Showing Collections: 1 - 9 of 9
Abstract While a graduate history student at the University of Alabama-Birmingham, Edward Savela conducted oral history interviews with retired Detroit-area auto workers on changes in the automobile industry as part of research for his master’s thesis. Collection consists of five interviews with retired UAW members chronicling their lengthy careers in the automobile industry in the Detroit metropolitan area. Transcripts and audio recordings available for each. Interviewees discuss apprenticeship...
Dates: 2012-05 - 2012-06
Abstract Ken Morris served as president of United Auto Workers (UAW) Local 212 and as director of UAW Region 1B. Mr. Morris was active in community affairs and served in various committees such as the Oakland University Board of Trustees, the Oakland County Mental Health Board, and the National Commission on Unemployment and Compensation. Mr. Morris’ papers relate primarily to his activities as Director of UAW Region 1B, and to a lesser degree, his trusteeship at Oakland University, and reflect his...
Dates: 1937 - 1983
Abstract This collection consists of the papers of Kenneth Forbes, a UAW leader in the Saginaw area. Forbes held different offices in the union including the President of Local 455 and was also active politically. His collection covers his active years in the union and his retirement and gives a glimpse into the life of the politics and challenges of an elected official in the UAW.
Dates: 1927 - 1973; Majority of material found within 1946 - 1971
Abstract An activist in the early labor movement, Sam Sweet aided in the organization of the Flint General Motors workers and the Briggs workers in Detroit, and served as Education Director for United Auto Workers (UAW) Locals 155, 51, and 742. Granted citizenship in 1946, Mr. Sweet faced repeated government attempts to revoke his citizenship due to alleged Communist affiliation.Part I of Mr. Sweet’s papers primarily relate to his activities as Education Director of various UAW locals and as...
Dates: 1938 - 1989
Abstract Subjects include: Chrysler Jefferson Avenue assembly plant (Detroit); absenteeism; civil rights; 1950 Chrysler strike; factionalism; fair employment practices; skilled trades; Taft-Hartley Act.
Dates: 1938 - 1975
Abstract United Auto Workers Local 444 services the Windsor, Ontario plant of Chrysler Corporation. Its records reflect routine operations and programs.
Dates: 1956 - 1961
Abstract United Auto Workers Local 889 was chartered in 1940 to service white collar workers at Chrysler plants and suppliers in southeastern Michigan. The records of the local reflect the activities of its many units including Amplex, Auto Equipment Co., Hudson Sales, Kaiser-Frazer, King-Seeley, Tank Plant, Jefferson-Kerchival, Dodge Main, Marysville Parts, Mopar, Dodge Truck, and John R-Highland Park.
Dates: 1943 - 1965
Abstract Owen Bieber began his career with the United Auto Workers in Michigan and went on to hold numerous regional and national positions before he was elected the UAW's sixth president in 1983, serving four terms. During his presidency, Canadian auto workers pulled out of the union, American auto companies downsized, and competition from foreign auto companies increased. He is credited with diversifying the UAW by inviting new members from areas outside industrial sectors. As president, Bieber also...
Dates: 1970 - 1995; Majority of material found within 1984 - 1994
- Labor unions 8
- Automobile industry and trade 6
- Automobile industry workers 3
- Civil rights 2
- Grievance arbitration 2
- Strikes and lockouts 2
- Arbitration, Industrial 1
- Communism 1
- Contracting out 1
- Labor unions--Factionalism 1
- Older people 1
- Oral histories 1
- Political action committees 1
- Politics, Practical 1
- Retirees 1
- Skilled labor 1
- Sound recordings 1
- Transcripts 1
- Unemployment insurance 1
- Women in the labor movement 1
- Workers' compensation 1 ∧ view less
- General Motors Corporation 5
- Ford Motor Company 3
- AFL-CIO 1
- Bieber, Owen 1
- Forbes, Kenneth 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. Local 900 (Wayne, Mich.) 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. Local 22 (Detroit, Mich.) 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. Local 7 (Detroit, Mich.) 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. Local 889 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. New Directions 1
- Morris, Ken, 1915-2008 1
- North American Free Trade Agreement (1992 December 17) 1
- Progressive Party (U.S. : 1948) 1
- Savela, Edward 1
- Sweet, Sam, 1911- 1
- United States. Congress. House. Committee on Un-American Activities 1 ∧ view less
∨ view more
∨ view more