Showing Collections: 1 - 25 of 32
Abstract Emma Lazaroff Schaver (March 15, 1905 - February 4, 2003) was best known as a Jewish opera and folk singer and Labor Zionist. She was a member of the first Jewish delegation to the Displaced Persons camps after World War II where she sang to survivors of the Holocaust. She toured the United States, Canada, Europe and South and Central America as a soprano with various opera companies and as a soloist. Along with her husband, Morris Schaver, Emma was respected for promoting Jewish culture in the...
Dates: 1910 - 2000; Majority of material found within 1923 - 1975
Abstract The Folklore Archive, established in 1939 by WSU English professors Emlyn Gardner and Thelma James, contains the oldest and largest record of urban folk traditions in the United States. To document these traditions, Wayne State University students conducted field research projects that included oral history interviews. Collection consists of audio recordings of 55 interviews (or aggregations of multiple interviews on a single topic) conducted by student interviewer-collectors, some of which,...
Dates: 1961 - 1989; Majority of material found within 1968 - 1971
Abstract The Folklore Archive, established in 1939 by WSU English professors Emlyn Gardner and Thelma James, contains the oldest and largest record of urban folk traditions in the United States. To document these traditions, Wayne State University students conducted field research projects covering a broad range of topics. These projects typically consist of transcripts of oral interviews conducted by the students as part of their research. The collection is strong in modern industrial and occupational...
Dates: 1939 - 1995
Abstract Adat Shalom Synagogue was founded as the Northwest Hebrew Congregation and Center in 1944. The Adat Shalom papers reflect the activities of the congregation and its member organizations. Included in the collection are the papers of Rabbi Jacob Segal and the papers of the office of the congregation's Executive Director.
Dates: 1934 - 1995; Majority of material found within 1950 - 1970
Abstract The Auxiliary for the Jewish Home and Aging Services (formerly the Jewish Home for the Aged) was established along with the incorporation of the first Jewish Old Folks Home in Detroit in 1907. This organization has also been know as the Jewish Home for the Aged Auxiliary and is most recently known as Jewish Senior Life Auxiliary. It was primarily a women’s service organization until the mid-1930s, when it formally became the Auxiliary. Its mission is to render services to and enhance the lives...
Dates: 1933 - 2007
Abstract The Benyas Photographic Negative Collection was donated to the JFMD Jewish Community Archives by photographer Bob Benyas in 1991. Benyas's photographs, here in negative form, document the activities of the Detroit area Jewish community, primarily the Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit and its many divisions and committees, including events such as annual meetings, campaign events, dignitary visits, and the Jewish Book Fair. Among the organizations included are the Jewish Community...
Dates: 1950 - 1996
Abstract Birmingham Temple was founded by Rabbi Sherwin T. Wine and chartered in 1963. The temple's records reflect its activities and contain items relating to the Jewish community in metropolitan Detroit.
Dates: 1960 - 2013
Overview The Livonia Jewish Congregation was organized in 1959, later changing its name to Congregation Beit Kodesh in 1990. Throughout its existence, the congregation held Shabbat services, maintained a religious school, and was active in numerous community and social service projects. The congregation disbanded in 2011. The Livonia Jewish Congregation/Congregation Beit Kodesh Records include administrative records, bar and bat mitzvah records, Chai dinner booklets, legal documents, minutes, and...
Dates: 1957 - 2011
Abstract The microfilm collection is comprised of The Jewish American (1901-1911), official organ of Temple Beth El in Detroit, and The Jewish Chronicle (1916-1951), forerunner of The Jewish News and The Detroit Jewish News.
Dates: 1901 - 1951
Abstract Hadassah, the Women's Zionist Organization of America, was founded in 1912 by Henrietta Szold in New York City with a mission to provide health care to the people living in Palestine. In 1916, Szold visited Detroit and helped start a local Hadassah chapter. Through its fundraising efforts Hadassah supports local, charitable projects as well as healthcare, research, education and social services programs in Israel.
Dates: 1916 - 2018; Majority of material found within 1950 - 1990
Abstract The B’nai B’rith Hillel Foundation (“Hillel”) dates back to 1923, when it was founded as a support system for Jewish students at colleges with small Jewish populations. In the mid-1990s, Hillel split from B’nai B’rith, renaming itself Hillel: The Foundation for Jewish Campus Life.The Hillel Foundation at Wayne State University (WSU) was founded in 1945. Since its inception, it has undergone several name changes, including Metro Detroit Hillel; As of 2017 it is known as...
Dates: 1943 - 2013
Abstract The Janice Charach Gallery was established by Natalie and Manny Charach on June 13, 1990, in memory of their daughter Janice Charach, a young and accomplished artist. In the fall of 1990, ground broke on a 7,200-square-foot art wing at the Maple-Drake Jewish Community Center in West Bloomfield, Michigan. The Charach Gallery officially opened with its premier exhibition “The Art of Collection: The Jewish Collector’s Experience” in July 1991. In 2015, the gallery celebrated its 25th...
