Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Abstract Fred Pieper was an early leader in the unionization of the auto industry. His papers reflect his work for the United Auto Workers and the Congress of Industrial Organizations in the South.
Dates: 1936 - 1940
Abstract United Auto Workers Local 239 serviced General Motors plant employees in Baltimore, MD. The records of the local reflect its activities as representative of Fisher Body Plant workers, before they merged with Local 678, Chevrolet assembly operations.
Dates: 1948 - 1969
Abstract Established in 1939 when the International Executive Board revoked the charter of pro-Martin Local 118, United Auto Workers Local 664 serviced members at Fisher Body, Chevrolet, and Prophet Company in North Tarrytown, NY. The records reflect the Martin controversy, strikes, conferences, and other activities of the local.
Dates: 1939 - 1961
Abstract As United Auto Workers (UAW) Vice-President, Wyndham Mortimer worked to organize the employees of General Motors Fisher Body Plant, which led to the Flint Sit-Down Strike of 1936-1937, and later participated in the negotiations that achieved the first UAW-GM contract. Mr. Mortimer was active in factional struggles within the UAW as a leader of the Unity Caucus and was ultimately expelled from the UAW with charges of Communist allegiance. Mr. Mortimer’s papers document his work in the UAW,...
Dates: 1943 - 1973; Majority of material found within 1940 - 1962
- Automobile industry and trade 2
- Aerospace industries 1
- Automobile industry workers 1
- Civil rights 1
- Collective bargaining 1
- Flint Sit-Down Strike, 1936-1937 1
- Grievance procedures 1
- Labor disputes 1
- Labor unions 1
- Labor unions -- Jurisdictional disputes 1
- Labor unions and communism 1
- Strikes and lockouts 1 ∧ view less
- Reuther, Walter, 1907-1970 2
- Bluestone, Irving 1
- Congress of Industrial Organizations (U.S.) 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. Local 239 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. Local 664 (North Tarrytown, NY) 1
∨ view more