Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 10
Abstract David Elsila is an activist, educator, writer, editor, and historian best known for his work involving the labor movement. He notably served as the longtime editor for the UAW's magazine Solidarity, managing the publication from 1977 to 1998. Before then, he was editor for the American Federation of Teacher's publications American Teacher and Changing Education. Elsila's work with the AFT is the subject of the...
Dates: 1964 - 1999; Majority of material found within 1968 - 1999; 1970 - 2012
Abstract 'Bill' Williams was a prominent figure in CIO Local 76 (later UAW Local 560), Ford Motor Co. assembly plant in Richmond, CA., helping to organize workers and serve as an officer. His papers reflect events at the plant surrounding the jurisdictional rivalry between the AFL and the CIO and eventual designation as a UAW shop.
Dates: 1936 - 1967; Majority of material found within 1937 - 1958
Collection — Container: Small Processed Collections: W-Z, Box 15, Folder: 13
Abstract Robert Wright served as president of United Auto Workers (UAW) Local 274. Mr. Wright's papers document the 1944 Chicago Dodge plant election between the International Association of Machinists Lodge 113 and UAW Local 274, and the campaigns of factions within Local 274.The Robert Wright Collection consists primarily of handbills and other material documenting the 1944 election between International Association of Machinists Lodge 113 and UAW Local 274 to represent workers at the...
Dates: 1944 - 1945
Abstract United Auto Workers Local 57 began as an American Federation of Labor local and servicing the Fort Wayne Works of International Harvester Company in Fort Wayne, IN. The local received recognition as sole bargaining agent for employees in 1940 after a long struggle with management, the company union, and an independent union. Their records reflect these activities as well as the general operations of the local.
Dates: 1933 - 1969; Majority of material found within 1978 - 1982
Abstract United Auto Workers Local 200 was formed to service employees at the Ford Motor Co. Windsor, Ontario. The records of the local document a 1951 strike, U.S. immigration problems, and UE relations with the Canadian Congress of Labour in 1950, among routine records of operations and activities.
Dates: 1962 - 1964
Abstract Local 240 is an amalgamated UAW-CIO local representing salaried and office employees in Windsor, Ontario. This local was certified on March 17, 1944, as the collective bargaining agent for certain salaried and office employees employed by Ford Motor Company of Canada in its Windsor offices. The first collective bargaining agreement with Ford was signed in 1946.
Dates: 1938 - 1955
Abstract Established in 1939 when the International Executive Board revoked the charter of pro-Martin Local 118, United Auto Workers Local 664 serviced members at Fisher Body, Chevrolet, and Prophet Company in North Tarrytown, NY. The records reflect the Martin controversy, strikes, conferences, and other activities of the local.
Dates: 1939 - 1961
Abstract United Auto Workers Local 833 has had divisive history between workers at the Kohler Co. in Kohler, WI and their employers. First organized in 1933 by the American Federation of Labor, workers were soon embroiled in a jurisdictional dispute with a company-formed union, the Kohler Workers' Association (KWA). Following a strike, the KWA won the bid from the NLRB to represent workers, but leadership soon became dissatisfied and voted in 1952 to join the UAW.
Dates: 1897 - 1965; Majority of material found within 1933 - 1960
Abstract Local 887 of the United Auto Workers was borne out of labor struggles between its predecessor union, UAW-CIO Local 683, and North American Aviation in Los Angeles, CA shortly before American involvement in WWII. Because of the company's production of military aircraft, the federal government has historically been closely involved with labor disputes affecting Local 887's members. The records of UAW Local 887 reflect the union's long struggle with management over such issues as wages and union...
Dates: 1938 - 1986; Majority of material found within 1950 - 1977
Abstract United Auto Workers Local 932 was chartered in 1961, providing service to the Minneapolis-Moline Division of Motec Industries, Inc. in Minneapolis, MN. The local was embroiled in an intense rivalry many years prior to its chartering, between the United Electrical, Radio and Machine Workers of America and the UAW over who had the rights to service the local.
Dates: 1937 - 1964; Majority of material found within 1940 - 1961
- Labor unions 6
- Strikes and lockouts 5
- Labor unions -- Organizing 4
- Labor unions--Jurisdictional disputes 4
- Contract negotiations 3
- Grievance procedures 3
- Arbitration, Industrial 2
- Automobile industry and trade 2
- Collective bargaining 2
- Labor unions--Factionalism 2
- Aerospace industries 1
- Automobile industry workers 1
- Civil rights 1
- Journalism 1
- Periodical editors 1
- Teachers' unions 1
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975--Protest movements--United States 1
- World War, 1939-1945 1 ∧ view less
- Reuther, Walter, 1907-1970 3
- Ford Motor Company 2
- National Labor Relations Bureau (U.S.) 2
- American Federation of Teachers. Convention 1
- American Federation of Teachers. Executive Council. Meeting 1
- American Federation of Teachers. Workers Education Local 189 1
- General Motors Corporation 1
- International Union, United Automobile Workers of America (CIO). Local 833 (Sheboygan Falls, Wis.) 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. Local 240 (Windsor, ON, Canada) 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. Local 664 (North Tarrytown, NY) 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. Local 932 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Implement Workers of America. Local 57 1
- Shanker, Albert 1
- United States. National Labor Relations Board 1
- United States.. Senate Select Committee on Improper Activities in Labor and Management 1
- Washington Labor for Peace 1
- Wayne State University. Labor Studies Center 1
- Williams, M. A., labor leader 1
- Wright, Robert 1 ∧ view less
∨ view more
∨ view more