Showing Collections: 1 - 15 of 15
Abstract Adat Shalom Synagogue was founded as the Northwest Hebrew Congregation and Center in 1944. The Adat Shalom papers reflect the activities of the congregation and its member organizations. Included in the collection are the papers of Rabbi Jacob Segal and the papers of the office of the congregation's Executive Director.
Dates: 1934 - 1995; Majority of material found within 1950 - 1970
Abstract The Benyas Photographic Negative Collection was donated to the JFMD Jewish Community Archives by photographer Bob Benyas in 1991. Benyas's photographs, here in negative form, document the activities of the Detroit area Jewish community, primarily the Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit and its many divisions and committees, including events such as annual meetings, campaign events, dignitary visits, and the Jewish Book Fair. Among the organizations included are the Jewish Community...
Dates: 1950 - 1996
Abstract Birmingham Temple was founded by Rabbi Sherwin T. Wine and chartered in 1963. The temple's records reflect its activities and contain items relating to the Jewish community in metropolitan Detroit.
Dates: 1960 - 2013
Abstract The Detroit Mizrachi Records documents the activities of the Zionist organization, Detroit Mizrachi. Primarily composed of correspondence, the papers relate to national and Detroit community Zionist efforts and Jewish youth camps.
Dates: 1936 - 1982; Majority of material found within 1960 - 1975
Abstract Hadassah, the Women's Zionist Organization of America, was founded in 1912 by Henrietta Szold in New York City with a mission to provide health care to the people living in Palestine. In 1916, Szold visited Detroit and helped start a local Hadassah chapter. Through its fundraising efforts Hadassah supports local, charitable projects as well as healthcare, research, education and social services programs in Israel.
Dates: 1916 - 2018; Majority of material found within 1950 - 1990
Abstract The B’nai B’rith Hillel Foundation (“Hillel”) dates back to 1923, when it was founded as a support system for Jewish students at colleges with small Jewish populations. In the mid-1990s, Hillel split from B’nai B’rith, renaming itself Hillel: The Foundation for Jewish Campus Life.The Hillel Foundation at Wayne State University (WSU) was founded in 1945. Since its inception, it has undergone several name changes, including Metro Detroit Hillel; As of 2017 it is known as...
Dates: 1943 - 2013
Abstract JARC, formerly the Jewish Association for Retarded Citizens, was incorporated in 1969 as the Parents Association for Jewish Residential Care. The papers reflect the activities of JARC, a non-sectarian, non-profit agency, which provides residential, vocational and recreational services for developmentally disabled children and adults in Oakland County, Michigan. Advocacy and family assistance programs are also part of JARC's mission.
Dates: 1969 - 1994
Abstract The Jewish Apartments and Services Records spans the years 1966 through 1999. It reflects the growth and development of the agency that provides residential services for senior adults in seven facilities in the Detroit area. The Prentis and Teitel Apartments are located in Oak Park and the Hechtman and Meer Apartments in West Bloomfield, adjacent to the facilities of the then-extant Jewish Community Centers.The Apartments serve the Jewish community, primarily. However, they are...
Dates: 1966 - 1999
Abstract The Jewish Community Council was established in 1937 as an umbrella organization to serve as a unifying force for Jewish organizations of metropolitan Detroit.The records of the Council document the organization's operational activities, programming, and publications, and the interests of the organization as related to issues such as anti-Semitism, discrimination and the civil rights movement, church-state relations and education, Israeli and Middle Eastern affairs, Zionism, and the...
Dates: 1937 - 1984
Abstract This collection of videos includes many JFMD activities and special events from the 1980s through 2013 including annual meetings, board of governors meetings, promotional pieces and interviews. It also includes videos from JFMD’s agency, the Agency for Jewish Education (AJE), including events and teacher conferences from the 1990s through 2006. All contents are videotapes unless otherwise noted (zip disk, DVDs).
Dates: 1977 - 2013; Majority of material found within 1980 - 2005
Abstract Incorporated as the Jewish Old Folks Home in 1907 to provide housing for the homeless and those who no longer could maintain their homes, the Jewish Home for the Aged was at one time a state-of-the-art facility in the heart of the Detroit Jewish community. After expansion to the northwest suburbs with two full-scale nursing homes, financial and management difficulties in the 1980s led to contraction of services. The majority of the records of the Home cover the creation and operation of the...
Dates: 1907 - 1993; Majority of material found within 1960 - 1990
Abstract Leonard N. Simons (1904-1995) was a business man active in the Detroit secular and Jewish communities. His papers reflect his work with many civic and charitable organizations such Wayne State University, Wayne State University Press, Sinai Hospital of Detroit, the Detroit Historical Commission and the Detroit Historical Society. The papers also show his personal interests, such as travel and book collecting.
Dates: 1872 - 1994; Majority of material found within 1949 - 1986
Abstract Sholem Aleichem Institute was created in 1926 to provide an independent, nonpartisan Jewish school in Detroit. It has engaged in numerous educational, cultural and social pursuits, striving to provide for its members a sense of belonging to the Jewish people through meaningful activities. One of its major aims has been to perpetuate use of the Yiddish language.
Dates: 1926 - 2000; Majority of material found within 1950 - 1989
Abstract Sinai Hospital Guild was a Women's Auxiliary, established in 1952 by the hospital's board of trustees, made up of women from several Jewish community organizations around Detroit. Their focus was to establish and train a corps of volunteer who would assist in patient, clerical, and general hospital support. Their records document their activities until Sinai Hospital was closed in 2000.
Dates: 1952 - 2000
Abstract Jewish Community Archives: Small Collections is comprised of records, papers, photos, scrapbooks and artifacts, ranging in size from one item to a couple of boxes, of various individuals, families and organizations within the Jewish community of the Detroit area from the 19th century to the 1990. Individuals include Sarah Friedman, Meyer Prentis, Emma Lazaroff Schaver and Judge Charles C. Simons. Families include the Butzels and the Flayers. Organizations include the Alpha Omega dental...
Dates: 1867 - 2003
- Jews. American 11
- Jewish culture: arts, media and heritage 10
- Housing 3
- Community-based social services 2
- Jewish religious schools 2
- Senior centers 2
- Social history 2
- Social service 2
- Women in charitable work 2
- Anti-Semitism 1
- Civil rights 1
- Community organization 1
- Community service 1
- Desegregation 1
- Desegregation in Education 1
- Detroit (Mich.) 1
- Detroit (Mich.) -- Race relations 1
- Developmentally disabled 1
- Discrimination in housing 1
- Hospitals -- Michigan -- Detroit -- History 1
- Human rights 1
- Jewish college students 1
- Jewish day schools 1
- Jewish women 1
- Labor movement 1
- Older people 1
- Songs, Yiddish 1
- Video recordings 1
- Vocational education 1
- Volunteer workers in social service 1
- Women -- Societies and clubs 1
- Women volunteers 1
- Zionism 1 ∧ view less
- Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit 4
- Adat Shalom 1
- Benyas, Bob 1
- Birmingham Temple (Birmingham, Mich.) 1
- Greater Detroit Chapter of Hadassah 1
- Hadassah, the Women’s Zionist Organization of America 1
- Hillel of Metropolitan Detroit 1
- JARC 1
- Jewish Community Council (Detroit, Mich.) 1
- Jewish Home for the Aged (Detroit, Mich.) 1
- Mizrachi 1
- Sholem Aleichem Institute (Detroit, Mich.) 1
- Sinai Hospital of Detroit 1
- Wayne State University 1 ∧ view less
∨ view more
∨ view more