Showing Collections: 1 - 5 of 5
Abstract This collection focuses on the efforts of the Legislation and Political Education Department to establish programs within AFSCME, government agencies and alongside other unions and agencies. The Department's activities can be divided into five areas: legislation, political action, community affairs, relations with government agencies, and international affairs. Important subjects covered in this collection are the Hatch Act, voter registration, fund raising and contribution rules and...
Abstract Labor lawyer Maurice Sugar established the Buck Dinner in 1929. Meeting annually in locations throughout metropolitan Detroit, the Buck Dinner Committee provides financial support to advocacy groups involved in civil rights, equality, and social justice. Each year the committee picks “Head Hunters” to invite guests to these dinners to donate money. After they collect funds, the committee meets to decide which organizations need money to continue their activities. A sample of recipient...
Abstract The Michigan Labor History Society, founded in 1977, is a local organization committed to fostering interest, understanding, and research regarding the contributions of the working men and women of Michigan. This collection consists of records relating to MLHS research, events, and commemorative efforts, with the bulk of the records pertaining to the Michigan Labor Legacy Project, an art installation commemorating worker contributions to Detroit and Michigan.
Abstract The Wayne State Fund governed the Alumni Giving Council, campus beautification, the Anthony Wayne Society, and also selected which scholarships and memorial funds to donate monies to. The Fund determined how funds would be allocated and transferred to meet departmental needs, special projects, telephone drives, awards and scholarships. The collection contains committee by-laws, correspondence, minutes, ledgers, and other materials documenting funding and fundraising organizations within WSU....
Abstract In 1949, 17,000 women volunteers helped the United Foundation achieve success with its Torch Drive campaign. In 1954, it was decided that an auxiliary women’s group would be formed to work year-round in support of United Foundation projects. It was called the United Foundation Women’s Organization (UFWO). By 1964, the name was changed to Women for the United Foundation (WUF). The organization works under a set of by-laws and consists of an Executive Board, Board of Directors, Advisory Board,...
- Subject: Fund raising X