Showing Collections: 176 - 200 of 281
Abstract By 1965, 413 foreign students from over 45 countries were enrolled at Wayne State University; the university established the Foreign Student Advising Office for the benefit of these students. Virgil R. Lougheed directed this office from 1952 until his retirement in 1973. In addition to advising foreign students he also coordinated religious activities for foreign students. He was a member of the National Association for Foreign Student Affairs. Materials in the Foreign Student Advisor Records...
Abstract These records contain files of fraternities and sororities that were active at Wayne State University between 1932 to 2000. The bulk of the records are from the 1950s and 1960s. Some organizations were active when the university were known as the College of the City of Detroit, Wayne University and currently Wayne State University. Documents include petitions for chapters, chapter installation materials, initiation programs, information booklets, handbooks, constitutions, membership rolls,...
Abstract The Gas House Gang was established in 1920 at Wayne State University’s predecessor, the College of the City of Detroit. It was an all-male social organization on the campus. This group continued until 1957. The Gas House Gang was largely a social group for men whose Constitution had four supporting purposes: to support the college to the utmost, to oppose any mode of dress “which is unbecoming to a real man”, to do their best to obtain a high grade of scholarship, and to “respect womanhood to...
Abstract The Wayne State University Graduate Council is the governing body of the University’s Graduate School. It formulates policies concerning graduate education, sets admission standards for graduate programs. In addition it manages graduate faculty appointments, evaluates applications to all graduate programs, and awards all Ph.D. degrees, select master’s degrees, and interdisciplinary graduate certificates at Wayne State University. The Wayne State University Graduate Council is composed of...
Abstract Both the records of David L. Holmes, Director of Athletics and track coach, and the files of the Health and Physical Educational Division are contained in this collection. David L. Holmes began his tenure at Wayne University as Athletic Director of Detroit Junior College. He stayed with the University until his retirement in 1958. Primarily the David L. Holmes files in this collection concentrate on the decade of 1949-1959, and concern his duties as track coach. During World War II, most...
Abstract This collection contains annual reports (1936-1968) of the Wayne State University Student Health Service, renamed the University Health Service (or Health Service) in 1961. Also included is budget information for the years 1950-1959.
Abstract This collection contains records regarding historic preservation on Wayne State University’s campus, as well as materials related to the development of areas directly surrounding campus. The collection holds memos and records related to the Historic Advisory Committee, Historic Designation Advisory Board, the Detroit Historic Designation Board, the Campus Beautification Committee, Woodward Corridor Development, and Preservation Wayne.Additionally, it holds the records pertaining to...
Abstract The University Committee on Honorary Degrees (Honorary Degree Committee) at Wayne State University was responsible for reviewing the candidates for, and determining the recipients of, various honorary degrees from WSU. Professor Leonard Leone served as both a member and as Chairman of the Honorary Degree Committee. A Wayne alumnus, Leone became the Director of the Wayne University Theatre in 1946 and a professor of speech in 1957. In the course of his career, Leone reopened the Bonstelle...
Collection — Multiple Containers
Abstract Il Circolo Italiano, The Italian Club, was founded in 1932. Its purpose was to incorporate Italian into the Language Department of the College of the City of Detroit. Once this was accomplished, Il Circolo Italiano became an intellectual and social club. It was disbanded in 1936, reorganized in 1939, and again disbanded during World War II.
Abstract This collection contains files of the Wayne State University Information Center; represented subjects include millage campaigns, the Wayne University Foundation, Panel of Americans, Religion in Life, the Miles Poetry Room, scholarship funds, television programming, the Speakers Bureau, and the Program Planning Institute. Fund folders contain biographical data.
Abstract Stories featuring graduates were sent to their home town newspapers for the years spanning 1940 through 1968. Doctoral recipients include extensive biographical data.
Wayne State University Institute of Labor and Industrial Relations Area Manpower Institute for Development of Staff Records
Abstract The Area Manpower Institute for Development of Staff (AMIDS) was funded by the United States Department of Education, Manpower Division, and sponsored by the University of Michigan-Wayne State University, Institute of Labor and Industrial Relations. The goal of the project was to improve professional skills of staff working with vocational education, manpower, economic development, and human resources programs. Public school personnel and government agency workers were targeted. Joseph V. Tuma,...
Abstract First organized as the Friends of the Hooker Scientific Library at Fayette, Missouri in 1938. In 1942 the Hooker Library was transferred to Wayne University and enlarged. It initially consisted of books and journals focusing on the subject of chemistry. Lectures given at the Frontiers in Chemistry Lecture series are contained in the collection from 1948-1967.
Abstract In 1971, The Center of the Administration of Justice was created as a part of Wayne State University’s Law School with a grant from the Kellogg Foundation. The Center was focused on the assistance of judges in Michigan, and it advocated for the development of research and evaluation projects. Moreover, the Center hosted conferences and courses in order to bring key leaders together. The director of the Center of the Administration of Justice was B. J. George. This collection contains course...
