Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 20
Abstract The Detroit Symphony Orchestra (DSO) grew out of an attempt by a group of ten young women in 1914 to provide Detroit with culture. A permanent home, Orchestra Hall, was built in 1919 by C. Howard Crane. The DSO performs regular subscription and special concerts, as well as provides a number of special events and programs outside of Orchestra Hall. The records of the DSO relate its administration, marketing, and public relations, as well as the orchestra's community outreach, cultural...
Abstract Emma Lazaroff Schaver (March 15, 1905 - February 4, 2003) was best known as a Jewish opera and folk singer and Labor Zionist. She was a member of the first Jewish delegation to the Displaced Persons camps after World War II where she sang to survivors of the Holocaust. She toured the United States, Canada, Europe and South and Central America as a soprano with various opera companies and as a soloist. Along with her husband, Morris Schaver, Emma was respected for promoting Jewish culture in the...
Abstract Between 1978 and 1980, Paul Sporn interviewed Michigan artists and writers active in government-sponsored arts programs during the Great Depression for his book, ...
Abstract The Folklore Archive, established in 1939 by WSU English professors Emlyn Gardner and Thelma James, contains the oldest and largest record of urban folk traditions in the United States. To document these traditions, Wayne State University students conducted field research projects, some of which included photographic records. Collection consists of 71 projects (or aggregations of multiple projects on a single topic) conducted by student interviewer-collectors. Student field research projects...
Abstract The Benyas Photographic Negative Collection was donated to the JFMD Jewish Community Archives by photographer Bob Benyas in 1991. Benyas's photographs, here in negative form, document the activities of the Detroit area Jewish community, primarily the Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit and its many divisions and committees, including events such as annual meetings, campaign events, dignitary visits, and the Jewish Book Fair. Among the organizations included are the Jewish Community...
Abstract Birmingham Temple was founded by Rabbi Sherwin T. Wine and chartered in 1963. The temple's records reflect its activities and contain items relating to the Jewish community in metropolitan Detroit.
Overview The Livonia Jewish Congregation was organized in 1959, later changing its name to Congregation Beit Kodesh in 1990. Throughout its existence, the congregation held Shabbat services, maintained a religious school, and was active in numerous community and social service projects. The congregation disbanded in 2011. The Livonia Jewish Congregation/Congregation Beit Kodesh Records include administrative records, bar and bat mitzvah records, Chai dinner booklets, legal documents, minutes, and...
Abstract The microfilm collection is comprised of The Jewish American (1901-1911), official organ of Temple Beth El in Detroit, and The Jewish Chronicle (1916-1951), forerunner of The Jewish News and The Detroit Jewish News.
Abstract The Detroit Mizrachi Records documents the activities of the Zionist organization, Detroit Mizrachi. Primarily composed of correspondence, the papers relate to national and Detroit community Zionist efforts and Jewish youth camps.
Abstract The Janice Charach Gallery was established by Natalie and Manny Charach on June 13, 1990, in memory of their daughter Janice Charach, a young and accomplished artist. In the fall of 1990, ground broke on a 7,200-square-foot art wing at the Maple-Drake Jewish Community Center in West Bloomfield, Michigan. The Charach Gallery officially opened with its premier exhibition “The Art of Collection: The Jewish Collector’s Experience” in July 1991. In 2015, the gallery celebrated its 25th...
Abstract The Jewish Centers Association was formally organized in 1926, located on Melbourne near Woodward Avenue in Detroit. Its purpose was to provide recreational, cultural, and informal educational activities for the Detroit Jewish community. These records include JCC programming and events at its many locations, from the Fenkell Branch to the West Bloomfield campus, from 1935 to 2005. The materials include meeting minutes from various governing groups and papers from the Jewish Book...
Abstract The Jewish Community Council was established in 1937 as an umbrella organization to serve as a unifying force for Jewish organizations of metropolitan Detroit.The records of the Council document the organization's operational activities, programming, and publications, and the interests of the organization as related to issues such as anti-Semitism, discrimination and the civil rights movement, church-state relations and education, Israeli and Middle Eastern affairs, Zionism, and the...
