Corporation in South Bend, Indiana. After a disagreement with the AFL, the local joined the UAW in 1935, participating in the auto industry's first sit-down strike the following year.
Dates: 1933 - 1963
Abstract United Auto Workers Local 239 serviced General Motors plant employees in Baltimore, MD. The records of the local reflect its activities as representative of Fisher Body Plant workers, before they merged with Local 678, Chevrolet assembly operations.
Dates: 1948 - 1969
Abstract United Auto Workers Local 833 has had divisive history between workers at the Kohler Co. in Kohler, WI and their employers. First organized in 1933 by the American Federation of Labor, workers were soon embroiled in a jurisdictional dispute with a company-formed union, the Kohler Workers' Association (KWA). Following a strike, the KWA won the bid from the NLRB to represent workers, but leadership soon became dissatisfied and voted in 1952 to join the UAW.
Dates: 1897 - 1965; Majority of material found within 1933 - 1960
Abstract United Auto Workers Local 932 was chartered in 1961, providing service to the Minneapolis-Moline Division of Motec Industries, Inc. in Minneapolis, MN. The local was embroiled in an intense rivalry many years prior to its chartering, between the United Electrical, Radio and Machine Workers of America and the UAW over who had the rights to service the local.
Dates: 1937 - 1964; Majority of material found within 1940 - 1961
- Collective bargaining 3
- Contract negotiations 3
- Labor disputes 3
- Labor unions -- Factionalism 3
- Strikes and lockouts 3
- Automobile industry and trade 2
- Labor unions 2
- Arbitration, Industrial 1
- Automobile industry workers 1
- Communism 1
- Grievance procedures 1
- Michigan -- Politics and government 1
- Mining engineering 1
- Political action committees 1
- Right to work 1 ∧ view less
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America 4
- American Federation of Labor 2
- Meany, George, 1894-1980 2
- Reuther, Walter, 1907-1970 2
- AFL-CIO 1
- AFL. Flat Glass Workers Union 1
- AFL. Windows Glass Cutters League 1
- Agricultural Labor Relations Board 1
- American Arbitration Association 1
- Bluestone, Irving 1
- Congress of Industrial Organizations (U.S.) 1
- DeShetler, Irwin L. 1
- Democratic Party (U.S.) 1
- Ford Motor Company 1
- General Motors Corporation 1
- International Union, United Automobile Workers of America (CIO). Local 833 (Sheboygan Falls, Wis.) 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. Local 239 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. Local 9 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. Local 932 1
- McFetridge, William 1
- National Labor Relations Bureau (U.S.) 1
- Saari, Gene 1
- Service Employees International Union 1
- United Farm Workers 1
- United States. Labor Management Relations Act, 1947 1
- United States. National Labor Relations Board 1
- United States.. Senate Select Committee on Improper Activities in Labor and Management 1
- United Steelworkers 1
- Williams, M. A., labor leader 1
- Woodcock, Leonard 1
- Zander, Arnold S. (Arnold Scheuer), 1901-1975 1 ∧ view less
∨ view more
∨ view more