Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Abstract While a graduate history student at the University of Alabama-Birmingham, Edward Savela conducted oral history interviews with retired Detroit-area auto workers on changes in the automobile industry as part of research for his master’s thesis. Collection consists of five interviews with retired UAW members chronicling their lengthy careers in the automobile industry in the Detroit metropolitan area. Transcripts and audio recordings available for each. Interviewees discuss apprenticeship...
Dates: 2012-05 - 2012-06
Abstract Fred Pieper was an early leader in the unionization of the auto industry. His papers reflect his work for the United Auto Workers and the Congress of Industrial Organizations in the South.
Dates: 1936 - 1940
Abstract This collection consists of the papers of Kenneth Forbes, a UAW leader in the Saginaw area. Forbes held different offices in the union including the President of Local 455 and was also active politically. His collection covers his active years in the union and his retirement and gives a glimpse into the life of the politics and challenges of an elected official in the UAW.
Dates: 1927 - 1973; Majority of material found within 1946 - 1971
Abstract Ruth Milkman (1954-) is a professor of sociology at the CUNY Graduate Center and the academic director at the Joseph F. Murphy Institute for Worker Education and Labor Studies. Her professional focus is labor and labor movements, and she has published on a variety of topics revolving around work and organized labor in the United States. She received her B.A. from Brown University and her M.A. from the University of California, Berkley. Milkman’s early research focused on women workers during...
Dates: 1975 - 1994; Majority of material found within 1978 - 1991
- Automobile industry and trade 3
- Labor unions 3
- Oral histories 2
- Sound recordings 2
- Transcripts 2
- Arbitration, Industrial 1
- Automation 1
- Grievance arbitration 1
- Labor movement 1
- Labor unions -- Organizing 1
- Strikes and lockouts 1 ∧ view less
- Chrysler Corporation 2
- Ford Motor Company 2
- Congress of Industrial Organizations (U.S.) 1
- Forbes, Kenneth 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. Local 900 (Wayne, Mich.) 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. Local 22 (Detroit, Mich.) 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. Local 7 (Detroit, Mich.) 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aircraft, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. Local 595 (Linden, N.J.) 1
- Milkman, Ruth 1
- Pieper, Fred C. 1
- Savela, Edward 1 ∧ view less
∨ view more
∨ view more