Skip to main content Skip to search results

Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4

American Federation of Teachers Research Department: Contracts

 Collection
Identifier: LR002886
Abstract The Research Department of the American Federation of Teachers is one of the oldest departments of within the AFT and this particular collection contains collective bargaining contracts negotiated by AFT affiliates and from the NEA, AAUP and other unions that represent teachers in K-16, paraprofessionals, nurses and public employees.
Dates: 1956 - 2014

Flora Hommel Papers

 Collection
Identifier: UP002090
Abstract Flora Suhd Hommel was one of the pioneers who brought the Lamaze psychoprophylactic method of painless childbirth to the United States, establishing an important teaching organization in Detroit, the Childbirth Without Pain Education Association (CWPEA). She championed the rights of women to control childbirth, creating a grass-roots movement contemporaneous with the women’s movement of the 1960s-1970s. Hommel and the CWPEA were important catalysts in establishing similar childbirth and...
Dates: 1950 - 2005; Majority of material found within 1950 - 1989

Grace Hospital Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR001352
Abstract Grace Hospital opened for patients in December, 1888 with seventy-five beds. It expanded rapidly over the next several decades, serving over 15,000 inpatients and 90,000 outpatients by its fiftieth year, 1938, and opening the Northwest Branch in 1942. Building additions in 1953 and 1964 made Grace the second largest voluntary non-profit hospital in Michigan. Grace and Harper Hospitals merged in 1973 and consolidated with other hospitals in the newly-created Detroit Medical Center in 1985. The...
Dates: 1880 - 1993

Wayne University Medical Science Center Records

 Collection
Identifier: WSR000510
Abstract The Medical Science Center was organized as a nonprofit corporation at the request of the Detroit Board of Education. Its mission was to raise money for, and build one of the world's outstanding medical centers in Detroit, affiliated with Wayne University. Capital costs were to be borne by foundation support and private donations, but unsuccessful in this endeavor, the Center was finally dissolved in 1951.
Dates: 1940 - 1952; Majority of material found within 1942 - 1946