Showing Collections: 1 - 7 of 7
Abstract Labor Notes (officially titled the Labor Education and Research Project) is a media and organizing project for union rank and file activists based out of Detroit, Michigan. Best known for their self-titled monthly magazine, Labor Notes also publishes books, hosts a bi-annual conference, and runs organizing workshops and seminars for Union locals throughout North America. Since 1979 they have served an important networking and organizing role in the labor community, working to strengthen the...
Dates: 1965 - 2007; Majority of material found within 1985 - 1999
Abstract A nephew of William F. Quesse, SEIU's founder and first International President, William McFetridge began his career with SEIU in 1923 as a member of Chicago's Flat Janitors Local 1. In 1927 he assumed the position of SEIU Third Vice President and then ascended to the position of SEIU 1st Vice President in 1930, a position he maintained until April of 1940, when he became President of the International. The records comprising this collection chronicle McFetridge's last years as President of...
Dates: 1936 - 1963
Abstract The UAW Chrysler Department was formed in the year following the tumultuous sit-down strikes of 1937. Responsible of the department included planning, developing, negotiating, and administering collective bargaining agreements for Chrysler workers in the United States and Canada. The records of the department reflect its administration and activities and largely include the files of Arthur Hughes, an administrative assistant and assistant director in the department from 1940-1978.
Dates: 1938 - 1985
Abstract United Automobile, Aircraft, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America (AFL-CIO) Local 53 represented the workers at Automatic Division of Yale and Towne Industries. The records reflect the local's militant stance towards company-worker relations, demonstrating an evolution of grievance procedures and contract negotiations.
Dates: 1957 - 1968; Majority of material found within 1958 - 1964
Abstract UAW Local 600 was chartered August 9, 1938, but did not gain much worker support until the Rouge plant-wide strike of April 1, 1941. The first UAW contract with Ford Motor Company was signed June 20, and ratified by the Local July 22, 1941. With 50,000 to 80,000 members in various periods, many from the massive River Rouge Complex, Local 600 has been both the largest and the most controversial local in the UAW. Local 600 is also known for its progressive streak, having hosted civil rights icons...
Dates: 1935 - 2012
Abstract United Auto Workers Local 650 grew out of Local 182 in Lansing, MI representing Reo Motors employees. The local survived a company bankruptcy and reorganization in the late 1930s and early 1940s and numerous company-union conflicts in the post WWII period. The records of the local reflect its operations and activities upon behalf of its members.
Dates: 1937 - 1964
Abstract United Auto Workers Local 833 has had divisive history between workers at the Kohler Co. in Kohler, WI and their employers. First organized in 1933 by the American Federation of Labor, workers were soon embroiled in a jurisdictional dispute with a company-formed union, the Kohler Workers' Association (KWA). Following a strike, the KWA won the bid from the NLRB to represent workers, but leadership soon became dissatisfied and voted in 1952 to join the UAW.
Dates: 1897 - 1965; Majority of material found within 1933 - 1960
- Labor unions 6
- Collective bargaining 4
- Automobile industry and trade 3
- Grievance procedures 3
- Labor unions -- Organizing 3
- Arbitration, Industrial 2
- Labor disputes 2
- Labor unions -- Jurisdictional disputes 2
- African Americans 1
- Automobile industry workers 1
- Communism 1
- International labor activities 1
- Labor education 1
- Labor literature 1
- Labor unions -- Factionalism 1
- Plant shutdowns 1
- Right to work 1 ∧ view less
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America 3
- Dodge Revolutionary Union Movement 1
- International Union, United Automobile Workers of America (CIO). Local 833 (Sheboygan Falls, Wis.) 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. Chrysler Department 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. Ford Local 600 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. Local 53 1
- Labor Education & Research Project (U.S.) 1
- Labor Notes 1
- McFetridge, William 1
- Meany, George, 1894-1980 1
- Moody, Kim 1
- Parker, Mike 1
- Reuther, Walter, 1907-1970 1
- Service Employees International Union 1
- Slaughter, Jane, 1949- 1
- United States. Labor Management Relations Act, 1947 1
- United States. National Labor Relations Board 1
- United States.. Senate Select Committee on Improper Activities in Labor and Management 1
- Zander, Arnold S. (Arnold Scheuer), 1901-1975 1 ∧ view less
∨ view more
∨ view more