Skip to main content Skip to search results

Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4

Folklore Archive: Student Field Projects Oral Histories

 Collection
Identifier: WSOH002714
Abstract The Folklore Archive, established in 1939 by WSU English professors Emlyn Gardner and Thelma James, contains the oldest and largest record of urban folk traditions in the United States. To document these traditions, Wayne State University students conducted field research projects that included oral history interviews. Collection consists of audio recordings of 55 interviews (or aggregations of multiple interviews on a single topic) conducted by student interviewer-collectors, some of which,...
Dates: 1961 - 1989; Majority of material found within 1968 - 1971

Harper Hospital Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR001446
Abstract Harper Hospital was founded in May 1863 on land donated by Walter Harper. The hospitals first patients were Civil War soldiers, and it continued its designation as a military hospital during both World Wars. In 1866 Harper Hospital opened as a general hospital and would add a nursing school in 1883. The hospital's records relate to the history of both the hospital and its School of Nursing.
Dates: 1857 - 1989

Hutzel Hospital Records

 Collection
Identifier: UR001572
Abstract In November, 1868, seven members of the Ladies’ Christian Union opened the Woman’s Hospital and Foundlings’ Home in a tenement at Cass Avenue and Montcalm Street, a private, non-profit institution and the first facility in Detroit dedicated to providing care and shelter for abandoned, widowed and unwed mothers and their babies. In 1965, Woman’s Hospital changed its name to Hutzel Hospital and continued its devotion to research into the diseases of women. It is now part of the Detroit Medical...
Dates: 1868 - 1994

Marion Josephine Wright Papers

 Collection
Identifier: UP001541
Abstract Marion Josephine Wright was a registered nurse at Harper Hospital and later at Jennings Memorial Hospital in Detroit, MI. She was a member of the Board of Directors of the District Nurses Association, a Vice-President if the Detroit Council on Community Nursing, and was on the advisory committee for the Practical Nurses school. In the early 1950s, Wright was the Associate Director of Harper Hospital. During her tenure as associate director, she was the author of many articles on patient care,...
Dates: 1950 - 1970; Majority of material found within 1950 - 1957