Showing Collections: 1 - 6 of 6
Abstract While a graduate history student at the University of Alabama-Birmingham, Edward Savela conducted oral history interviews with retired Detroit-area auto workers on changes in the automobile industry as part of research for his master’s thesis. Collection consists of five interviews with retired UAW members chronicling their lengthy careers in the automobile industry in the Detroit metropolitan area. Transcripts and audio recordings available for each. Interviewees discuss apprenticeship...
Dates: 2012-05 - 2012-06
Abstract In 1973, Philip A. Korth led a project in which he and others at Michigan State University conducted interviews with individuals involved in the 1934 Auto-Lite strike in Toledo, Ohio, as part of his research on the subject. The collection consists of 30 interviews. Recordings exist for all of the interviews, and transcripts exist for 25 of them.
Abstract In 1985, an oral history was conducted with Blaine Marrin by an unidentified interviewer. Blaine Marrin was a former president of UAW Local 157 and an active UAW member since 1937. Collection consists of an audio recording of reminiscences by Marrin about his time with the UAW, as well as his prior experiences with the Mechanics Educational Society of America (MESA).
Abstract In 1985, Professor Betty Chmaj conducted an interview with Carl Salo, a Finnish immigrant who came to Detroit to work in the auto industry. This collection consists of the interview recording. Salo discusses Finnish participation in the labor movement, his early life in pre-World War I Finland, his experiences as an immigrant in the United States and his work in the automotive and tool-and-die industries.
Abstract Ruth Milkman (1954-) is a professor of sociology at the CUNY Graduate Center and the academic director at the Joseph F. Murphy Institute for Worker Education and Labor Studies. Her professional focus is labor and labor movements, and she has published on a variety of topics revolving around work and organized labor in the United States. She received her B.A. from Brown University and her M.A. from the University of California, Berkley. Milkman’s early research focused on women workers during...
Dates: 1975 - 1994; Majority of material found within 1978 - 1991
Abstract Between 1985 and 1998, the United Auto Workers and the Walter P. Reuther Library cooperated in a project to document the careers of members of the UAW International Executive Board and important events in the history of the union. Collection consists of audio recordings, some video recordings, transcripts for 18 interviews, and a metal die of the UAW logo created for printing the transcripts. Past and current IEB members discuss their backgrounds; entry into the labor movement; early careers;...
Dates: 1985-04-30 - 1997-07-28
- Labor unions 4
- Transcripts 4
- Automobile industry workers 3
- Labor movement 2
- Strikes and lockouts 2
- Automation 1
- Finns -- United States 1
- Immigrants -- United States 1
- Labor leaders -- United States 1
- Labor unions -- History 1
- Tool and die industry 1
- Video recordings 1 ∧ view less
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America 4
- General Motors Corporation 2
- Auto-Lite (Firm) 1
- Barnard, John 1
- Bluestone, Irving 1
- Chrysler Corporation 1
- Ch’maj, Betty E. M. 1
- Ford Motor Company 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. Local 900 (Wayne, Mich.) 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. Local 22 (Detroit, Mich.) 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. Local 7 (Detroit, Mich.) 1
- International Union, United Automobile, Aircraft, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. Local 595 (Linden, N.J.) 1
- Korth, Philip A. 1
- Mechanics Educational Society of America 1
- Milkman, Ruth 1
- Pflug, Warner W. 1
- Ruggles, Glenn 1
- Salo, Carl 1
- Savela, Edward 1
- Smith, Mike (Michael O.) 1 ∧ view less
∨ view more
∨ view more