Skip to main content Skip to search results

Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4

Avern L. Cohn Papers

 Collection
Identifier: UP001945
Abstract The materials in this collection represent the scope of Judge Avern Cohn’s professional life and his wide-ranging interests and activities, from family matters to philanthropy to leisure travel. The collection includes correspondence, opinions and orders, speeches and writings, scrapbooks, files on a large array of subjects and some audio-visual materials. In his several decades on the federal bench, Cohn was involved in cases involving a variety of issues including tax law, civil rights,...
Dates: 1939 - 2013; Majority of material found within 1960 - 2000; Majority of material found within 1980 - 2003

JCA: JARC Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR001521
Abstract JARC, formerly the Jewish Association for Retarded Citizens, was incorporated in 1969 as the Parents Association for Jewish Residential Care. The papers reflect the activities of JARC, a non-sectarian, non-profit agency, which provides residential, vocational and recreational services for developmentally disabled children and adults in Oakland County, Michigan. Advocacy and family assistance programs are also part of JARC's mission.
Dates: 1969 - 1994

JCA: Jewish Community Council Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR001726
Abstract The Jewish Community Council was established in 1937 as an umbrella organization to serve as a unifying force for Jewish organizations of metropolitan Detroit.The records of the Council document the organization's operational activities, programming, and publications, and the interests of the organization as related to issues such as anti-Semitism, discrimination and the civil rights movement, church-state relations and education, Israeli and Middle Eastern affairs, Zionism, and the...
Dates: 1937 - 1984

JCA: Sinai Hospital Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR001813
Abstract Sinai Hospital was created out of a demand for a hospital that would provide staff affiliations for Jewish doctors and care for patients in Detroit, free of the discrimination found in hospitals in the early 1900s. Through considerable fund raising over many decades, the hospital broke ground in 1951, opened in 1953 and underwent tremendous growth and development over the years. Sinai Hospital was sold to the Detroit Medical Center in 1997. It was closed in 1999 and merged with Grace Hospital...
Dates: 1900 - 1999; Majority of material found within 1950 - 1999