Showing Collections: 1 - 13 of 13
Abstract The St. Louis (Missouri) Teachers Union was organized in 1935 by Paul W. Preisler, as the Teachers Union of St. Louis and St. Louis County. Its jurisdiction extended over these separate political entities in order to include members from Washington University. In 1944 the name of the local was changed to Teacher’s Federation of St. Louis and St. Louis County. Its 1948 merger with Local 680, St. Louis Vocational Teachers’ Union, extended Local 420’s jurisdiction to include “all eligible teachers...
Dates: 1951 - 2009; Majority of material found within 1962 - 2007
Abstract Detroit Typographical Union (DTU) No. 18 was established in 1852 in conjunction with the establishment of the National Typographical Union (later known as the International Typographical Union or ITU). Throughout its history the union has represented three major dailies: The Detroit News, The Detroit Free Press and The Detroit Times as well as suburban newspaper publications and non-newsprint publishers of the Detroit metropolitan area.The DTU records document its administration and...
Dates: 1897 - 1987; Majority of material found within 1930 - 1987
Abstract Jewell Mills was active in organizing the Utica Federation of Teachers and was a vice president of the Michigan Federation of Teachers. This collection contains issues surrounding teacher bargaining in the mid-1960s.
Dates: 1962 - 1968
Abstract The national position of City Delivery Director of the National Association of Letter Carriers (NALC) was created in 1972 to focus on all organizational activities relating to city delivery service, including grievances, training programs, and policies and regulations. Records in this collection reflect the activities of two directors: Gustave J. Johnson, the first City Delivery Director, and his successor, Joseph H. Johnson. The majority of the materials relate to grievances and arbitration...
Dates: 1957 - 1985; Majority of material found within 1972 - 1985
Abstract The UAW Chrysler Department was formed in the year following the tumultuous sit-down strikes of 1937. Responsible of the department included planning, developing, negotiating, and administering collective bargaining agreements for Chrysler workers in the United States and Canada. The records of the department reflect its administration and activities and largely include the files of Arthur Hughes, an administrative assistant and assistant director in the department from 1940-1978.
Dates: 1938 - 1985
Abstract United Automobile, Aircraft, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America (AFL-CIO) Local 53 represented the workers at Automatic Division of Yale and Towne Industries. The records reflect the local's militant stance towards company-worker relations, demonstrating an evolution of grievance procedures and contract negotiations.
Dates: 1957 - 1968; Majority of material found within 1958 - 1964
Abstract United Auto Workers Local 142 serviced workers at the Kaiser-Frazer Corporation Plant in Ypsilanti, Michigan.
Dates: 1945 - 1954
Abstract United Auto Workers Local 174 records include the files of Edwin Reno and reflect the relationship of the local with the companies whose employees they represented.
Dates: 1939 - 1955
Abstract United Auto Workers Local 239 serviced General Motors plant employees in Baltimore, MD. The records of the local reflect its activities as representative of Fisher Body Plant workers, before they merged with Local 678, Chevrolet assembly operations.
Dates: 1948 - 1969
Abstract UAW Local 417 was chartered in 1945. The original charter was issued to Great Lakes Greyhound Garage in Birmingham, Michigan. An amalgamated local, its membership comes primarily from auto parts companies in Detroit's northern suburbs: Clawson, Royal Oak, Birmingham, Troy, Ferndale and Sterling Heights. Dean Spooner became President of the Local in 1963, and remained in office for the remainder of the period covered by this collection. Subjects include: auto parts plants in Detroit's...
Dates: 1954 - 1983
Abstract United Auto Workers Local 650 grew out of Local 182 in Lansing, MI representing Reo Motors employees. The local survived a company bankruptcy and reorganization in the late 1930s and early 1940s and numerous company-union conflicts in the post WWII period. The records of the local reflect its operations and activities upon behalf of its members.
Dates: 1937 - 1964
Abstract United Auto Workers Local 678 originally serviced the Chevrolet plant and parts warehouse in Baltimore, MD. before merging in 1969 with Local 239, Fisher Body. The records relate to activities and operations prior to the merger.
Dates: 1940 - 1968
Abstract Originally Scovill Brass Workers Union, Local 569 of the International Union of Mine, Mill & Smelter Workers (CIO), United Auto Workers Local 1604 was chartered in 1950 and represented metal workers in Waterbury, Conn.
Dates: 1943 - 1981; Majority of material found within 1950 - 1969
- Labor unions 5
- Automobile industry and trade 4
- Contract negotiations 4
- Strikes and lockouts 4
- Labor unions -- Organizing 3
- Arbitration, Industrial 2
- Health insurance 2
- Plant shutdowns 2
- African American labor union members 1
- African Americans 1
- Apprentices 1
- Automobile industry workers 1
- Busing for School Integration 1
- Civil rights 1
- Detroit (Mich.) 1
- Equal rights amendments 1
- Grievance arbitration 1
- Housing 1
- Labor 1
- Labor unions--Jurisdictional disputes 1
- Letter carriers 1
- Newspaper employees 1
- Newspaper publishing 1
- Political action committees 1
- Politics, Practical 1
- Retired teachers 1
- Retirees 1
- Salaries -- Teachers 1
- School integration 1
- Segregation in education 1
- Teacher testing 1
- UAW Locals and Regions 1
- Unemployment insurance 1
- Workers' compensation 1 ∧ view less
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America 5
- General Motors Corporation 2
- Meany, George, 1894-1980 2
- Reuther, Walter, 1907-1970 2
- American Federation of Teachers 1
- Bluestone, Irving 1
- Coalition of Labor Union Women (U.S.) 1
- Detroit Typographical Union No. 18 (Mich.) 1
- Dodge Revolutionary Union Movement 1
- Dubose, Demosthenes 1
- Industrial Union of Marine and Shipbuilding Workers of America 1
- International Union, United Automobile Workers of America (CIO). Local 174 (Detroit, Mich.) 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. Chrysler Department 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. Local 142 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. Local 1604 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. Local 239 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. Local 53 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. Local 678 1
- Mills, Jewel 1
- Missouri ERA Coalition 1
- National Association of Letter Carriers (U.S.) 1
- Porter, Robert 1
- Roth, Herrick S., 1916- 1
- St. Louis Teachers Union (Saint Louis, Mo.) 1
- United States Postal Service 1
- United States. National Labor Relations Board 1 ∧ view less
∨ view more
∨ view more