Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Abstract While a graduate history student at the University of Alabama-Birmingham, Edward Savela conducted oral history interviews with retired Detroit-area auto workers on changes in the automobile industry as part of research for his master’s thesis. Collection consists of five interviews with retired UAW members chronicling their lengthy careers in the automobile industry in the Detroit metropolitan area. Transcripts and audio recordings available for each. Interviewees discuss apprenticeship...
Dates: 2012-05 - 2012-06
Abstract In 1973, Philip A. Korth led a project in which he and others at Michigan State University conducted interviews with individuals involved in the 1934 Auto-Lite strike in Toledo, Ohio, as part of his research on the subject. The collection consists of 30 interviews. Recordings exist for all of the interviews, and transcripts exist for 25 of them.
Abstract Ruth Milkman (1954-) is a professor of sociology at the CUNY Graduate Center and the academic director at the Joseph F. Murphy Institute for Worker Education and Labor Studies. Her professional focus is labor and labor movements, and she has published on a variety of topics revolving around work and organized labor in the United States. She received her B.A. from Brown University and her M.A. from the University of California, Berkley. Milkman’s early research focused on women workers during...
Dates: 1975 - 1994; Majority of material found within 1978 - 1991
Abstract Between 1985 and 1998, the United Auto Workers and the Walter P. Reuther Library cooperated in a project to document the careers of members of the UAW International Executive Board and important events in the history of the union. Collection consists of audio recordings, some video recordings, transcripts for 18 interviews, and a metal die of the UAW logo created for printing the transcripts. Past and current IEB members discuss their backgrounds; entry into the labor movement; early careers;...
Dates: 1985-04-30 - 1997-07-28
- Automobile industry workers 3
- Labor unions 3
- Strikes and lockouts 2
- Automation 1
- Labor leaders -- United States 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America 3
- General Motors Corporation 2
- Auto-Lite (Firm) 1
- Barnard, John 1
- Bluestone, Irving 1
- Chrysler Corporation 1
- Ford Motor Company 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. Local 900 (Wayne, Mich.) 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. Local 22 (Detroit, Mich.) 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. Local 7 (Detroit, Mich.) 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aircraft, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. Local 595 (Linden, N.J.) 1
- Korth, Philip A. 1
- Milkman, Ruth 1
- Pflug, Warner W. 1
- Ruggles, Glenn 1
- Savela, Edward 1
- Smith, Mike (Michael O.) 1 ∧ view less
∨ view more
∨ view more