Showing Collections: 1 - 3 of 3
Abstract In May 1985, Philip Mason interviewed labor lawyer and Wayne State University law faculty member Boaz Siegel. This collection consists of the interview recording. Siegel talks about his background, including his socialist upbringing, experiences as a labor educator and school teacher, his long career as a labor lawyer including his contributions to the UAW, especially the development of its benefits program, and his time in private practice and on the faculty of the Wayne State University Law...
Abstract George Edwards, Jr., son of George Clifton Edwards, attended Harvard University where he became involved with the Student League for Industrial Democracy. After coming to Detroit in 1936, he became a UAW organizer with Walter Reuther, was appointed director of the Detroit Housing Commission, and served on the Detroit Common Council. After serving in WWII, he went into private practice, followed by judgeships in the Wayne County court system. In 1956, Edwards was appointed to the Michigan State...
Dates: 1921 - 2001; Majority of material found within 1938 - 1996
Abstract OPEIU was chartered by the American Federation of Labor in 1945, and from its inception, involved itself exclusively with the field of office employment, as a separate entity from industrial employment. Local 10 grew out of the Stenographers, Typists, Bookkeepers, and Assistants Union which was established in 1929. The records of OPEIU Local 10 reflect the organizing work of the local with many organizations in the metropolitan Detroit area.
Dates: 1929 - 1983
- Courts -- United States 1
- Detroit (Mich.) -- Politics and government 1
- Detroit (Mich.) -- Race relations 1
- Employee Fringe Benefits 1
- Housing 1
- Labor lawyers 1
- Michigan -- Politics and government 1
- Oral histories 1
- Police -- community relations 1
- Sound recordings 1
- World War, 1939-1945 1
- Youth organizations 1 ∧ view less
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America 2
- AFL-CIO 1
- American Federation of Radio Artists 1
- Detroit Housing Commission 1
- Humphrey, Hubert H., 1911-1978 1
∨ view more