Dates: 1991 - 2012
Abstract JARC, formerly the Jewish Association for Retarded Citizens, was incorporated in 1969 as the Parents Association for Jewish Residential Care. The papers reflect the activities of JARC, a non-sectarian, non-profit agency, which provides residential, vocational and recreational services for developmentally disabled children and adults in Oakland County, Michigan. Advocacy and family assistance programs are also part of JARC's mission.
Dates: 1969 - 1994
Abstract The Jewish Centers Association was formally organized in 1926, located on Melbourne near Woodward Avenue in Detroit. Its purpose was to provide recreational, cultural, and informal educational activities for the Detroit Jewish community. These records include JCC programming and events at its many locations, from the Fenkell Branch to the West Bloomfield campus, from 1935 to 2005. The materials include meeting minutes from various governing groups and papers from the Jewish Book...
Dates: 1935 - 2005; Majority of material found within 1970 - 2005
Abstract The Jewish Community Council was established in 1937 as an umbrella organization to serve as a unifying force for Jewish organizations of metropolitan Detroit.The records of the Council document the organization's operational activities, programming, and publications, and the interests of the organization as related to issues such as anti-Semitism, discrimination and the civil rights movement, church-state relations and education, Israeli and Middle Eastern affairs, Zionism, and the...
Dates: 1937 - 1984
Abstract Jewish Family Service of Metropolitan Detroit (JFS) is a social service organization for the Detroit area Jewish community. Founded in 1928, the organization was created from the joining of the Hebrew Ladies Sewing Circle and the Self Help Circle. JFS mostly aided Jewish families new to America until the aftermath of the WWII. After the war, JFS worked towards the resettlement of Holocaust survivors and Jewish refugees displaced by the Soviet Union. Today, JFS performs a variety of social...
Dates: 1918 - 2000
Abstract The Jewish Welfare Federation, later known as the Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit (JFMD), and its various divisions and agencies maintained files of minutes of their leadership meetings and collected material pertaining to their organization in scrapbooks. This collection includes the microfilmed minute books of the Jewish Welfare Federation, United Jewish Charities and the Detroit Service Group, as well as scrapbooks of the Jewish Federation and its Women’s Division, and the Hebrew...
Dates: 1899 - 1995; Majority of material found within 1930 - 1989
Abstract The Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit (Federation or JFMD) is an umbrella organization for many Jewish social service agencies in the Detroit metropolitan area that promotes philanthropy and volunteerism in the Detroit Jewish community. The papers of the Federation document the activities of the organization, its history, and the activities of its member organizations and of organizations with which it has affiliated, including the Council of Jewish Welfare Federations,...
Dates: 1899 - 2005; Majority of material found within 1950 - 2000
Abstract This collection of videos includes many JFMD activities and special events from the 1980s through 2013 including annual meetings, board of governors meetings, promotional pieces and interviews. It also includes videos from JFMD’s agency, the Agency for Jewish Education (AJE), including events and teacher conferences from the 1990s through 2006. All contents are videotapes unless otherwise noted (zip disk, DVDs).
Dates: 1977 - 2013; Majority of material found within 1980 - 2005
Abstract Leonard N. Simons (1904-1995) was a business man active in the Detroit secular and Jewish communities. His papers reflect his work with many civic and charitable organizations such Wayne State University, Wayne State University Press, Sinai Hospital of Detroit, the Detroit Historical Commission and the Detroit Historical Society. The papers also show his personal interests, such as travel and book collecting.
Dates: 1872 - 1994; Majority of material found within 1949 - 1986
Abstract In 1925, the Jewish Woman's Club of Detroit affiliated with the National Council of Jewish Women (NCJW, established in 1893) and became the National Council of Jewish Women, Detroit Section (now Greater Detroit Section). The group’s philanthropic mission remained to “promote kindness and helpfulness in general and to elevate the mental, moral and social status of young Jewish women in particular.” Over many decades NCJW-GDS has implemented many programs for child and family welfare. The...
Dates: 1891 - 2004
Overview The Neighborhood Project was established by the Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit in 1986. Its purpose was to retain a Jewish presence in the communities of Oak Park and Southfield, which were threatened by the construction of Interstate 696 and by demographic shifts. Interest-free loans were granted, and a revolving fund was established to assist in home purchases and, later, to provide home improvement loans. The project was completed in 2003 when it was deemed that the neighborhoods...
Dates: 1980 - 2003
Abstract Philip Slomovitz (1896-1993), often referred to as the dean of Jewish-American journalists, had a prolific career. He founded The Jewish News in Detroit in 1942 and for almost fifty years used the paper as a vehicle to champion Jewish causes as well as promote amity among diverse peoples. He reported on many history-making events, both locally and internationally, keeping background files to aid him in his writings. It is these files and correspondence that make up the bulk of his papers.