Abstract Charles Joiner was appointed Dean Designate of the Wayne State University Law School beginning on December 1, 1967, dividing his time between this position at WSU and his position as Associate Dean at the University of Michigan Law School. He assumed his duties full-time as the Dean of the WSU Law School on June 1, 1968, formally relieving the former Dean, Arthur Neef, of his duties. This collection includes general correspondence and student and alumni lists from the WSU Law School during the...
Abstract This collection holds journals produced by the Law School of Wayne University and Wayne State University. The Gavel, first published by the Student Bar Association of Wayne University in 1952, became The Wayne Law Journal in 1953 when taken over by the Wayne University Law School. When Wayne University became Wayne State University in 1956, the journal's name was changed to The Wayne State Law Journal; in 1962, it became The Wayne Advocate. This journal ended regular publication with Volume XI...
Abstract Student directories of the Wayne State University Law School. Collection is complete for the years 1959-1976; also included are directories for the years 1956, 1988, 1991, and 1992.
Abstract This collection consists of issues of the Wayne State University Library Science Alumni Association Newsletter.
Abstract This collection consists of newsletters and other publications produced by the Wayne State University Library Science Student Association.
Abstract The Library Science Department was included in the College of Education until 1984, after which it fell under the administration of the Dean of University Libraries. The department was then renamed the Library and Information Science Program in 1993, and in 2009 the Board of Governors created the School of Library and Information Science.
Abstract Alfred L. Nelson began his career at Wayne State University when he was hired in 1925 as Chairman of the College of the City of Detroit Mathematics Department. Nelson held the position of Chair until his death in 1960. The records include correspondence, committee information, education groups, and documents from the graduate school. The collection contains correspondence and other documents relating to Harvey Cohn, who was a professor in the Mathematics Department for a brief period at Wayne...
Abstract The medical history bibliography “covers material relating to the medical history of Detroit and includes references to Wayne County, Michigan, and the United States if they have any bearing on Detroit history.”
Abstract Records of the Wayne State University Medical Education Commons from 1991 to 2008. The collection includes largely architectural plans that show the planning of this space which is a partnership between the University's Libraries and the School of Medicine.
Abstract This collection contains correspondence, publications, and other files of the Miles Modern Poetry Committee.
Abstract Monteith College, which opened to students in 1959, was a college that grew out of the idea to offer Wayne State University students the experience of a small, experimental college within the larger university setting. Monteith College was intended to offer students a new approach to curriculum, independent study, and community spirit; this approach included small study groups, discussion groups among students, better availability of professors outside classroom hours, and enrollment of no more...
- Names: Wayne State University X
- Education 25
- Detroit (Mich.) 23
- Education, Higher 14
- Oral histories 9
- Transcripts 6
- Buildings--Detroit (Mich.) 5
- Teachers Training of 5
- Universities and colleges --Faculty 5
- Child care 4
- Civil rights 4
- College sports United States 4
- College students 4
- Community education 4
- Education, Preschool 4
- Family services 4
- Labor unions 4
- Newspapers 4
- Photographs 4
- Students--Societies, etc. 4
- Urban renewal 4
- Urban youth 4
- African Americans 3
- Alumni and alumnae 3
- Cass Corridor (Detroit, Mich.) 3
- Child therapy 3
- Community service 3
- Detroit (Mich.)--Riot, 1967 3
- Education, Urban 3
- Equality 3
- Historic preservation 3
- Labor 3
- Urban development 3
- World War, 1939-1945 3
- Adult Education 2
- Architecture 2
- Architecture--Michigan--Detroit. 2
- Automobile industry and trade 2
- Centennial celebrations, etc. 2
- Child psychology 2
- City planning 2
- Communism 2
- Community activists 2
- Dance 2
- Dance -- Study and teaching 2
- Detroit (Mich.) -- Politics and government 2
- Detroit (Mich.)--Race relations 2
- Equal rights amendments 2
- Ethnic groups -- United States 2
- Home economics 2
- Housing 2
- Medical care 2
- Medical education 2
- Michigan 2
- Michigan -- Politics and government 2
- Music 2
- Peace movements 2
- Philosophy 2
- Rhythm and blues music 2
- Segregation 2
- Social workers 2
- Sound recordings 2
- Teacher educators 2
- Theater 2
- Urban universities and colleges--Michigan 2
- Women 2
- Women's rights 2
- Abortion 1
- Affirmative action 1
- Affirmative action programs 1
- Affirmative action programs -- United States 1
- African American arts 1
- African American athletes 1
- African American authors 1
- African Americans -- Medical care 1
- Agriculture 1
- Anti-racism 1
- Antinuclear movement 1
- Appalachians (People) 1
- Art--History 1
- Barrier-free design for students with disabilities 1
- Baseball 1
- Basketball 1
- Branding (Marketing) 1
- Charity 1
- Chatsworth Tower Apartments 1
- Child development 1
- Choreography 1
- Civic leaders 1
- Civil Service 1
- Civil rights--United States--Cases 1
- College campuses 1
- College students with disabilities 1
- Commencement Programs 1
- Community development 1
- Constitutional law 1
- Courts --United States 1
- Cross-country running 1
- Dance companies 1
- Deportation--United States 1
- Detroit (Mich.) Fire Department 1 ∧ view less
∨ view more