Skip to main content Skip to search results

Showing Collections: 1 - 9 of 9

Detroit Academy of Medicine Records

 Collection
Identifier: WSR002178
Abstract The Detroit Academy of Medicine was first organized on September 21, 1869, in part as an outgrowth of the establishment of the Detroit Medical College in 1868. Its object was the development of closer professional and social relationships between members of the medical profession in Detroit. It’s membership was kept small in the interest of promoting easily assembled gatherings where all could have a chance to speak and present, and the organization did not seek to encompass the whole of the...
Dates: 1869 - 2014; Majority of material found within 1902 - 1989

Detroit Commission on Community Relations (DCCR) / Human Rights Department Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR000267
Abstract The Commission on Community Relations evolved from the City of Detroit Mayor's Interracial Committee in 1953 and was renamed in 1974 as the Human Rights Department. All three iterations served a common purpose: to make recommendations to improve governmental services affecting racial relations, and to promote understanding between the races. Minutes, correspondence, and case studies document the Commission's efforts to achieve these goals.Topics covered include affirmative action,...
Dates: 1940 - 1984

Grace Hospital Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR001352
Abstract Grace Hospital opened for patients in December, 1888 with seventy-five beds. It expanded rapidly over the next several decades, serving over 15,000 inpatients and 90,000 outpatients by its fiftieth year, 1938, and opening the Northwest Branch in 1942. Building additions in 1953 and 1964 made Grace the second largest voluntary non-profit hospital in Michigan. Grace and Harper Hospitals merged in 1973 and consolidated with other hospitals in the newly-created Detroit Medical Center in 1985. The...
Dates: 1880 - 1993

Harold Mack, M.D. Papers

 Collection
Identifier: WSP000227
Abstract Harold Mack, M.D. was a professor of gynecology and obstetrics at Wayne State University School of Medicine, joining the faculty in 1931 and eventually becoming Chair. He retired Professor Emeritus in 1970. His papers primarily reflect his writings and achievements, as well as his involvement in the Detroit medical community.
Dates: 1912 - 1969; Majority of material found within 1947 - 1963

JCA: Sinai Hospital Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR001813
Abstract Sinai Hospital was created out of a demand for a hospital that would provide staff affiliations for Jewish doctors and care for patients in Detroit, free of the discrimination found in hospitals in the early 1900s. Through considerable fund raising over many decades, the hospital broke ground in 1951, opened in 1953 and underwent tremendous growth and development over the years. Sinai Hospital was sold to the Detroit Medical Center in 1997. It was closed in 1999 and merged with Grace Hospital...
Dates: 1900 - 1999; Majority of material found within 1950 - 1999

Laertus Connor Papers

 Collection
Identifier: WSP000396
Abstract Dr. Laertus Connor was Professor of Diseases of the Eye and Ear and Clinical Opthamology and Otology at the Detroit College of Medicine in the late 1800s and early 1900s. His papers consist of a scrapbook of newspaper clippings and commencement programs concerning medical education around that time.
Dates: 1876 - 1891

Metropolitan Coalition of Women Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR000816
Abstract Mrs. Jeannette Cleary, Vice-President of the Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom, organized the Metropolitan Coalition of Women in early 1968. Over forty women's organizations from metropolitan Detroit responded to a call from Mrs. Cleary in the aftermath of the 1967 riot and voted in February to organize a coalition, which would meet monthly to "establish better communications in the community among all peoples in order to reduce tension and create greater understanding towards...
Dates: 1968 - 1973

Mildred Jeffrey Papers

 Collection
Identifier: LP000300
Abstract Mildred Jeffrey worked as an organizer for the Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America, as Educational Director of the Pennsylvania Joint Board of Shirt Workers, as a consultant to the War Labor Board, as Director of the United Auto Workers (UAW) Women’s Bureau, and as Director for UAW Community Relations and Consumer Affairs Departments. Ms. Jeffrey was also active in the Democratic Party and was a founding member and chair of the National Organization of Women’s (NOW) political arm, the...
Dates: 1920 - 2004; Majority of material found within 1950 - 1979

National Organization for Women (NOW): Downriver Chapter Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR001227
Abstract The Downriver chapter of NOW was formed in 1974 by Loretta Moore, a Wayne State University professor, who was elected the chapter’s first president. The chapter was active in supporting local, state and national policy concerning women’s rights, participated in marches, rallies and walkathons and also endorsed pro-women’s rights candidates. They hosted and participated in numerous programs for local women, set up networks and resources for the community, established a library for members...
Dates: 1971 - 1994

Filtered By

  • Subject: Education X
  • Subject: Medical care X
  • Subject: Medical care X

Filter Results

Additional filters:

Subject
Medical care 8
Medical education 5
Abortion 3
Education 3
Civil rights 2
∨ view more  
Names
Wayne State University 2
Blue Cross Blue Shield 1
Coalition of Labor Union Women (U.S.) 1
Connor, Laertus, Dr. 1
Democratic Party (Mich.) 1