Dates: 1919 - 1991
Abstract Robert Aronson began his career with the Milwaukee Jewish Federation, serving as executive director beginning in 1983 and as executive vice president beginning in 1987. After six years of leadership with the Milwaukee Jewish Federation, Aronson joined the Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit (JFMD) as Chief Operating Officer, a position which he held for twenty years. The Aronson years at the JFMD saw much change and evolution including financing, expanding, and revitalizing facilities,...
Dates: 1990 - 2010
Abstract Sinai Hospital Guild was a Women's Auxiliary, established in 1952 by the hospital's board of trustees, made up of women from several Jewish community organizations around Detroit. Their focus was to establish and train a corps of volunteer who would assist in patient, clerical, and general hospital support. Their records document their activities until Sinai Hospital was closed in 2000.
Dates: 1952 - 2000
- Subject: Jews. American X
- Jewish culture: arts, media and heritage 16
- Community-based social services 6
- Community organization 5
- Detroit (Mich.) 5
- Social history 4
- Anti-Semitism 3
- Israel 3
- African Americans 2
- Community service 2
- Detroit (Mich.)--Race relations 2
- Detroit (Mich.)--Riot, 1967 2
- Ethnic groups -- United States 2
- Folk music 2
- Folk songs 2
- Folklore 2
- Hospitals-Michigan-Detroit-History 2
- Human rights 2
- Jewish religious schools 2
- Jewish women 2
- Journalism 2
- Manners and customs 2
- Michigan -- Politics and government 2
- Oral histories 2
- Polish Americans 2
- Religious life 2
- Rural-urban migration -- United States 2
- Songs, Yiddish 2
- Sound recordings 2
- Strikes and lockouts 2
- Volunteer workers in social service 2
- Women -- Folklore 2
- Women in charitable work 2
- World War, 1939-1945 2
- Zionism 2
- Allied Jewish Campaign 1
- Appalachians (People) 1
- Automobile industry and trade 1
- Charity organization 1
- Child welfare 1
- Civil rights 1
- Clinics 1
- Coal miners 1
- Community development 1
- Desegregation 1
- Desegregation in Education 1
- Detroit (Mich.) -- Intellectual Life -- 20th Century 1
- Detroit (Mich.) -- Politics and government 1
- Detroit (Mich.)--Riot, 1943 1
- Developmentally disabled 1
- Discrimination in housing 1
- Economic development 1
- Family services 1
- German Americans 1
- Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945) 1
- Home improvement loans 1
- Hospitals -- -- Administration 1
- Housing 1
- Immigrants -- United States 1
- Italian Americans 1
- Jewish college students 1
- Jewish press 1
- Labor Zionism 1
- Labor movement 1
- Labor union locals 1
- Labor unions 1
- Labor unions -- Organizing 1
- Law -- Study and teaching 1
- Medical care 1
- Medical education 1
- Mental health 1
- Neighborhoods 1
- Newspapers 1
- Nursing 1
- Older people 1
- Politics, Practical 1
- Prohibition--United States. 1
- Refugee camps 1
- Senior centers 1
- Slavic Americans 1
- Social justice 1
- Social service 1
- Songs, Hebrew 1
- Textile Workers' Strike, Lawrence, Mass., 1912. 1
- Traditional medicine 1
- Transcripts 1
- Urban legends 1
- Video recordings 1
- Vocational education 1
- Wayne County (Mich.) 1
- Women --Societies and clubs 1
- Women in the labor movement 1
- Women volunteers 1
- Women's rights 1 ∧ view less
- Leonard N. Simons Jewish Community Archives 11
- Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit 10
- Sinai Hospital of Detroit 3
- Slomovitz, Philip 2
- Wayne State University. Folklore Archives 2
- Adat Shalom 1
- Aronson, Robert 1
- Benyas, Bob 1
- Birmingham Temple (Birmingham, Mich.) 1
- Cavanagh, Jerome P. 1
- Cavanagh, Mark 1
- Congregation Beit Kodesh (Livonia, Mich.) 1
- Democratic Party (Mich.) 1
- Franklin, Leo M. (Leo Morris), 1870-1948 1
- Girardin, Ray 1
- Greater Detroit Chapter of Hadassah 1
- Greene, Robert J. 1
- Hadassah, the Women’s Zionist Organization of America 1
- Hillel of Metropolitan Detroit 1
- Industrial Workers of the World 1
- JARC 1
- Janice Charach-Epstein Museum/Gallery 1
- Jewish Community Center of Metropolitan Detroit 1
- Jewish Community Council (Detroit, Mich.) 1
- Jewish Family Service 1
- Jewish Home for the Aged (Detroit, Mich.) 1
- Kelman, Maurice 1
- Legere, Ben 1
- Livonia Jewish Congregation 1
- National Council of Jewish Women. Greater Detroit Section 1
- Panush, Sol 1
- Pioneer Women (Organization: U.S.) 1
- Robbins, Matilda 1
- Sheyṿer, Ema 1
- The Jewish American 1
- The Jewish Chronicle 1
- Wayne State University 1
- Young, Coleman A. 1
- Zionist Organization of America 1 ∧ view less
∨ view more
∨ view more