Abstract The Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit (Federation or JFMD) is an umbrella organization for many Jewish social service agencies in the Detroit metropolitan area that promotes philanthropy and volunteerism in the Detroit Jewish community. The papers of the Federation document the activities of the organization, its history, and the activities of its member organizations and of organizations with which it has affiliated, including the Council of Jewish Welfare Federations,...
Abstract Leonard N. Simons (1904-1995) was a business man active in the Detroit secular and Jewish communities. His papers reflect his work with many civic and charitable organizations such Wayne State University, Wayne State University Press, Sinai Hospital of Detroit, the Detroit Historical Commission and the Detroit Historical Society. The papers also show his personal interests, such as travel and book collecting.
Abstract Philip Slomovitz (1896-1993), often referred to as the dean of Jewish-American journalists, had a prolific career. He founded The Jewish News in Detroit in 1942 and for almost fifty years used the paper as a vehicle to champion Jewish causes as well as promote amity among diverse peoples. He reported on many history-making events, both locally and internationally, keeping background files to aid him in his writings. It is these files and correspondence that make up the bulk of his papers.
Abstract Sholem Aleichem Institute was created in 1926 to provide an independent, nonpartisan Jewish school in Detroit. It has engaged in numerous educational, cultural and social pursuits, striving to provide for its members a sense of belonging to the Jewish people through meaningful activities. One of its major aims has been to perpetuate use of the Yiddish language.
Abstract Jewish Community Archives: Small Collections is comprised of records, papers, photos, scrapbooks and artifacts, ranging in size from one item to a couple of boxes, of various individuals, families and organizations within the Jewish community of the Detroit area from the 19th century to the 1990. Individuals include Sarah Friedman, Meyer Prentis, Emma Lazaroff Schaver and Judge Charles C. Simons. Families include the Butzels and the Flayers. Organizations include the Alpha Omega dental...
Abstract The Wayne State University Department of African American Studies was formed in 1970. Its predecessor names were, the Department of Africana Studies and the Center for Black Studies. The files mainly reflect the department's activities from 1970 to 1984 with some materials dating from the mid 1960s.
Abstract This collection consists of alphabetical listings of plays with each season noted. In addition, there are clippings, programs, news releases, correspondence and annual reports are arranged chronologically by academic year beginning in September, 1925.
Abstract The Workmen's Circle is a Jewish nonprofit organization based heavily in New York City, with a number of branch organizations around the country, including Detroit, Michigan. Workmen's Circle, today, focuses on social justice activism and the promotion of Yiddish culture and education.
- Subject: Arts X
- Leonard N. Simons Jewish Community Archives 7
- Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit 4
- Wayne State University 3
- Slomovitz, Philip 2
- Benyas, Bob 1
- Birmingham Temple (Birmingham, Mich.) 1
- Congregation Beit Kodesh (Livonia, Mich.) 1
- Detroit Symphony Orchestra 1
- Federal Art Project 1
- Federal Theatre Project (U.S.) 1
- Federal Writers’ Project 1
- Franklin, Leo M. (Leo Morris), 1870-1948 1
- Goode, Selma 1
- Janice Charach-Epstein Museum/Gallery 1
- Jewish Community Center of Metropolitan Detroit 1
- Jewish Community Council (Detroit, Mich.) 1
- Livonia Jewish Congregation 1
- Mizrachi 1
- Pioneer Women (Organization: U.S.) 1
- Sheyṿer, Ema 1
- Sholem Aleichem Institute (Detroit, Mich.) 1
- Simpkins, Edward 1
- Sporn, Paul 1
- The Jewish American 1
- The Jewish Chronicle 1
- United States. Works Progress Administration 1
- Wayne State University. Folklore Archives 1 ∧ view less
∨ view more